If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speaker upgrade on Home Cinema system

Options
  • 18-06-2018 11:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

Hi, I bought an Onkyo Home Cinema set up from you about 7 years ago. It was great at the time, but I'm also running a turntable through it and finding that it's not so great with music as it is with films. I was wondering if I'd notice much difference if I upgraded the front Stereo speakers. I'm looking at these on your website: http://www.richersounds.ie/p-11476-black-11476.aspx#tabSpecifications-tab

Also, the connections for these are different to the connections on the back of my amp, so could I still use them?

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Hi, I bought an Onkyo Home Cinema set up from you about 7 years ago. It was great at the time, but I'm also running a turntable through it and finding that it's not so great with music as it is with films. I was wondering if I'd notice much difference if I upgraded the front Stereo speakers. I'm looking at these on your website: http://www.richersounds.ie/p-11476-black-11476.aspx#tabSpecifications-tab

Also, the connections for these are different to the connections on the back of my amp, so could I still use them?
    Hi Buyers,

could you get me the model number of your Onkyo and I'll check out to ensure the Q Acoustic 2010i's are suitable ( I'm pretty sure they will be but safer to check it out for you to be sure to be sure ;) )

Keep us posted,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭BuyersRemorse

Hi again, it's the HT R390 with passive sub

• Company Representative Posts: 17,278 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Hi again, it's the HT R390 with passive sub
    Hey BuyersRemorse,

Had a check over the manual for the HT R390 and it will run the 2010i's with no problems. Just make sure to not over drive them and high volumes for long periods of time though.

They are rated at 75 watts @ 6 Ohms and the HT R390 is rated 100 watts @ 6 ohms.

The 2010i would just connect the the same place on your amp of the speaker you are replacing. The 2010i's have a different design for there speaker terminals but both are the same screw type.
    You just loosen the terminal and put the speaker cable in and tighten it back up.

Any questions please let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭BuyersRemorse

Thanks for the info. To be honest I think I need to do a bit more research on this. The possibility of bypassing the receiver and hooking up a set of active speakers to use with the turntable's built in pre-amp could be another option. I don't fancy getting those 2010is if there's a possibility of overloading them. Thanks for your prompt respose though!

• Company Representative Posts: 17,278 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Thanks for the info. To be honest I think I need to do a bit more research on this. The possibility of bypassing the receiver and hooking up a set of active speakers to use with the turntable's built in pre-amp could be another option. I don't fancy getting those 2010is if there's a possibility of overloading them. Thanks for your prompt respose though!
    Hey BuyersRemorse.

You could use active speakers if you wished.

Steljes product the NS3 priced at £199.00 (Special order)
    https://www.richersounds.com/hi-fi/active-speakers/steljes-ns3-dark-blue.html

Roth have the VA4 priced at £199 also (Special Order)
    https://www.richersounds.com/hi-fi/active-speakers/roth-va4-black.html

There are others going upwards in price depending on your budget.

I haven't heard either of the two active speakers above as they are not a stock item unfortunately.

The only way you would damage the 2010i's is at very high volume but then if you run any speaker at high volume for long periods of time you run the risk of damaging them.
    We have seen the 2010i's run on many many system with no issues at all and they have always been a great little speaker.

• Advertisement

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.