Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metropolis festival 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

mocmo wrote: »
    I too am wondering about this, are they for different areas / proximity to the stage? Anyone know?

Just cheaper for the earlier buyers. That’s all.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭spindex

What time does this finish at night time ?

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭whelzer

Whats the general set up for this like? Had to sell my EP tickets :( last minute due to medical reasons and am hoping this might go someway to filling the void!

Is there a decent seating areas? I see it is over 21s only but what has overall demographic been like in previous years?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,544 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

whelzer wrote: »
    Whats the general set up for this like? Had to sell my EP tickets :( last minute due to medical reasons and am hoping this might go someway to filling the void!

Is there a decent seating areas? I see it is over 21s only but what has overall demographic been like in previous years?

Don't think there are any seating areas with a view of the music as far as I can remember. Set up is around 4 or 5 stages located in different rooms in the RDS, Main Hall is the main stage where you will presumably have Mac Demarco, Blood Orange etc. Shelbourne Hall/Warehouse stage is the second largest. RBMA is just for dance music and DJs. Then industries hall is predominantly Irish djs and Bulmers Live is mainly Irish live acts. They also have a room for talks from artists, djs etc.

First year I thought the festival was fantastic and it was gotten gradually worse each year. Last year there were ridiculous queues for everything such as toilets, food, getting into stages and some of the rooms were way too packed. There was also a very messy crowd last year although the 2 previous years were fine, hopefully the 21s+ rule will fix that.

I feel as if every year it has been on as well at least one or two acts either didn't turn up or else missed their flights and the stage times moved around on the day. After parties are on around town then afterwards but you have to pay extra for these tickets. It is an expensive day out IMO, worth it the first year, second year was okay but after last year I don't know if I would be bothered going back.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 wes16586

Just got tickets for the Sunday. The line up seems pretty decent so far, Blood Orange, The Black Madonna and Rosin Murphy. Anyone know when the full line up will be released. In previous years they've had a legendary act to close the Sunday. Grace Jones 2015 and Chic in 2016. I'm hoping it will be The New Power Generation this year since its being organised by POD and they played ATN.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Black madonna how is she so big?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

bigpink wrote: »

Daily calorie intake exceeds daily usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Daily calorie intake exceeds daily usage.

oh, fat shaming ;)

Joking aside, she's great for proper techno in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭ILIKEFOOD

I've seen her a few times this summer. She is massively overrated. Her sets are fairly run of the mill and her own productions aren't mind blowing either.

I think she's been marketed fairly well and so she's all over the place.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

ILIKEFOOD wrote: »
    I've seen her a few times this summer. She is massively overrated. Her sets are fairly run of the mill and her own productions aren't mind blowing either.

I think she's been marketed fairly well and so she's all over the place.

We seem to get dance djs artists that just play off a laptop never live shows

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭keithkk16

We seem to get dance djs artists that just play off a laptop never live shows

There's only two DJ's on the line up so far plus the Black Madonna doesn't even use a laptop. There's 2 other live electronic dance acts on the lineup as well

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

oh, fat shaming ;)

Joking aside, she's great for proper techno in fairness.
    really? I've never heard any mix where she played techno. it's always run of the mill house, as per that mix above.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

She's very average. Don't get the hype at all.

She has some good tunes herself but I was not impressed by her at ATN, pretty sure I left and went to another DJ instead. Some DJs seem to have a certain hype around them without necessarily having the tunes to back it up. Denis Sulta is another who I have seen twice now and not been too impressed although one or two of his sets on youtube are good. If I was to have a dj wishlist for this festival I would love to see Motor City Drum Ensemble, Hunee or Palms Trax as I have never seen them before. Gerd Janson is probably the best DJ I have seen but he is playing in Wigwam later in the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Palms Trax is playing Wigwam too, Sat 10th November, and Hunee playing the Button Factory in December.

Palms Trax is playing Wigwam too, Sat 10th November, and Hunee playing the Button Factory in December.

Wow didn't know that, thanks! Coincidentally Hunee is actually playing the same night as Gerd Janson which I already have tickets for. I'll catch him another time!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,590 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I thought there would be more additions by now for this.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Blut2

They're really struggling I believe since Web Summit stopped being held in the RDS just before it. Metropolis used to share the stages and a lot of the set-up leftover from that I believe, which really helped reduce costs/difficulties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Blut2 wrote: »
    They're really struggling I believe since Web Summit stopped being held in the RDS just before it. Metropolis used to share the stages and a lot of the set-up leftover from that I believe, which really helped reduce costs/difficulties.

I really doubt that's true. POD have been putting on festivals for years

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭keithkk16

Would love to see Avalon Emerson at this she's a brilliant DJ/Producer

• Advertisement

Synode wrote: »
    I really doubt that's true. POD have been putting on festivals for years

POD are very successful. This individual festival isn't. Have a look at the severe downward trend in budget, capacity, and act quality, over the last few years. It speaks for itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Blut2 wrote: »
    POD are very successful. This individual festival isn't. Have a look at the severe downward trend in budget, capacity, and act quality, over the last few years. It speaks for itself.

I was saying it has nothing to do with Web Summit

Friendly Fires, David Keenan, Booka Brass Band & David O'Doherty (the comedian?) have been added to the Saturday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

I presume we can expect quite a few more acts added to this before it happens, yeah?

Interested in what has already been announced but not sure it's quite worth the ticket price just yet!!

Edit: And is there likely to be any more overlap with Pitchfork Paris? Mac De Marco and Blood Orange playing both and there's a lot on the P4K undercard I'd like to see in Dublin - the Voidz, Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever (too soon after their Dublin show?), Car Seat Headrest (played in March, I think?), Peggy Gou (was she at Electric Picnic?) or Snail Mail (probably missed out on her Irish show already, did i?!)

Would love Stephen Malkmus & the Jicks but they're already set for a Dublin show in October so that's them out.

Synode wrote: »
    I was saying it has nothing to do with Web Summit

You're wrong: Metropolis originally used quite a bit of the logistical/physical set-up left over from Web Summit, which was held in the RDS immediately preceding the festival. Which helped reduce costs significantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

there's a lot on the P4K undercard I'd like to see in Dublin

God damn bring Chromeo over.

I presume we can expect quite a few more acts added to this before it happens, yeah?

Interested in what has already been announced but not sure it's quite worth the ticket price just yet!!

Edit: And is there likely to be any more overlap with Pitchfork Paris? Mac De Marco and Blood Orange playing both and there's a lot on the P4K undercard I'd like to see in Dublin - the Voidz, Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever (too soon after their Dublin show?), Car Seat Headrest (played in March, I think?), Peggy Gou (was she at Electric Picnic?) or Snail Mail (probably missed out on her Irish show already, did i?!)

Would love Stephen Malkmus & the Jicks but they're already set for a Dublin show in October so that's them out.

A few acts on the pitchfork paris festival lineup that would be nice additions alright. If they threw Chromeo into the mix I think I would get a ticket. The biggest thing Metropolis has going for it is the time of year it's at, I am tempted to go now despite not being mad on the lineup because I have nothing planned for the next few months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

A few acts on the pitchfork paris festival lineup that would be nice additions alright. If they threw Chromeo into the mix I think I would get a ticket. The biggest thing Metropolis has going for it is the time of year it's at, I am tempted to go now despite not being mad on the lineup because I have nothing planned for the next few months.

Yep, in agreement there. If that was a summer line up, I probably wouldn't even look twice but if I skip Metropolis, it could be a long time before my next gig!! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭fourmations

Line up is light all right

Im going on the sunday specifically to see Mac, the big lovable goof! cant wait
    ive never seen him, only discovered him a few yrs ago,
    about a month after EP 2015 where he played and i was there! arrggh
    I also missed him last time thinking there was no hurry to get a ticket
    that sold out!

young fathers is a big bonus as well!

• Advertisement

Another few acts announced today for the Sunday. Maceo Plex, Honey Dijon, Kojaque and Trinity Orchestra performing ABBA. Still not quite enough to make me purchase a ticket..

Advertisement