Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to Ipad

Options
  • 18-06-2018 8:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

Hi all, I have just got myself a new Apple iPad and I need a few tips please. Having got used to my old desktop Pc which operated on windows 7 , I used ( word ) a lot, and stored my work in ( my documents ) , Now I dont have word on the iPad and I don't see documents either. Thanks Sime.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

An iPad is not really similar to a PC, but you can download Word from the App Store on your iPad.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

sjfoley wrote: »
    Now I dont have word on the iPad and I don't see documents either.

Why did you buy an iPad? It sounds like you expected Word to be installed on the iPad and that your 'my documents' folder (and files) would magically apear there once you switched it on.

If word processing is a big part of your workload, you should have considered buying a cheap laptop instead. But having purchased an expensive tablet, at the very least you will need to buy a bluetooth keyboard.

You can share your PC files by installing Apple iCloud on your desktop PC, copy the files you need on the iPad to iCloud and from there access them from the iPad.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

coylemj wrote: »
    sjfoley wrote: »
    Now I dont have word on the  iPad and I don't see documents either.

Why did you buy an iPad? It sounds like you expected Word to be installed on the iPad and that your 'my documents' folder (and files) would magically apear there once you switched it on.  
    I never understand why people need to be condescending when someone is asking for tips/help.
    OP - When you get a new iPad you are entitled to download Apple's office suite. The app you need is "Pages", it works very similarly to Word.. will take some getting used to. You will also have a 5GB iCloud storage with the account that if you can transfer your "my documents" to it/iPad you can work on them then. There is an app called Files (that is iCloud access). Here's a "how to" if you wanna keep the files on the windows PC also to be able to work on both devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

I never understand why people need to be condescending when someone is asking for tips/help.
    OP - When you get a new iPad you are entitled to download Apple's office suite. The app you need is "Pages", it works very similarly to Word.. will take some getting used to. You will also have a 5GB iCloud storage with the account that if you can transfer your "my documents" to it/iPad you can work on them then. There is an app called Files (that is iCloud access). Here's a "how to" if you wanna keep the files on the windows PC also to be able to work on both devices.

Could also use the Word app and OneDrive on the iPad & desk pc.

• Advertisement

I wasn’t sure if Word was free :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

I wasn’t sure if Word was free :)

Both Word and OneDrive are free to use, but for full features and extra storage on OneDrive you need to pay for an Office 365 licence.

Gotcha. With a new iPad the OP would have to pay nothing for the Apple option. Either way they good direction now.

Advertisement