Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turning very warm/hot, heatwave conditions likely; Sunday 24th -->

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

If it could carry until about 2nd/3rd, since I go on hols on the 4th, that would be fine! But damn, the garden needs some rain...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,994 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Just to say, if the house/apartment gets overpoweringly hot during the heatwave, do what our Southern European cousins do...

Keep windows closed during the day, yes that's right, otherwise you are letting in very hot air all day. Close blinds and curtains too during the day. Yes the darkness cools things down a bit.

Then when evening falls, and the sun has gone to bed, open windows and doors and blinds to let the cooler air circulate.

When abroad I could never understand why everywhere was shuttered up so much, but now I know!

Anyway as pp said, it's the humidity that's the killer here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,153 ✭✭✭pauldry

its too cold.

will it ever get hot?

And when will it cool down when it does

ill be roastin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

When abroad I could never understand why everywhere was shuttered up so much, but now I know!

But they also do this to keep the air-con effective, no point in blowing cold air out a window. But yes, it's a good tip!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Im coming home on the 27th June until the 4th July, i am hoping the weather stays!

We also let as many doors open in the morning and late evening as possible to get some air in. Here in Basel it was 30 degrees yesterday and the city gets hardly a breath of wind during the summer its unpleasant to say the least

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

mitresize5 wrote: »
    it hasnt arrived and people are complaining about it being too hot already.

We only just out of the last hot spell? :confused:

It will be interesting to see the hourly data for June when it is released next month. I have a feeling that the number of hours that reported temps of 20 deg.C or above during month at many of the stations would be near a record breaker.

New Moon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭highdef

ZX7R wrote: »
    Read somewhere one that due to our latitude and moisture content from surrounding sea acts like a prissoum making the sun feel hotter ,probably not scientificly true

What's a prissoum? I've never heard of it and google ain't showing up anything that looks like it could be related. By any chance, did you mean prism? If that is the case, then I reckon that's a load of dung!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,660 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Met Éireann's temperature maps show 2c as a minimum Friday night whilst 27c for Wednesday/Thursday next week. Be interesting to see it say something more than 30c given that it was showing 29 or 30c for May 29th. We all know how that turned out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,234 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Just to say, if the house/apartment gets overpoweringly hot during the heatwave, do what our Southern European cousins do...

Keep windows closed during the day, yes that's right, otherwise you are letting in very hot air all day. Close blinds and curtains too during the day. Yes the darkness cools things down a bit.

Then when evening falls, and the sun has gone to bed, open windows and doors and blinds to let the cooler air circulate.

Anyway as pp said, it's the humidity that's the killer here.

Alas, colony of False Widows on every windowsill. Windows may as well be glued shut.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

the warm, settled conditions look like lasting till next Friday or Saturday. It's looking possible that there could be a brief thundery spell next weekend. There is potential for another reload of heat up from Spain and North Africa into the first week of July.

Certainly for eastern, midland and southern areas it looks like potentially staying 'warm' right up to July 7th and possibly beyond.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

This weekend looking very good, particularly Sunday with Ireland showing the warmest values on Sunday. All next week looks very good as well with the mid to high 20s generally across Ireland.

Weekend Outlook from the Met Office

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUyu5H0QLCc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

highdef wrote: »
    What's a prissoum? I've never heard of it and google ain't showing up anything that looks like it could be related. By any chance, did you mean prism? If that is the case, then I reckon that's a load of dung!

Yes prism and I agree it probably horse ****

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Those praising the virtues of air conditioning and basic household fans should be ashamed of themselves:

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-44466214

Where would we proletariats be without some good old fashioned scolding from the ever virtuous chattering classes?

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Pretty cool in Dundalk right now. Strong cool winds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

complete change out here in West Mayo offshore.. Sun, blue sky.. sweet breeze

Is it time for someone to set up a "snap contest" for the coming week i.e The possible highlight of Summer 2018"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

mitresize5 wrote: »
    it hasnt arrived and people are complaining about it being too hot already.
    Just enjoy it while its here for gods sake, we had a ten month winter and we mightnt see weather like it for another few year!!!

I wouldn't mind but it's not even hot today. A fresh breeze and an average of 17c isn't hot.
    Some people just love a moan,rather wall to wall sun than what we generally have with grey leaden skies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

Definitely no heatwave yet. It's mostly cloudy, after this morning's clear skies, with a stiffish northwesterly breeze. And the temperature's only 17.8C.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Last night in Galway was "Freezing" today is cool with a Northerly wind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Definitely feeling cool today. The house has a right chill to it I side with the doors and windows open.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Warm enough in Cork City. 22/23 degrees with a warm breeze and occasional sunshine. Let it begin :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭highdef

Warm enough in Cork City. 22/23 degrees with a warm breeze and occasional sunshine. Let it begin :)

Is it really that warm there? 22/23c sounds rather dubious! I'd even be hard pushed to believe it if you said it was 20c.

highdef wrote: »
    Is it really that warm there? 22/23c sounds rather dubious! I'd even be hard pushed to believe it if you said it was 20c.

Yeah, neighbours station is reading it and car is too, just back in from a bit of sunbathing!

16c at Cork Airport at 16:00 whilst 17c at Roche's Point.

sryanbruen wrote: »

yep, Cork showing about 16/17C today.

http://www.meteociel.fr/observations-meteo/temperatures.php?region=uk

It is generally much cooler throughout the UK and Ireland. Temperatures should start recovering tomorrow after a chilly night tonight.

sryanbruen wrote: »

That constantly shows different temperture then nearer the city, it is a fair hill ride up to it and wide open flat plane with roches point being next to the coast, different temps usually. Wish they had another one closer to the actual city, would be nice.

Either way its getting exciting for the heat now lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

madmaggie wrote: »
    I remember in the summer of 1995, the temperatures were over 30C. I had a moped going to work, put on sunscreen, and by the time I got there looked like that sticky fly paper with all the midges stuck to me. Not an attractive look.

I remember the flying ants getting into my younger brother and my own hair, had to wash them out. They were all over than drainage around our estate too...and the roads were melting.

its 15.9c in Sligo officially

and prob 7.9c tonight

Then slightly warmer each day until late next week

GFS really is not showing great signs! Its ensembles are now forecasting a negative NAO and AO through the first week of July indicating Greenland blocking. GFS 12z is showing retrogression and a very different solution to anything we've seen. Oh boy. A chart like this wouldn't go wrong in January but it would in July.

jcy6Vb5.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

There's less cloud now but still a fair breeze. It's currently 18.9C

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement