Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turning very warm/hot, heatwave conditions likely; Sunday 24th -->

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Met Eireann

Weather Warnings

Status Yellow - High-Temperature warning for Carlow, Kildare, Kilkenny, Laois, Longford, Offaly, Westmeath, Meath, Galway, Leitrim, Roscommon, Clare, Limerick and Tipperary
    Highest temperatures on Wednesday expected to reach 27 or 28 degrees.

Issued: Tuesday 03 July 2018 16:00

Updated: Tuesday 03 July 2018 16:00

Valid from Wednesday 04 July 2018 14:00 to Wednesday 04 July 2018 19:00

qOvtxa7.png

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Got very warm around Tralee this afternoon, 28.1C at my station outside the town near the coast, absolutely roasting in town, got in my car and could barely hold the steering wheel.

27.9C atm
    Rh 38%

temp_uk_axt6.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Syranbruen how are we comparing to 2013s sunny spell as in duration of the good weather not highest temps

Cloud building in the morning/ afternoon with showers forecast in parts of Munster and South Leinster tomorrow. Must keep an eye on Cork ( showing a bit of CAPE atm ) to see if there could be a few sparks maybe moving inland .

hq5hesX.png

4227_jqy2.png

ngtaRJt.png

dh13nQT.png

LgXbaMw.png

• Advertisement

I'd say closer to 20-25 depending on where you are.

Drogheda scorching 😎

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Rain in Cork tomorrow? Thats gonna be interesting to see if it actually manifests

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

The above sat posted by M.Johnson is interesting. Shows a slight 'browning' occurring in around the Claregalway region north of Galway City. Passing through that area yesterday, I did not notice any sign of this, except that there was a lot of hay cut and with some bailing going on.

New Moon

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Rain in Cork tomorrow? Thats gonna be interesting to see if it actually manifests

Possibly accompanied by thunder and lightning if it does happen.

Seems so unusual after such a dry spell.

tempresult_lbz3.gif

tempresult_iiy2.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Possibly accompanied by thunder and lightning if it does happen.

well thats exciting, but who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Seems so unusual after such a dry spell.

Harmonie is showing very little in contrast, will be interesting to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    The above sat posted by M.Johnson is interesting. Shows a slight 'browning' occurring in around the Claregalway region north of Galway City. Passing through that area yesterday, I did not notice any sign of this, except that there was a lot of hay cut and with some bailing going on.

It is the same as here. According to coloration, large areas in West Mayo are brown,. whereas in fact grassland here is green.
    Sileage etc in full swing..

But the land in West Mayo is heavily bog which will show up as brown as it usually is.

Could that be the same as you are seeing?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Graces7 wrote: »
    It is the same as here. According to coloration, large areas in West Mayo are brown,. whereas in fact grassland here is green.
    Sileage etc in full swing..

But the land in West Mayo is heavily bog which will show up as brown as it usually is.

Could that be the same as you are seeing?

The land around here becomes increasing 'scrubby' and boggy to the north of town, but generally, it is good, flat pasture land between here and Galway City. The fields which were 'uncut' were as green as anything, but those which had hay cut in them or that held bales were distinctly yellow. Here in town, the fields and parklands near my housing estate are still green, though still lacking that certain lustre.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭22michael44

Not through closed curtains it can't,

Just common sense.

actually... anyway i'm not closing my curtains, that's just hermit behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭22michael44

Irish_rat wrote: »
    Okay that's taking things too far, it's a much lot less than being outside in it though.

yeah of course but i'm just saying, it makes more sense to wear sunscreen, open your window, go out and not become a shut-in than to try and avoid the sun completely, because technically you can't. unless you want to put UV film on your windows, which people do when they have extreme sun-sensitivity. or tinfoil lol

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I've someone down my way who always close their curtains at the same time,hail,rain,sun or snow.
    They told me they won't open windows to "keep out the hot air" but for the last few days the breeze has been really refreshing and we let it blow through the house. It's not as if the breeze is blowing across the Sahara.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,757 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

There is a big difference between the eastern half of the country and the western half in terms of the visual effect of a lack of precipitation on the grass and fauna. This visual impact will spread to other areas undoubtedly in the next few days as the very warm/hot weather returns from Friday.

It is advised by many experts. Just trying to keep the house cooler. Avoiding the magnification of heat through glass. It works!

yeah of course but i'm just saying, it makes more sense to wear sunscreen, open your window, go out and not become a shut-in than to try and avoid the sun completely, because technically you can't. unless you want to put UV film on your windows, which people do when they have extreme sun-sensitivity. or tinfoil lol

As I am all but bedbound these days...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

It is advised by many experts. Just trying to keep the house cooler. Avoiding the magnification of heat through glass. It works!

