Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help / Advice thread

Options
  • 18-06-2018 12:14pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Lads / Lassies, just wondering should we have a “Help” thread that golfers can seek advice from?? I know we should all be going for lessons for help with a problem but it’s not really practical to get a playing lesson from a pro when its only one or two things you need advice on. Like my example below.

Need a bit of help / advice with something that’s ruining holes on me for the last while. Say you hit a drive into slightly heavy rough, even if it’s only a few inches deep and not the waist high stuff what do you do to get out?
    On Saturday I hit into what I would call very short but dense rough, had a line to the fairway to get the ball back in play and tried to hit out with a 5 iron, got about 20 yards into same rough. Tried with a 7 iron and more sideways towards the fairway, same result, twice! Just couldn’t get out of it. What do you hit here? A SW to get the ball up quicker and out of the heavy stuff just to get the ball back in play? It happened me on two holes and I scratched them both.

Also, just off the green and pitching, weight on what foot? Front or back? I normally go with even but sometimes blade the ball. When I’m out practising I’m fine, I can get the club under the ball and decent chips but on the course, it’s a lottery and anything can happen.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

charlieIRL wrote:
    Need a bit of help / advice with something that’s ruining holes on me for the last while. Say you hit a drive into slightly heavy rough, even if it’s only a few inches deep and not the waist high stuff what do you do to get out? On Saturday I hit into what I would call very short but dense rough, had a line to the fairway to get the ball back in play and tried to hit out with a 5 iron, got about 20 yards into same rough. Tried with a 7 iron and more sideways towards the fairway, same result, twice! Just couldn’t get out of it. What do you hit here? A SW to get the ball up quicker and out of the heavy stuff just to get the ball back in play? It happened me on two holes and I scratched them both.

charlieIRL wrote:
    Also, just off the green and pitching, weight on what foot? Front or back? I normally go with even but sometimes blade the ball. When I’m out practising I’m fine, I can get the club under the ball and decent chips but on the course, it’s a lottery and anything can happen.

I normally go wedge and swing hard if in rough and aim for nearest part of fairway...

Chips i try keep weight even but hands forward

Not saying im right or wrong but it's what works for me normally

• Registered Users Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

It really depends on the scenario Charlie. If you are in slightly heavy rough & there are no trees about then I'd be going with more loft alright. And probably swinging a bit steeper so the clubface isn't travelling through too much heavy grass before getting to the ball.

If its heavy, but you're under trees then it changes things as you obviously don't want to get too much air on it.

I think that a lot of people can get slightly casual with those kind of "get-out-of-trouble"shots & as a result not have a good committed swing or connection. So make sure you keep your concentration & focus on a good contact on the ball

Re chipping, the conventional method most would apply is weight heavily on the front foot (at least that's been the case for every lesson/short game session I've ever gone to).

Also if you're looking for a fairly safe method, I've had the advice of swinging it almost with a putting stroke, back-and-through with minimal wrist action. It should make sure you get a decent contact on the ball & reduce the risk of blading the ball.

Use the same technique & just change club or ball position to change loft delivered to the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,264 ✭✭✭slingerz

charlieIRL wrote: »
    Lads / Lassies, just wondering should we have a “Help” thread that golfers can seek advice from?? I know we should all be going for lessons for help with a problem but it’s not really practical to get a playing lesson from a pro when its only one or two things you need advice on. Like my example below.

Need a bit of help / advice with something that’s ruining holes on me for the last while. Say you hit a drive into slightly heavy rough, even if it’s only a few inches deep and not the waist high stuff what do you do to get out?
    On Saturday I hit into what I would call very short but dense rough, had a line to the fairway to get the ball back in play and tried to hit out with a 5 iron, got about 20 yards into same rough. Tried with a 7 iron and more sideways towards the fairway, same result, twice! Just couldn’t get out of it. What do you hit here? A SW to get the ball up quicker and out of the heavy stuff just to get the ball back in play? It happened me on two holes and I scratched them both.

Blading the ball on short chips is 'generally' due to flicking the right hand trying to help the ball in the air. Easier said than done to avoid not doing it. I am trying to keep my hands ahead of the ball when chipping. Also standing closer to the ball helps you to take away the club more steeply which should help get better contact

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

Lads / Lassies, just wondering should we have a “Help” thread that golfers can seek advice from?? I know we should all be going for lessons for help with a problem but it’s not really practical to get a playing lesson from a pro when its only one or two things you need advice on.

