Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metropolis festival 2018

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Eod100 wrote: »
    Anyone reckon Villagers will play a standalone Dublin gig? Wouldn't mind catching them but can't make this weekend. I know there's an Irish tour in December so guess another gig could be announced after this weekend maybe?

He was interviewed on a few podcasts in the last week and said that there'll be another tour on the new year so there may not be an extra Dublin date added before the end of the year.

There's no Cork show on this leg of it - all the venues were booked up with panto season apparently - and he said that they'll be back on the road after Christmas. I'd expect February/March really as January is always quiet.

But, given that he lives in Dublin, it would be quite easy to put on an extra pre-Christmas one tbf.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

He was interviewed on a few podcasts in the last week and said that there'll be another tour on the new year so there may not be an extra Dublin date added before the end of the year.

There's no Cork show on this leg of it - all the venues were booked up with panto season apparently - and he said that they'll be back on the road after Christmas. I'd expect February/March really as January is always quiet.

But, given that he lives in Dublin, it would be quite easy to put on an extra pre-Christmas one tbf.

Yeah I was curious as to why there was no Cork gig, seemed a bit odd. Yeah guess Everyman and Opera House booked out with panto season arlight! Coughlans a bit on the small side. Think last time he played Cork it Everyman because Savoy had closed.

Yeah he's doing a fair few gigs before Christmas so dunno will there be Irish gigs before then. Seems to be in UK end of February/start of March so maybe around then as you say!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Eod100 wrote: »
    Yeah I was curious as to why there was no Cork gig, seemed a bit odd. Yeah guess Everyman and Opera House booked out with panto season arlight! Coughlans a bit on the small side. Think last time he played Cork it Everyman because Savoy had closed.

Yeah he's doing a fair few gigs before Christmas so dunno will there be Irish gigs before then. Seems to be in UK end of February/start of March so maybe around then as you say!

I think the option for Cork was to play in front of the panto set up without their own stage equipment, which they didn't want to do. Although now I really want to see an Aladdin/Villagers crossover album...

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭keithkk16

Jesus this looks very bare, you'd think they would have a few local DJs in the next room during the big gaps. Glad I got a ticket for Robert Hood now.

44614943_2217578675165178_9198790620464807936_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub5-1.fna&oh=5ed07d83d8acf42e3cdfacf7a66ee06f&oe=5C411FD8

• Registered Users Posts: 5,544 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Really weird how much it has scaled back in the 3 or 4 years it has been going, in 2015 it started at 2.30 and now it doesn't start until 4.30, there were 6 rooms and now only 3 (I could have sworn they were advertising 4 rooms for this year), it's gone from having a really strong electronic lineup to only having 3 international DJs this year. I thought at the very least they would have a lot of Irish acts on the lineup but even weak enough in that department.

Wouldn't be surprised if this is it's last year as I can't imagine it selling that well and they have been scaling back every year. Shame as the first year or two it was brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Jazzzman

shocking stuff for the Saturday - really shocking!

serious lack of afterparties too and Maceo Plex ain't doing one. humph.

Jazzzman wrote: »

Call Super and Honey Djion are in the button factory on Sunday night free in with a festival ticket

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭fourmations

hi

im going sunday only and have never been before
    and have absolutely no idea what to expect
    a few basic questions if you please!

is there likely to be big queues to get in?
    standard issue EP style searches?
    what beer can i buy?
    is there much time outdoors? (raingear?)
    will the place be mush with the rain thats due?
    is there decent food stalls? bit of choice?
    do they just run around getting people out at the end?
    will the halls be stuffed or is there a bit of breathing space?

any other tips or wisdom welcome!

thanks

keithkk16 wrote: »
    Jazzzman wrote: »

Call Super and Honey Djion are in the button factory on Sunday night free in with a festival ticket
    not sure about the 'free' bit, as per the website;

(Tickets available exclusively at Metropolis)

hi

what beer can i buy?

thanks

some of your questions might be answered on the FAQ section of the official website

• Advertisement

hi

thanks

Queues won't be too bad, even at their worst they move quickly. I'd be surprised if you're queuing over 10 minutes.

From my experience they aren't as strict as EP/Longitude/Forbidden Fruit etc.

what beer can i buy?
    Can't remember for definite but think it was Bulmers/Five Lamps and then Absolut vodka as well.

All indoors apart from the food stalls and some toilets (portakabins)

No.

Not great options last year, chip vans and burgers mainly.

Pretty much, music ends, lights on and everyone moved along.

Mixed bag, main hall and industries hall spacious enough at all times but Shelbourne Hall/Warehouse stage can get busy and they can stop letting people in. Not sure what way it will be this year with less stages.

If you are going into town after or plan on getting public transport into town I would leave the festival as soon as the music ends. Buses can fill up quickly!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Just heard that John Reynolds has passed away.

Effects wrote: »

Awful news. May he rest in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Effects wrote: »
    yep :(

https://www.thesun.ie/news/3305083/irish-concert-promoter-john-reynolds-dead/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

Thanks for the music John :(

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭ILIKEFOOD

Can’t believe this - big part of my life despite having never met him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭fourmations

surprised there's no post on Metropolis social media about it

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭dmm82

I've literally just said the same thing. Very surprised they didn't acknowledge it

It does seem a bit odd but could be at the request of his family. No doubt a lot of acts at Metropolis will be paying tribute to him this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭sally cinnamon89

Roisin Murphy will definitely pay tribute to him seen as they had a close working relationship. RIP John

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭ILIKEFOOD

I wonder how big is the POD team, can it continue on and execute great events in the way that Mr Reynolds had wanted, specifically I'm wondering about All Together Now. Could this be the end of that venture?

