Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Moving to Ennis

• 18-06-2018 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Hi,
    I'm a secondary school teacher, 33, female and single.
    I've been offered a full-time job in Ennis and am very tempted to accept, seeing how hard it is to get a full-time job in a nice school. I've been qualified 7 years now and have had nothing but maternity leaves, career breaks and sick leave contracts. I went to college in Dublin and Limerick, I've been living in Dublin for the past 4 years. I suppose my question is, is it crazy to move to Ennis? Would there be plenty of clubs and things to be part of to have an active social life? Would you recommend living in Ennis itself or somewhere else (would prefer to have less than 25 minutes of a commute in that case)? I have a car. I previously lived in a smallish town in Cork where I didn't have a car and found it difficult because I often ran into students in the evening. I would prefer to avoid them if I feel like going to an exercise class or something like that. I'm into horse riding, walking, going to gigs, singing in a choir, cinema, cooking, reading and travelling (Shannon is not far away I guess)! Any tips or advice would be welcome. Thanks! :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Deagol

I'm into horse riding (Several riding stables within 10 km's of Ennis that I know of).

walking (there's always people walking around the town for exercise, there's Lee's road and within 30-40km's you have 3 forest parks at least, plus the Burren.)

going to gigs (There's Glor in the town, and in Limerick you have Dolans for gigs).

singing in a choir, (Hmm, don't know about that one but there's a musical society that would always be looking for singers etc, and I'm willing to bet some of them would be in a choir).

cinema, (Multiscreen cinema in Ennis - 3 multis in LImerick (30 mins away).
    cooking, (I'm sure your house will have a cooker..)

reading (there's a library and 3 bookshops in Ennis).

travelling (Shannon is not far away I guess)! (Shannon has flights to many places, Dublin, Cork, Kerry and Knock airports are all only 2 hours away).

I think for living in Ennis our outside:- decision is down to property costs. Ennis would be more expensive to rent or buy in than a town or village nearby. On the other hand, if you like to have a socialable drink or 3 then living outside the town becomes more expensive for taxis etc. If you're used to living in a smaller village or town though you already know the cliques that can be hard to break into when you move into one. Whereas a town like Ennis won't have the same issues integrating.

And I think you will always bump into students. Remember, many students in Ennis will come from outlying towns and villages so moving to one of them is even more not less likely to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 red_scarlett34

Thanks Deagol, so you think it would be better for me to live in Ennis to do all these? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Deagol

If you want solitude and are happy with your own company then outside a town is fine.

If you're outgoing and want amenities within walking distance then in the town. You can always move later if you think you haven't got it right! (Unless you're buying a house straight away of course...)

I think for living in Ennis our outside:- decision is down to property costs. Ennis would be more expensive to rent or buy in than a town or village nearby. On the other hand, if you like to have a socialable drink or 3 then living outside the town becomes more expensive for taxis etc. If you're used to living in a smaller village or town though you already know the cliques that can be hard to break into when you move into one. Whereas a town like Ennis won't have the same issues integrating.

And I think you will always bump into students. Remember, many students in Ennis will come from outlying towns and villages so moving to one of them is even more not less likely to happen.

I'm used to paying high rents in Dublin so I think I'd be well able to pay Ennis rents. Considering buying a house down there if all goes well. I certainly wouldn't be able to buy one in Dublin or surrounding areas going from one sh***y contract to another and obviously the cost is much higher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,039 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I would suggest taking the permanent job; rent in Ennis short time and make full use of your car and time to scout outside Ennis to see if anything attracts you.
    If nothing attracts outside then concentrate within Ennis.

There are a number of property sales firms in Ennis which will have properties on their books some of which should be suitable.

• Advertisement

I would suggest taking the permanent job; rent in Ennis short time and make full use of your car and time to scout outside Ennis to see if anything attracts you.
    If nothing attracts outside then concentrate within Ennis.

There are a number of property sales firms in Ennis which will have properties on their books some of which should be suitable.

Thanks a million Johnboy1951, good advice there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,606 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

For singing/acting, there are musical societies in Ennis and Shannon that are both really active, and Corofin near Ennis has a very good Dramatic society. If you join one of these you'd have no problem at all in settling into the community.

Akrasia wrote: »
    For singing/acting, there are musical societies in Ennis and Shannon that are both really active, and Corofin near Ennis has a very good Dramatic society. If you join one of these you'd have no problem at all in settling into the community.

Oh that's brilliant, thanks Akrasia! Quite like drama as well as singing :)

Advertisement