Just seperating this from your other specific questions Charlie. Isn't this whole forum to help golfers? I think a general Help thread would be too broad and become too long. Members should start threads with specific topics they need help with.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭wardides

Here's a really basic question. Playing golf for years but only joined first proper club a few weeks back. How does the captains prize usually work? You just play a certain amount of qualifiers and you can enter? Or do you need to finish in a certain place in qualifiers? Not even sure if it differs from club to club!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

wardides wrote: »
    How does the captains prize usually work?

some clubs only allow members to enter the captains if they've a certain number of qualifying rounds in the year. You should make sure you're eligable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

On Saturday I hit into what I would call very short but dense rough, had a line to the fairway to get the ball back in play and tried to hit out with a 5 iron, got about 20 yards into same rough. Tried with a 7 iron and more sideways towards the fairway, same result, twice!

Loft helps a lot. I try to 'chop' down, rather than swing through all the grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

A thread like this to ask the smaller questions I think is fine, but if you think the answer needs more than one or two inputs a separate thread should be made imo.

For me if it's short snaggly (is that a word) rough lately I try to catch it a bit clean and I'm getting good results from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Wftablueboy

I like quick tips , don’t have much time for lessons so I generally try and figure it out myself. I do like Eric Cogornos YouTube video lessons, short and to the point and easy to understand.....I’m always looking for that one golden nugget that will change your game ..... This month I’m practicing my right wrist hinge , but it’s resulted in 3 x .1 increases so far ��

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

When you are putting do you sort of slump over with not much tension in the back muscles or do you keep tension in your back muscles to aid stability.

I can't find anything on that online.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,017 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Has anyone changed the way they play due to the recent good weather?

My course a bit like the US open has completely dried out during the good weather and it's very hard to hold the greens. Also during the good weather I found the ball travelled further than usual.

As a result I've slightly changed my game to more of a links style of playing chip and runs and bouncing balls into greens. But I've really struggled with it. Finding all sorts of trouble with unlucky bounces. The rain can't come quick enough!!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭swededmonkey

backspin. wrote: »
    When you are putting do you sort of slump over with not much tension in the back muscles or do you keep tension in your back muscles to aid stability.

I can't find anything on that online.

I find keeping your centre of gravity towards your heels keeps me stable and helps me stroke the ball with the face of the putter square

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Tyson Fury wrote: »

My course a bit like the US open has completely dried out during the good weather and it's very hard to hold the greens. Also during the good weather I found the ball travelled further than usual.

As a result I've slightly changed my game to more of a links style of playing chip and runs and bouncing balls into greens. But I've really struggled with it. Finding all sorts of trouble with unlucky bounces. The rain can't come quick enough!!

I hear ya! My chipping is usually ok but rock hard greens and the ball goes a mile past the hole!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,264 ✭✭✭slingerz

I’ve changed my approach in that yardage’s I’d take should the pin be in the middle I’d play to the front to allow for the additional roll out on the ball etc

• Registered Users Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Absolutely, has had a massive impact. Having to land a ball short of a green now is a big change for me as my instinct is to throw a ball high at a green in general.

It can make things quite difficult given most protection of greens tends to be at the front so bunkers can suddenly come into play

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

For a long hitter like you Charlie, just getting the ball back in play should be priority for you. Take an 8 iron, aim a little further right than you normally would and pick the club up quicker in your back swing. Advancing the ball 100 yards up the fairway would be ample for you on most holes to leave you with a short iron in. Picking the club up quicker allows for a steep angle of attack and aiming right will help against the club being turned over in your hands.

For chipping, I tend to use the bounce of the wedge and keep an even weight distribution with club in centre of your stance or slightly back. If I'm very close to the edge of the green, I sometimes use a 5wood to chip and run with. Just enough elevation and loft to get the ball through the fringe and then it releases like a putt the rest of the way. Takes practice though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭londonred

slingerz wrote: »
    Blading the ball on short chips is 'generally' due to flicking the right hand trying to help the ball in the air. Easier said than done to avoid not doing it. I am trying to keep my hands ahead of the ball when chipping. Also standing closer to the ball helps you to take away the club more steeply which should help get better contact

Feel the pain have tried hard to improve chipping this year , couple of tips i picked up is to put club on ground then grip the club at the bottom of the grip with the right hand first so you are at the low point and then stand a bit open to make sure you turn you body through the chip so you finish with your belly facing the hole this reduces the tendancy to flick the hands , still WIP but a lot better than last year.

Advertisement