ILIKEFOOD wrote: »
    I wonder how big is the POD team, can it continue on and execute great events in the way that Mr Reynolds had wanted, specifically I'm wondering about All Together Now. Could this be the end of that venture?

Possibly, they have signed a 10 year deal with the owners of the house which would show intent of something longterm but can the festival withstand such a loss as this

• Registered Users Posts: 43,907 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Baltic in here..

• Registered Users Posts: 43,907 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Mr.S wrote: »
    What’s the turnout like? Like a ghost town around the RDS.
    Poor enough alright.. the crowd only really arrived since Friendly Fires and Villagers.

Absolute ghost town for Booka Brass and Gwenno.

Any reports from this?

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭PeterTwo

Any reports from this?

I went yesterday purely for Blood Orange and Mac and thought both were excellent. Sound for Blood Orange was a bit patchy in parts, but they put on a great show and my only gripe is that they weren’t on stage for 15/30 mins longer - Blood Orange and Mac had an hour slot each.

Considering both were on the main stage, it felt quite intimate, which is a big bonus compared to other festivals. I think it being an indoor stage adds a lot in comparison to festivals like Longitude.

It was my first time at Metropolis since 2015 and it was obvious that they’ve scaled the whole thing back considerably. Still, it seemed fairly busy yesterday, so it mustn’t have been a complete disaster on the ticket sales front. In saying that 2015 felt like a proper event, while this to me was more individual gigs back to back.

I was there last night too. Was at the main stage the whole night, mainly went to see Mac and Young Fathers who I saw briefly at EP a couple of years back but wanted to get the full show. All acts were brilliant with Kojaque and Mac standing out. The mainstage as said above felt intimate. Never felt too crowded too which was nice. Apart from the mainstage there wasn't much going on. Went in to the big room at the back to get drinks but left immediately. Didn't even make it into the warehouse stage as you had to queue outside to get in. All in all the festival is really being reduced since I went on the sunday in 2015. It suited me this year with the lineup for music but apart from that there was nothing. Enjoyed it and felt I got good value for the money paid but they could of put some art installations in the hall to spice it up and some sort of visual show.
    In short - Good music but thats it

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Any reports from this?

Good points
    They had a really strong line up of bands - Young Fathers, Blood Orange, Mac Demarco were the highlights.

Neutral points
    The venue was a little cold and I thought they didn't do much by way of decorations etc. The picture on the website shows the venue from a few years ago with massive installations etc which made it look deadly. There were a few lights this year but other than that it seemed like someone plonked a stage in a warehouse.

The Industries Hall seemed to have been aiming for a sort of chill out lounge - Nialler9, Bingo Loco etc weren't loud enough to fill the place so you had a lot of people chatting and it was a bit bright making it the least inviting stage.

On the Sunday the warehouse stage was like an old school rave in the point type setup. Thumping music and people out of their minds. Not really for the likes of me.

Bad points
    The security guys were awful. They were rude, aggressive and unhelpful. I get that there might be a younger audience and the dance music scene may require further searches, but they seemed to be on steroid overdoses all weekend. I'm a middle aged chin stroking concert goer so being squared up to by a thick security guard in a mindless rage doesn't help me get into the festival mood.

The beer selection was also poor. I know they probably get sponsorship from Bulmers, but seriously! If Roe & Co and Red Bull can compete for the spirits/cocktail section, surely they could get one craft beer stall put in.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Whipping Boy

Went on Saturday for Villagers and have to echo the comments about the security.

The checks walking in were ridiculous - so so thorough and accusatory. A girl in front had her make up taken off which made no see whatsoever and the attitude of the security was awful. Same story inside - stopped from bringing a pint into the toilets as 'people were spilling drink on the carpet'. The door was 4 feet away. The result was a load of lads downing pints. Again, it was the attitude more than anything.

As for the event...it just doesn't really know what it is anymore. It was freezing and we weren't bothered going before Friendly Fires as the lineup was so sparse. Villagers were fantastic but would have preferred a standalone gig

• Advertisement

Went on Saturday for Villagers and have to echo the comments about the security.

The checks walking in were ridiculous - so so thorough and accusatory. A girl in front had her make up taken off which made no see whatsoever and the attitude of the security was awful. Same story inside - stopped from bringing a pint into the toilets as 'people were spilling drink on the carpet'. The door was 4 feet away. The result was a load of lads downing pints. Again, it was the attitude more than anything.

As for the event...it just doesn't really know what it is anymore. It was freezing and we weren't bothered going before Friendly Fires as the lineup was so sparse. Villagers were fantastic but would have preferred a standalone gig

I thought the opposite of the security tbh, I was there Saturday and Sunday and barely got searched and I had a small backpack too. People were drinking cans in the warehouse stage on sunday night. Plus everyone was smoking joints during mac demacro at the main stage and nobody cared

Advertisement