Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Delay by car hire company issuing damage assessment

Options
  • 18-06-2018 8:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭

Hi, I rented a car from a well known car hire company in Dublin airport from April 26th to 28th this year. There was a small scratch on it when I returned the car which they noted and said I may have to pay depending on what their assessor decides. Prior to renting it I bought a yearly car hire excess insurance policy.
    So I get an email from the car hire company on June 12th telling me I need to pay 324 euro for the scratch. This is over 6 weeks after I handed the car back. I then checked my car hire excess policy and it says I have to process any claims within 31 days of the car hire.
    Do I have any comeback on this?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rock22

Hi, I rented a car from a well known car hire company in Dublin airport from April 26th to 28th this year. There was a small scratch on it when I returned the car which they noted and said I may have to pay depending on what their assessor decides. Prior to renting it I bought a yearly car hire excess insurance policy.
    So I get an email from the car hire company on June 12th telling me I need to pay 324 euro for the scratch. This is over 6 weeks after I handed the car back. I then checked my car hire excess policy and it says I have to process any claims within 31 days of the car hire.

Thanks in advance.
    It is possible you were mis-sold the insurance policy. 31 days to submit a claims seems an unreasonable condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Glass fused light

Prior to renting it I bought a yearly car hire excess insurance policy.
    .. I then checked my car hire excess policy and it says I have to process any claims within 31 days of the car hire.

Thanks in advance.
    Did you buy the insurance as part of the rental package or how?

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Some_randomer

Prior to renting it I bought a yearly car hire excess insurance policy.
    .. I then checked my car hire excess policy and it says I have to process any claims within 31 days of the car hire.

Thanks in advance.
    Did you buy the insurance as part of the rental package or how?
    No I bought a separate 1 year car hire excess policy prior to booking the car. The policy is from these guys that I have used in the past but never had to claim from:

https://www.worldwideinsure.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Thanks in advance.

Its most likely 31 days from you being charged or receiving notice that you are being charged.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

amcalester wrote: »
    Its most likely 31 days from you being charged or receiving notice that you are being charged.

Seems like it. From their claims section:
    Claims Advice
    In the event of a claim situation arising:In the event of an excess charge being made when you return the vehicle, you must pay and retain receipts to claim.
    Please submit your claim details within 31 days of you being charged by the rental company. You will be asked to provide your Policy Reference and Scheme Code.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

Ok - the document  I received after buying the policy says this:
    "In the event of a claim, please call +44 (0)203 751 1077 within 31 days of the end of the Rental Agreement."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

"In the event of a claim, please call +44 (0)203 751 1077 within 31 days of the end of the Rental Agreement."

Others have told you that the usual wording would require you to make a claim within 31 days of being charged. You seem to be trying to prove them wrong. So why even ask if you're already satisfied that you must claim within 31 days of the end of the rental. I don't understand what you are asking ppl to advise you...

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭goldenhoarde

Make the claim and see from there.

The time would have to start from the time the claim by the car hire company is issued.

Nothing to claim for until that happens as they may have assessed the damage as 0

TomOnBoard wrote: »

Others have told you that the usual wording would require you to make a claim within 31 days of being charged. You seem to be trying to prove them wrong. So why even ask if you're already satisfied that you must claim within 31 days of the end of the rental. I don't understand what you are asking ppl to advise you...
    Hi Tom, I'm simply pointing out the reason for my question in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Ok. Understood. As advised, contact them and give them a copy of the notification from the hire company. You should be OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,457 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

If you knew you had to call the claim company within 31 days of the end of the rental agreement why did you not do that? You knew there was damage that had to be paid for.

If you knew you had to call the claim company within 31 days of the end of the rental agreement why did you not do that?  You knew there was damage that had to be paid for.

Read my original question again:

"There was a small scratch on it when I returned the car which they noted and said I may have to pay depending on what their assessor decides."

They said they'd be in touch within 2 - 3 weeks if I had to pay for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,457 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

"There was a small scratch on it when I returned the car which they noted and said I may have to pay depending on what their assessor decides."

well then you should have followed up after 2 weeks.

well then you should have followed up after 2 weeks.
    Thanks for your contribution.

Advertisement