Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish National Championships - Sligo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

In other national news, Bob Jungels won the luxembourg championships by nearly 14 minutes!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,591 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

sure that's probably enough time to cycle across the entire country.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭andy69

he was seen in letterkenny this morning seems crazy but obviously not got the motivation to ride

strange alright - but then....Lizzy's expecting, not sure when they'e due, maybe it's around now? mightn't be the best time for him to be racing....having said that I haven't heard his name mentioned on any race coverage I've watched this season. Not sure what's wrong there....hopefully nothing wrong with the missus/baby anyways. I read Lizzy's book and I know she's always struggled with various medical issues :(

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

andy69 wrote: »
    strange alright - but then....Lizzy's expecting, not sure when they'e due, maybe it's around now? mightn't be the best time for him to be racing....having said that I haven't heard his name mentioned on any race coverage I've watched this season. Not sure what's wrong there....hopefully nothing wrong with the missus/baby anyways. I read Lizzy's book and I know she's always struggled with various medical issues :(

she's happily instagramming away and it seems there's not a bother in the world on either of them. So lets keep the vibes positive for them both.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Deignan raced in france 2 weeks ago with a shadow sky squad in support of ellisonde. Bar that, its been slim pickings

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

he was down to ride the Giro wasnt he? Got pulled at last minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Went along yesterday - great atmosphere on the climb, very enjoyable day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭LCD

Have heard it said that to Deignan being a bike rider is just a job. Seems unusual, but he has no passion for it. He started it as kids start many sports, was good at it & enjoyed the fame it brought. He kept been good at it & it just grew from there. Good salary.

I guess missing the nationals is akin to people skipping conferences in their respective industries. It is not a condition of their contracts that they go to external conferences, going may or may not bring a benefit.

Apparently Andres Kolden was much the same, had zero interest in cycling. Never gave interviews unless he had to for the team, never raced unless he had to.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

LCD wrote: »
    Have heard it said that to Deignan being a bike rider is just a job. Seems unusual, but he has no passion for it. He started it as kids start many sports, was good at it & enjoyed the fame it brought. He kept been good at it & it just grew from there. Good salary.

I guess missing the nationals is akin to people skipping conferences in their respective industries. It is not a condition of their contracts that they go to external conferences, going may or may not bring a benefit.

Apparently Andres Kolden was much the same, had zero interest in cycling. Never gave interviews unless he had to for the team, never raced unless he had to.

I wouldn't be surprised if Deignan packed it in at the end of this season. So why try and deprive someone else of showing off the jersey next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

retalivity wrote: »
    In other national news, Bob Jungels won the luxembourg championships by nearly 14 minutes!

Jungels is massive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Is there anywhere with the full list of placings? I see reports but no final finishing places.
    No word of Mullen in the reports either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Is there anywhere with the full list of placings? I see reports but no final finishing places.
    No word of Mullen in the reports either.

http://www.cyclingireland.ie/cycling-news-item/2018-cycling-ireland-road-race-championships-results-updated/18057

Mullen - DNF

Spfor allyou Strava followers out there ...who was fastest /KOM on the hungry rock yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 14,397 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

i wonder how the results work there's definitely guys there who finished (way down admittedly) and are down as DNF

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Takca

MPFGLB wrote: »
    Spfor allyou Strava followers out there ...who was fastest /KOM on the hungry rock yesterday

1 Aaron Kearney 1 Jul 2018 30.9km/h 49W 3:19 (He is either very light or his PM is broke :D )
    2 Nicolas Roche 1 Jul 2018 30.8km/h 520W 3:20
    2 Adam Stenson 1 Jul 2018 30.8km/h 425W 3:20
    2 Eoin O'Connell 1 Jul 2018 30.8km/h 436W 3:20

Before this weekend the KOM was 4:03, that effort is now in 57th position ... and races have gone up this hill before :eek:

Takca wrote: »
    1 Aaron Kearney 1 Jul 2018 30.9km/h 49W 3:19 (He is either very light or his PM is broke :D )

Before this weekend the KOM was 4:03, that effort is now in 57th position ... and races have gone up this hill before :eek:

Who is Adam Stenson ?

And how much more power Nico has to put out to do the same time :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭devonp

i wonder how the results work there's definitely guys there who finished (way down admittedly) and are down as DNF

^^ same question

outside the time limit ??

I should have mentioned, the Power reading for Adam Stenson is a strava estimation, the other 3 were from meters.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Who is Adam Stenson ?

Adam Stenson is an extremely quick (and lovely) young man. I think he's only finished school. He won Bainbridge last year, and as a 14 year old used to dominate the A's on track. He's had some injury issues, but he's riding in France now I think? I could be wrong on that. But he's an extremely talented young rider.

nee wrote: »
    Adam Stenson is an extremely quick (and lovely) young man. I think he's only finished school. He won Bainbridge last year, and as a 14 year old used to dominate the A's on track. He's had some injury issues, but he's riding in France now I think? I could be wrong on that. But he's an extremely talented young rider.

He sure is talented ..as seen by those figures

• Advertisement

devonp wrote: »
    ^^ same question

outside the time limit ??

surely they should be marked as outside the time limit not a DNF then, had the same thought myself maybe its lazy publishing of the results but i would say getting a finish is hard enough without been classified as a DNF !

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

surely they should be marked as outside the time limit not a DNF then, had the same thought myself maybe its lazy publishing of the results but i would say getting a finish is hard enough without been classified as a DNF !

At the managers meeting the comms said anyone outside the time limit is a DNF.

Raam wrote: »
    At the managers meeting the comms said anyone outside the time limit is a DNF.

aha mystery solved ! thanks Raam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

aaron kearney is featherlight. i'd say under 60 kilos

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Marshalled over the weekend, have to say I was impressed with the womens finish, great to see the sprint kick off over the bridge right where I was standing.

As I marshalled the home stretch I took the opportunity to watch the senior mens laps from the bottom of the Hungry Rock before taking up my position, I left after their 8th pass when there was still a decent number of two groups, was amazed to see them so spread out by the end.

Plenty of good comments on the course too, I'm lucky to live more or less on the course, I'm a mountain biker but I have ridden this loop a few times and it's tough, the drag from Collooney to Ballisodare is probably worse than the climb!

With the fact there has been two National Points Series XC races in Collooney in 2016 & 2017, and the proposed Mountain Bike centre in Coolaney a stones throw from the rock, there's opportunities for more big cycling events like this in Sligo in the future.

New upload took top spot
    Ryan Mullen 1 Jul 2018 31.1km/h 545W 3:18
    Takca wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Got a chuckle here seeing that :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Ha ha ha ha ha brilliant!

Why wasn't Eve in it though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

nee wrote: »
    Ha ha ha ha ha brilliant!

Why wasn't Eve in it though?

Think they're women's world tour riders

Advertisement