Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish National Championships - Sligo

Options
  • 18-06-2018 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of going along to watch this in a few weeks - are the roads closed for the route/laps or is it similar to the Rás (rolling)?

http://irishcyclingchamps.info/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

marvin80 wrote: »
    I'm thinking of going along to watch this in a few weeks - are the roads closed for the route/laps or is it similar to the Rás (rolling)?

http://irishcyclingchamps.info/

probably rolling. It was in Wexford last year anyway. The lap passes and it'll be 20-30 mins before it comes around again so no need to have a completely closed road.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,397 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Always been rolling road closures when I've been before. And as its close will probably be watching

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Derrydingle

Was thinking about this myself any good hills on the route for a good viewing point?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Thud

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Was thinking about this myself any good hills on the route for a good viewing point?

This is the route:

https://www.strava.com/segments/17977907

The only hill as such is Hungry Rock, starts around here: https://bit.ly/2thWIN7

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Finnrocco

That hill looks grand - says he from the comfort of his armchair, beer in one hand and pizza in the other. Should get up that no bother!

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Takca

Does it normally attract a big crowd?

Takca wrote: »
    Does it normally attract a big crowd?

nope. A couple of the more interesting spots might have a few people on them, as might the finish line, but generally the crowds are very small.

The best ever was in Kilcullen a couple of years back when the race clashed with the Ireland-France match in the Euros. I remember it just being me and a kid who was stewarding on the long stretch of road we were on. The place was deserted.

Finnrocco wrote: »
    That hill looks grand - says he from the comfort of his armchair, beer in one hand and pizza in the other. Should get up that no bother!
    always found it tough climb on the tour of sligo

Any of the pro names confirmed yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,425 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Any of the pro names confirmed yet?

Based on the Eire Og FB account I would imagine the SammyB is a certainty. Also would think Ryan Mullen as he won't be at the Tour.

Based on the Eire Og FB account I would imagine the SammyB is a certainty. Also would think Ryan Mullen as he won't be at the Tour.

Think sam has his eye on it this year i remember a interview a few weeks ago saying he would love to wear the jersey next season

Phillip deignan is allegedly around as well so maybethere

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Roche is in town as per the Orwell twitter account

A few of the Aqua lads as well like Dunne and Dunbar afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 8,425 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Phillip deignan is allegedly around as well so maybethere

Well he certainly won't be doing anything worthwhile for Sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Thud

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Aquablue have the numbers but if Bennett has kept his form he will be the one to beat

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

It's time for Sam. I hope he has the legs and the craft to win.

I'm sure he would represent the jersey so very well in the coming year.

MPFGLB wrote: »
    Aquablue have the numbers but if Bennett has kept his form he will be the one to beat

he was well up there last year too, til he had a mechanical on the final lap. Such bad luck. You'd expect Mullen will try and ride them all off the wheels again. That will have to be his tactic. It's worked for him twice before and it wouldn't be any surprise if he did it again.

Would love Sam to win. The erratic, on-your-own, nature of the race won't suit him though.

Will be interesting to see how Eddie Dunbar does. He rode last year's race with zero support, either in the race or outside it. I overheard him saying he rode the whole thing on just 2 bottles cos he'd no one on the side of the road to give him anything. He'll hardly win it but I wouldn't be surprised to see him podium.

• Advertisement

1bryan wrote: »

Will be interesting to see how Eddie Dunbar does. He rode last year's race with zero support, either in the race or outside it.

Curious to know how will it work for Dunbar and the Aqua lads - will they have some Aqua personnel helping them on the day - handing out bottles on the road etc.?

marvin80 wrote: »
    Curious to know how will it work for Dunbar and the Aqua lads - will they have some Aqua personnel helping them on the day - handing out bottles on the road etc.?

Isn't that domestic AquaBlue team still on the go too? There must have been 10 riders or more last year between the domestic squad and the pro-conti lads.

When is the start list out I wonder. Kinda curious to see who will/won't turn up. I'd expect we won't see Dan ride the nationals ever again. Will Brammier bother?

What's Chris McGlinchey up to? Haven't heard his name much since his incredible ride last year.

There'll surely be a gang of the Holdsworths back over to ride, in lieu of the Sean Kelly team.

Another rider I'm curious to see is the younger of the Roches. He's been in Ireland for the last couple of weeks training and has been putting in storming rides in some domestic races. He would have been well in contention last year but for a crash early on.

It's either been a very low-key build-up this year, or else I'm not looking in the right place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

Isn't that domestic AquaBlue team still on the go too? There must have been 10 riders or more last year between the domestic squad and the pro-conti lads.

When is the start list out I wonder. Kinda curious to see who will/won't turn up. I'd expect we won't see Dan ride the nationals ever again. Will Brammier bother?

What's Chris McGlinchey up to? Haven't heard his name much since his incredible ride last year.

There'll surely be a gang of the Holdsworths back over to ride, in lieu of the Sean Kelly team.

Another rider I'm curious to see is the younger of the Roches. He's been in Ireland for the last couple of weeks training and has been putting in storming rides in some domestic races. He would have been well in contention last year but for a crash early on.

It's either been a very low-key build-up this year, or else I'm not looking in the right place.

The Aqua blue domestic lads were taken on by Viner Caremark - good team but probably a level below what's needed for a medal here.

Saw McGlinchey in the results lately - think he went travelling to Aus and is back now. Only 3 Holdsworth lads, Shaw probably the best chance of a medal again, he's strong as a bull.

Young lad Roche is ok, no world beater, is just about the level of the lads domestically here at A1, but a few years needed.

should be a cracker of a race, what it lacks in numbers, it will have serious depth in talent. I'd say the World Tour pros will kill the race early and wouldn't at all be surprised if Nico Roche won handily again.

Taxuser1 wrote: »
    The Aqua blue domestic lads were taken on by Viner Caremark - good team but probably a level below what's needed for a medal here.

Saw McGlinchey in the results lately - think he went travelling to Aus and is back now. Only 3 Holdsworth lads, Shaw probably the best chance of a medal again, he's strong as a bull.

Young lad Roche is ok, no world beater, is just about the level of the lads domestically here at A1, but a few years needed.

should be a cracker of a race, what it lacks in numbers, it will have serious depth in talent. I'd say the World Tour pros will kill the race early and wouldn't at all be surprised if Nico Roche won handily again.

How's his form though? He dropped out of the giro with fatigue. Even if he's recovered, he hasn't raced in so long. In saying that, if he can respond to whatever early action takes place and is still in the reckoning towards the latter part of the race, his experience could well see him win it (though I doubt there's a handy win there for anyone this year).

http://www.stickybottle.com/races-results/irelands-big-name-pro-men-set-national-road-champs-battle/

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭circler

Brammeier just announced his retirement, so I guess that's him out.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Hard to see past the Lydia's for the women's, Lydia B just won the Omnium and the Stephen Roche without extending herself, Lydia G flying placing in Paris third in the scratch in an international field. Oooh!
    Also I guess Josie Knight will be back, I don't know what form she's in. The former Talent Transfer women (Mia is a serious talent) will be there too I imagine. Eve McCrystal is a tank, she'll be up there for sure barring all incident.

Hopefully no repeat of what happened the women's race last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭elchupanebrey

Hopefully no repeat of what happened the women's race last year.

Moved to the saturday with the juniors so hopefully they can be ran at separate times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Untitled Folder

Anyone know what time the u23 TT is expected to start on Thursday? We have a lad hoping to do it and would love to get off work to go over to support him.

Advertisement