Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

7½ hour shift, 1 hour break - is this okay?

Options
  • 18-06-2018 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Working in retail. I often get a 12-7:30 shift and a 1 hour break in between so it comes to 6.5 hours actually working.

Just looking at my entitlements now and it seems I should be getting a 15 minute break after 4.5 hours worked?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

If you got a 15 min break it would only be a 30 minute lunch. You're getting an hour that's why you're not getting the 15 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭monty_python

What would one be entitled to on a 10 hour shift?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

15 minutes for every 4 hours work with 30 minutes unpaid.

Equate that to your shift length.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 APMagic

I work 8 hour shifts and only get 30 mins. They dont give me the 15mins I am meant to have. But when I bring it up they ignore it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭MissGriff

I think you maybe be confused and I wouldn't blame you. The Organization of working time Act where the rest break entitlements are found it's actually written badly. But it is 30 mins.

After 4.5 hrs work a 15 min break....... Then after 6hrs, 30 mins ' but can include the first 15'. Its not 15 +30.
    So you can take 15 after 4.5 and another 15 when 6 hrs have passed. Or the take the full 30 together.
    Its a basic law just like minimum wage. But its up to the employer, manager or company if they want to give more. In your case...not .

Edit:
    You say you work in retail.....mmm......I actually think there are other or different entitlements for the retail sector. And I also think they may be better than the norm.

Advertisement