Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restaurant - Wexford Town

• 18-06-2018 12:25am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭

Heading down to Wexford on Saturday and staying in the Clayton Whites. Any recommendations of restaurants - BOA Urban Eatery looks decent? Ideally just nice steak/burgers/etc... I did try tempt herself into going to Spice Indian as it's reviews are excellent but she's not having that :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Spice is class, force her ;)

The Holy Grail I like a lot as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Dingle_berry

Cistín Eile and The Yard are good restaurants, European food. Spice is hit and miss... The Vine restaurant does good Thai food, far better than spice imo. (I know thai and Indian are different before anyone points that out! But the quality of meat etc is better in the vine imo).
    Stay away from la Cote.... Run away if it looks busy. Luke warm hot dishes, tiny portions with big prices - there's much better options.
    If you fancy chipper then The Premier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

There are some great Asian restaurants in Wexford, but it sounds like your other half wouldn't fancy it. The Yard stands out for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

She likes Asian but she's on Slimming World the last 6 months so her idea of a treat night away dinner this time around is a top quality non 5% fat burger :D

Seems The Yard has no burgers on the menu :( any other suggestions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

If it's a selection of Burgers you want the Ballast Bank Bar and Grill in the Talbot Hotel is that only place you will get that. Steak, Turkey, Veggie and Chicken Burgers.

The only other places with burgers would be the chippers or the American style diners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭Corvo

She likes Asian but she's on Slimming World the last 6 months so her idea of a treat night away dinner this time around is a top quality non 5% fat burger :D

Seems The Yard has no burgers on the menu :( any other suggestions?

Boa sounds like it would suit you. Just make sure they don't put you in the school style chairs.

So BOA or Ballast Bank Bar and Grill in the Talbot Hotel look to be the recommendations?

The menu in the Library Bar in the Clayton looks grand - anyone ever ate here?

So BOA or Ballast Bank Bar and Grill in the Talbot Hotel look to be the recommendations?

The menu in the Library Bar in the Clayton looks grand - anyone ever ate here?

The food in the Clayton is not up to scratch IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Corvo wrote: »
    Boa sounds like it would suit you. Just make sure they don't put you in the school style chairs.

School style chairs? Tell us more, sounds woeful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭Corvo

vicwatson wrote: »
    School style chairs? Tell us more, sounds woeful

Theres only a small few, but they are literally school chairs. They are extremely uncomfortable (you might see them mentioned on Trip Advisor perhaps). Probably just about tolerable for a quick lunch, but not a dinner.

They are like these ones - https://www.google.ie/search?q=old+school+chairs&safe=active&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj_0sThr-LbAhXlJcAKHXc4DW8Q_AUICigB&biw=1600&bih=822#imgrc=JSPmY-cFqDWNcM:&spf=1529502191385

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

Went to the clayton on fathers day and was surprised to see how easy it was to get a table for sunday lunch, the answer became painfully obvious.

kev1.3s wrote: »
    Went to the clayton on fathers day and was surprised to see how easy it was to get a table for sunday lunch, the answer became painfully obvious.

With the great choice in Wexford these days, anywhere that thinks it can leave food under heat lamps for hours will lose out. On that note, I was very disappointed with a lunch I had last week in Whitford. Pre-carved portions of turkey and ham sitting in a bain marie being regularly coated in gravy by the chef didn't stop it drying out. Her actions reminded me of when people pour buckets of water over beached whales to keep them hydrated

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

Hi folks. Anybody on here got any info on Donna Marina,the tapas bar. It looks good,just wondering how authentic it is,I don't want "Irish" tapas. Thanks.

Wow.

So nobody goes there I guess.

Iv got my answer by the looks of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭WicklowTiger

Uncharted wrote: »
    Hi folks. Anybody on here got any info on Donna Marina,the tapas bar. It looks good,just wondering how authentic it is,I don't want "Irish" tapas. Thanks.

It is very good. Authentic Spanish & Italian tapas. Be sure to book as it is small and extremely popular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Corvo wrote: »
    Theres only a small few, but they are literally school chairs. They are extremely uncomfortable (you might see them mentioned on Trip Advisor perhaps). Probably just about tolerable for a quick lunch, but not a dinner.

They are like these ones - https://www.google.ie/search?q=old+school+chairs&safe=active&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj_0sThr-LbAhXlJcAKHXc4DW8Q_AUICigB&biw=1600&bih=822#imgrc=JSPmY-cFqDWNcM:&spf=1529502191385

They’re just wrong

It is very good. Authentic Spanish & Italian tapas. Be sure to book as it is small and extremely popular.

Thank you. I will check it out soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭grottyblotty

Thomas Moore pub is round tne corner from the hotel.Had a superb meal there a few weeks back.

Ended up eating in the Library Bar in the Clayton Whites last night in the end as we were running a bit behind with time (Beer Gardens in Wexford are beautiful spots on a sunny day :D) so just wanted something quick to eat. I had the fish which was tasty, herself got a chicken type sandwich - wasn't great. If nothing else, the chicken breast looked as if it was butterflied and then cut down in half that's how thin the piece of meat looked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,377 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Never having heard of Italian tapas, i’m Sure it’s very authentic!

• Advertisement

Marcusm wrote: »

I read that as a typo on their behalf,as I'm sure everyone else did too.
    They were being decent posting a reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭WicklowTiger

Marcusm wrote: »

Actually it is fairly common in some parts of Italy to be brought a small plate of nibbles when you order a drink in a bar... Which is the original form of Spanish tapas as well!

I meant no disrespect on my behalf Wicklow Tiger. I appreciated your reply. Thanks again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭dragonfly!

Never had a bad meal in the restaurant there, or in bar food?

dragonfly! wrote: »
    Never had a bad meal in the restaurant there, or in bar food?

It's not exactly a busy place for diners though, is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭dragonfly!

It's not exactly a busy place for diners though, is it?

I would only be there on occasion as I'm living in North Wexford so I just kinda thought they were quiet on those nights / not many people staying in the hotel that night as theres never been anything wrong with my food and fairly priced?

Uncharted wrote: »
    Thank you. I will check it out soon.

Thoroughly enjoyed Donna Marina.
    Friendly atmosphere,nice staff.
    Really lovely meal for two with bottle of wine for under €70.
    Happy days.

Advertisement