I'm pulling down the blind in my sitting room very soon,the football's starting.

I was in South Kilkenny today and travelled back through the Blackstairs,fields and hedgerows scorched brown. There's a green area near my house that's been maintained meticulously but it ain't green no more.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

today has probably been the coolest day here at Dunshaughlin since the warm spell began. It reached 21C here briefly at lunchtime, then again recently with the breeze weakening, but has mostly idled around 19/20C most of the afternoon.

I'm expecting it to be several degrees warmer tomorrow followed by another 'cooler' day like today on Thursday. Looking forward to the weekend temperatures, should be able to hit the mid 20s on Saturday and Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

It got up to 27.3C in Castlebar today, far less humid than the last two days with the humidity going down from 80-90% to 25-35%.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

That easterly breeze is quite refreshing, although it would be nicer if it was a bit less strong. It's 23.2C here now after a high of 24.4C an hour ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Syranbruen how are we comparing to 2013s sunny spell as in duration of the good weather not highest temps

I am guessing you mean July 2013 (because June 2013 as I'm sure you are aware had a very sunny spell at the beginning of the month). Here are comparisons of our stations' sunshine totals (hours) for the 21st June to 2nd July 2018 and the 4th to 22nd July 2013.

Station|21 Jun-2 Jul 2018|4-22 Jul 2013
    Belmullet|150.7|131.3
    Casement Aerodrome|166.0|181.3
    Cork Airport|159.8|202.6
    Dublin Airport|173.1|187.4
    Gurteen|157.4|N/A
    Johnstown Castle|150.2|N/A
    Knock Airport|146.6|150.4
    Malin Head|143.4|N/A
    Shannon Airport|163.2|165.4
    Valentia Observatory|165.0|143.0

*Gurteen and Johnstown Castle have no sunshine records from July 2013 available in the historical data. Malin Head's sunshine totals for July 2013 aren't available in the public domain as of yet.

Other stats for interest.

The 10 hours, 12 hours etc columns are the number of days that successfully reached that threshold at that station.

21st June to 2nd July 2018

Station|Avg hours of sun per day|10 hours|12 hours|14 hours|16 hours
    Belmullet|12.6|10|8|6|0
    Casement Aerodrome|13.8|11|10|8|0
    Cork Airport|13.3|11|9|6|0
    Dublin Airport|14.4|12|11|8|0
    Gurteen|13.1|10|9|6|0
    Johnstown Castle|12.5|9|8|7|0
    Knock Airport|12.2|11|7|5|1
    Malin Head|12.0|9|8|5|3
    Shannon Airport|13.6|11|9|6|0
    Valentia Observatory|13.8|11|10|9|0

4th to 22nd July 2013

Station|Avg hours of sun per day|10 hours|12 hours|14 hours|16 hours
    Belmullet|6.9|7|7|3|0
    Casement Aerodrome|9.5|11|7|5|0
    Cork Airport|10.7|12|11|6|0
    Dublin Airport|9.9|11|8|6|0
    Knock Airport|7.9|8|8|3|0
    Shannon Airport|8.7|8|8|5|0
    Valentia Observatory|7.5|7|4|3|0

We're doing better in terms of sun in a lot of ways with this 2018 spell than the July 2013 one. For the stats that were better in July 2013, keep in mind that spell was 19 days long and this one we're currently in is 12 days long so far and has yet to end.

Hope that answers your question.

All data comes from Met Éireann.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Met Eireann

Weather Warnings

Status Yellow - High-Temperature warning for Carlow, Kildare, Kilkenny, Laois, Longford, Offaly, Westmeath, Meath, Galway, Leitrim, Roscommon, Clare, Limerick and Tipperary
    Highest temperatures on Wednesday expected to reach 27 or 28 degrees.

Issued: Tuesday 03 July 2018 16:00

Updated: Tuesday 03 July 2018 16:00

Valid from Wednesday 04 July 2018 14:00 to Wednesday 04 July 2018 19:00

qOvtxa7.png

Hit 27.4c here today. An unusual lag between the AWS and manual thermometers - most days this fine spell it has been -0.2c to -0.3c. Today was -0.4c. Hope it's a one-off the gap being this large.

I realigned the sensor within the Stevenson's Screen. Hopefully that will assist it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Any chance of any rain anytime soon at all? Would be a nice bit of relief !

This is for Gonzo , I hope it materializes for you ! :)

kWpKNTg.png

dg66KzG.png

• Registered Users Posts: 23,757 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

ECM on Saturday conducive to the highest temperatures in the east with the wind off shore. Could be the highest temperatures of this period so far for Dublin in fact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Shannon max today was 28.0. Next nearest were Gurteen on 26.5. Mace Head 26.3, Finner 25.6.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement