Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Control Grey Squirrel Population

Options
  • 18-06-2018 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭

Hey guys,

Having a problem with a rapidly expanding grey squirrel population destroying many of the beautiful trees surrounding the household. I contacted a few pest control companies but no real solutions were offered. I have yet to see a red squirrel - I am also worried about the increasing population of greys may prohibit any reds from settling.

I am looking for an expert marksman to dispose of the greys in a humane manner. Based in south Limerick close to the north Cork border. If think you can help, please pm your details and I would be happy to pay for your time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,582 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

If only you could parachute some of these in...
    https://www.irelandswildlife.com/squirrel-pine-marten/

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

odyssey06 wrote: »
    If only you could parachute some of these in...
    https://www.irelandswildlife.com/squirrel-pine-marten/

Wasn't there some bird that also had a similar effect to the pine marten?

It didn't actually attack them directly but caused serious stress with the greys that caused them to decline.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,582 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

Perhaps you would be better trapping the greys I dont believe the pine martin will have an effect on the problem.Contact a local country person who might be able to loan or source a trap for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Eddie B

grassroot1 wrote: »
    Perhaps you would be better trapping the greys I dont believe the pine martin will have an effect on the problem.Contact a local country person who might be able to loan or source a trap for you.

Totally agree. Squirrels are fairly easy trap, and if you had enough traps you would knock a dent in their numbers fairly quickly. Pine Marten mainly feed on eggs, chicks and berries this time of year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Bazzer007 wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Having a problem with a rapidly expanding grey squirrel population destroying many of the beautiful trees surrounding the household. I contacted a few pest control companies but no real solutions were offered. I have yet to see a red squirrel - I am also worried about the increasing population of greys may prohibit any reds from settling.

I am looking for an expert marksman to dispose of the greys in a humane manner. Based in south Limerick close to the north Cork border. If think you can help, please pm your details and I would be happy to pay for your time.

Is there any dreys around? Be handier to know or are they casually running around the area? And if there's planets of them you won't see any reds around. They'll often seek out reds to kill them. Killing the competition like a lion does with leopards and cheetahs.
    I'm sure someone would help you on here. Bit too far to travel for a few squirrels for myself. Apologies

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Bazzer007

Thank's lads for all your input. A Wildlife Officer called yesterday and he set traps. I have yet to see any reds but a friend of mine a couple of miles away saw another group of greys near the roadside so there are a good few around. I didn't know greys seek out reds to kill them. I've heard they can spread diseases which kill reds but actually hunting them down and killing our native's species is another reason to cull them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

Did a npws officer come to trap the greys? Are they going to kill them?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,031 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Squirrel is pretty good eatin too.:)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

grassroot1 wrote: »
    Did a npws officer come to trap the greys? Are they going to kill them?

Surely!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Bazzer007

He came and set traps, but no joy yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Sika98k

Is there any dreys around? Be handier to know or are they casually running around the area? And if there's planets of them you won't see any reds around. They'll often seek out reds to kill them. Killing the competition like a lion does with leopards and cheetahs.
    I'm sure someone would help you on here. Bit too far to travel for a few squirrels for myself. Apologies

Apologies for correcting you but grey squirrels do not seek out red squirrels and kill them.
    The grey squirrel carries a virus which is not fatal to itself but if transmitted to the red squirrel is fateful for the red squirrel.

Sika98k wrote: »
    Apologies for correcting you but grey squirrels do not seek out red squirrels and kill them.
    The grey squirrel carries a virus which is not fatal to itself but if transmitted to the red squirrel is fateful for the red squirrel.

Not only that, but the grey will put pressure on the reds by stealing, and eating the reds natural food. They can eat unripened nuts etc, where as reds cant. They also bully the smaller reds, pushing them out of the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Walter C

Hi Bazzer007
    Sounds like you need someone with an air rifle,
    I wouldn't mind spending a day picking off grey squirrels.
    give me a shout if the traps don't work out.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Shooter Cotter

Bazzer007 wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Hi Bazzer007
    I'm based near enough and would be interested in helping you out if possible.
    Sounds like you have a bad problem that needs resolving quickly.. Pm me if you wish to get in contact. Thanks

Advertisement