Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living in Ballinteer?

• 18-06-2018 1:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭

There generally isn't a lot of information out there about Ballinteer when I search for this topic. I've gone to a few house viewings in recent months, and it seems like a nice spot - mature, decent links into town, close to M50 and there's plenty of opportunity for fixer-uppers on some of the older parts (e.g. "old" Ballinteer like Ballinteer Park and similar areas, have seen a few of those in the last year). Seems like a quiet part of Dublin that'd be suitable for raising a family.

Anyone living in the area, or who knows more about the area care to comment? I follow a 'Ballinteer Today' page on facebook and it seems to be constantly updating about burglaries, is that really the case? Unfortunately, it mostly seems like the elderly are being targeted by whomever is responsible.

I kinda get the impression that Dundrum is more talked about, and perhaps seen to be more desirable, but also more expensive. While Ballinteer has plenty of advantages, it's still less expensive and would suit someone looking for a quiet area to settle down.

Any thoughts or am I well off the mark? It's hard to truly get to know a place without living there, would appreciate any thoughts.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

I’m originally from Ballinteer and I think it’s a great area – I’d love to move back if I could afford it. It has great transport links (even if the 48A is no longer with us), Dundrum and the town centre is a 15-20 minute walk, the excellent Marley park is at the top of Ballinteer avenue and if you are a keen hill walker than the three rock summit is a 90 minutes’ walk (from Woodpark/Kingston). I have also noticed there has been some talk recently about a rise in house burglaries but this may be just a short term blip - by and large, Ballinteer is a safe and mature area with little crime. Dundrum has always been seen as the more desirable and expensive address – but Ballinteer is closer to the parks and mountains.

The only downside is the traffic – especially the Dundrum-Ballinteer Road-M50 route. It is very bad from 4pm onwards and on wet weekends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭vandriver

Whatever local Facebook page you're on,you're going to hear about burglaries.This of course doesn't mean that there has been any increase in illegal activities in the area.You just didn't use to hear about it unless it happened on your street

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Call me Al

It's a nice area. There are some mature 1970s estates and older so in some estates you'll find a mix of ages.
    Close to super valu, various churches, a variety of schools, a huge park, dublin mountains, good access to m50 and town..
    what's not to like! :-)

Ps there are burglaries everywhere.. even here in the middle if the countryside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭AfterLife

I'm also from there originally and would love to move back there in the future. It was a great place to grow up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Vim Fuego

Thanks for the replies. Yeah, I'm not that concerned about the burglaries but the BT page is full of them, although I admit, I never really subscribed to any community-specific pages before now.

Down to more important issues -

Coach House or Ballinteer House? Or both?

Also, I quite like the handy shopping scenario - Fresh Avenue was nice when I popped in there a while back, and the SuperValu/shopping centre on Ballinteer Avenue also seems pretty handy & looks like it got a fairly new refurb based on my one visit.

How about schools? I'd be most interested in the Educate Together, but am I right in saying that there's a campaign to get additional funds to complete a build there? I know someone who teaches in one of the secondary community schools, and that seems to have good feedback.

Finally, a bit of a weird question - Shane Ross gets a lot of stick about his parish pump politics (he was front page of one of the Sunday Business Post sections yesterday), but do people from the area think he's doing a good job for the area? He seems to be providing for his constituents, but perhaps with less interest on his national brief. Not trying to derail my own thread into political bashing or anything, but genuinely curious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I have lived in Ballinteer, I prefer Churchtown, where I grew up... Might be worth looking at, if it isnt a Ballinteer only option...

• Registered Users Posts: 1 alan670

We're living there 12 years now and have two kids under the age of seven both of whom are in one of the local primary schools. We are lucky to have really good neighbours and a bunch of kids same ages so, to echo an earlier comment, it is a good area to grow up in.

As to the coach house or ballinteer house, for me the coach house. Better choice and quality of food, much better choice of beers (BH really only has the big old brands) and their adjoining off license allows you buy wine/beer their and cork in bar. Beat that for choice.

Personally, I don't rate traffic as a big issue. Certainly not during the week and no worse than other areas.

Yes, there have been a spike in burglaries over the last 2-3 years. Without going into the specifics on a public forum, there have been two new builds in the area in recent years both of which have brought some issues. In one case more so, some of the occupants are constantly caught shoplifting in the supervalu, they had to introduce full time security on entrance after that development came on stream, wasn't there previously. Same group are anecdotally linked to much of the burglaries. On the road we live on (nearly 20 houses), only two have been burgled that I'm aware of. In one case, the same house has been burgled a few times however, end of road, easier access.

Worth pointing out, the guards in dundrum are on the ball. They are around regularly and when called are there is a couple of mins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭McCrack

Its an excellent area. M50, mountains, marlay, Luas c. 20 min, shops, schools, green spaces

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

Lived in Ballinteer for 10+ years ,moved recently but only a slight distance as really like the area.

Transport M50, buses ,Luas
    Local schools are great , you will be waiting for educate together we looked 6 years ago and still no local school.
    Well developed area with great facilities
    Dundrum cinema and the rest close by and yes that can cause traffic issues as seasonal times , wet days.
    Many elderly folk around so yes there can be incidents due to vulnerability, am aware of attempts to con and break in but Dundrum guards are all over it , real good community spirit in both places I lived.
    Marlay and also so many sports clubs for all ages to be involved.
    Ask away.

Advertisement