Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turning very warm/hot, heatwave conditions likely; Sunday 24th -->

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

It’s raining in cork City apperantly. Have a feeling it won’t last long though. The grass in my areas is totally dead so have a feeling it won’t do much anyway but better then nothing!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

News just in.

The Azores High has been renamed the Hibernian High.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Pops_20

First few drops of rain falling in Cork City in god knows how long.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Just been blue skies after blue skies at Grange, hasn't felt too warm here today in comparison to a lot of people, in fact I have felt a chill at times. I've been real spoilt with sunshine since 21st June, really adore it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Very light rain in Cork city. Would barely notice it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

GFS and ECM showing no end in sight, this could go on until August

Starting to really wish my workplace had aircon. About 10 bluebottles per square foot in the place at this stage, every single window is open 24/7 so hard to avoid.

sdanseo wrote: »

Starting to really wish my workplace had aircon. About 10 bluebottles per square foot in the place at this stage, every single window is open 24/7 so hard to avoid.

In terms of the long range models (though this is out very far), the CFSv2 is keen on building a ridge of high pressure again for the end of July after a moderation and slight weakening but the BCC for the first week of August shows a very big change with northern blocking setting up and a trough over us.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,023 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Raining in Cork city but it's more of a token effort. It's not that heavy and people were still walking around as if it was warm(which it is) but it's not going to wet the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

sdanseo wrote: »

I think both are most definitely trending toward a breakdown currently

I would highly disagree especially with the GFS which on both its 06z and 12z runs today have gone away from the breakdown it was showing for Thursday 12th/Friday 13th July, now it's pushed to Monday 16th WITHOUT a thundery interlude. As these kinds of delays or downgrades continue, you can pretty much throw it in the bin - keep it on the line for now though.

I don't know what the ECM is doing at the end of both of its runs today. The 12z shows pressure slackening but very cool conditions like a northerly was to occur but it doesn't show it?

If anything occurs that is likely to disrupt the pattern and enhance the change then I will come on board.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

About August at the least. ;) It'll happen sometime but not soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

glorious rain in cork city :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Jesus lads. What's happend to us. We're tracking rain showers like it's white gold :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Status Yellow - Weather Advisory for Ireland

Update: The mostly dry and warm weather will continue across Ireland for the rest of this week and through next week as well, thus exacerbating drought conditions.

Updated: Wednesday 04 July 2018 20:00

Valid from Wednesday 04 July 2018 20:00 to Friday 06 July 2018 20:00

Next week: A continuation of this rather exceptional spell of settled weather seems likely with high pressure continuing to dominate our weather pattern well into next week.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

So the downpour that looked likely here turned out to be just a light sprinkling. Sky brightening up again now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

Jesus lads. What's happend to us. We're tracking rain showers like it's white gold :)

its been 3 weeks since we saw rain down here

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭glightning

‘Next week: A continuation of this rather exceptional spell of settled weather seems likely with high pressure continuing to dominate our weather pattern well into next week.’

...you know things are going good when the professionals even start commenting on it being “exceptional” :-)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

glightning wrote: »
    ‘Next week: A continuation of this rather exceptional spell of settled weather seems likely with high pressure continuing to dominate our weather pattern well into next week.’

...you know things are going good when the professionals even start commenting on it being “exceptional” :-)

Or bad depending on your point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭glightning

I was walking to work in the blazing sunshine this morning, temperature around 20c at 9am and was thinking to myself “You know what? When we get to autumn this year I will be looking back on this summer and being very satisfied - and ready for the change to autumn”.

Even if the spell ends in July, I’ll Still probably feel the same as we’ve had so much more sunshine and 20c+ temps than in many many years.

Of course, I’ll gladly take further sunshine and heat between now and Sept! I’ve a one week holiday abroad at beginning of August, but will be very very happy if the heat can (in general) extend through August. It would be a truely impressive summer if that’s the case. But in any case I am already 100% satisfied with the amount of hot weather we have got this year so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I remember last Summer,it was a grand week we had.:)
    This year people are rain chasing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Lovely fresh evening in Galway temp down to 17 degrees with a beautiful fresh Atlantic breeze, Heaven !!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I keep hearing about 1995 but yet for some reason I can't remember it too well.

https://www.rte.ie/archives/2015/0730/718254-weather-heat-wave-for-ireland/

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Tom Thumbless

No rain in our side of north Cork. Every so often there is a small breeze but mostly muggy

• Registered Users Posts: 40,023 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

That rain we had didn't last long. At least it tried.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Just drove from west Connemara to dublin. Left at abou 5PM temperature was a cool 16 on the car , 23 by the time I got to Moycullen, 21 outside Galway, up to 25 as I passed through East Galway, 26 East of Athlone and then back down to 23 in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

It felt like the hottest day of the wave today in west Dublin went into do a bit of shopping came out it bang it felt like getting off the plane in Spain

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Reached 28.0C here in north east Kilkenny today, then got cloudy and cooled down, a few drops of rain in the afternoon.
    Then some more glorious heavier drops of rain this evening, felt so good, but it was not enough for my weather station to register anything.

I’m beginning to feel very sorry for farmers and especially livestock . If my garden and lawn is suffering I can only imagine how farmers feel looking at their fields burning up . Cattle need water to thrive , cows need it to produce good yields of milk . Horses are suffering too and sheep. Farmers have been culling cattle that they can’t fatten now and can’t afford to hold on to as food is in such short supply.

It’s easy for us as humans to rock up to Tesco or any petrol station to buy a can of Coke, a cool 6 pack or beer, ice cream , water etc. We can enjoy the heat, head to the beach to cool off.........

Animals are suffering and are dependent on dwindling water supplies. Wildlife need it , birds are becoming so quiet, no water in the rivers for swans and their young. I was out cycling at the weekend and was shocked at the impact on wildlife. Gorse and forest fires will become a higher risk day by day. It’s very worrying .

People who are telling everyone to just enjoy it aren’t looking at the bigger picture , there will be repercussions for months.... even if we got rain tomorrow .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Sure there will be reprocussions but there really isn’t anything we can do about it. Nature will do what nature does, we can’t just make it rain. I have a feeling this will be a learning curve of a year for everybody, especially farmers, to prepare for the seasons and everything that could happen in the future. We all know we can now get extreme low temperatures and now even droughts.

But again weather will do what weather does we can’t do anything. So if you can enjoy the heat enjoy it. If you don’t like the heat then try your best to avoid it. Do as you want but this is rare in Ireland, we all know that :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

got very close to 27C here today. not as warm as Wednesday 27th June which reached 28C here, but today felt hotter.

I reckon this weekend could be the hottest weekend of the year across the east including Dublin, and remaining very hot till about Tuesday. Next week still looks mostly very settled but unsure of how warm or hot it will get.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement