Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CyclingForAll.ie — an end to unsafe and unusable cycle lanes

Options
  • 18-06-2018 12:03pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭

If you want an end to unsafe, unusable, and unattractive cycle routes please sign this and opt-into updates: https://my.uplift.ie/petitions/cycling-for-all-in-ireland

After the petition, the next main focus will be to sign up politicians / candidates in the run up to the next election.

It’s basically looking for Dutch-style and quality of cycle routes which are suitable for children to retirees and everyone in between. Although not just cycle paths, also things like the removal of barriers, the importance of contra-flow, and traffic reduction, especially on residential streets. Details at: http://cyclingforall.ie/

It’s been a long journey for me but after the documenting Dublin’s / Ireland’s cycle routes on here, the cycle lane of the week feature on IrishCycle.com and writing about the continuing poor quality of planned cycle route, I’ve been left thinking that our standards aren’t good enough and it’s a political issue to improve design details, the available options to designers, and the politics of space.

Any questions, comments, complaints, abuse?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,592 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i often wonder if we're the wrong audience to ask here. most people who frequent this forum would be confident cyclists who can mix with traffic (even if we're not always happy to do so at times).
    i think the problem is that people most likely to benefit from improved infrastructure are the people who don't see cycling as viable (for multiple reasons); and as such their voices are usually not heard.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

i often wonder if we're the wrong audience to ask here. most people who frequent this forum would be confident cyclists who can mix with traffic (even if we're not always happy to do so at times).
    i think the problem is that people most likely to benefit from improved infrastructure are the people who don't see cycling as viable (for multiple reasons); and as such their voices are usually not heard.

There's always been a mix of people and views here.

Also, I used to be one of those people, I got fed up with the "even if we're not always happy to do so at times" part and more and more so after having children and wondering how they will cycle.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Another point is that the choice isn’t between no segregation and Dutch-style segregation.

What’s been built now is poor segregation with bus stops plonked in the cycle paths, various junction treatments, cycle lanes between traffic lanes, shared footpath areas etc.

But it’s not just about infrastructure — it’s also about traffic circulation and management. Do we want cars etc to have nearly full permeability in residential areas? Do we want areas where people on bicycles are sharing with buses? Do we want surface parking in newly built village centres without having cycle paths? What mix do we want?

What’s happening in Cherrywood is an example on both fronts of what not to do: http://www.cherrywooddublin.com/download/cherrywood_construction/Cherrywood-Aerial-Photos-June-2018.pdf

Advertisement