Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turning very warm/hot, heatwave conditions likely; Sunday 24th -->

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,661 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

2006 was a drought? At least it was in South Tipp, water was turned off for a few hours every day for around a week

I don't have recollections of a drought (probably because I was too young to even understand what the word drought means) of 2006 but from a statistical point (which I can only speak by), it doesn't seem like a drought period. May 2006 was exceptionally wet and the wettest on record for some for a start.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 145 ✭✭BliainanAir

sdanseo wrote: »
    A cow can drink 120 litres in a day?

Between 30 and 50 gallons so actually 40 gallons is 150 litres! In hot weather i must add. Crazy!

I suppose we're set up to get rid of excess water and a year like that just catches us out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,234 ✭✭✭sdanseo

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Going by your logic at the end then hosepipe ban should always be a thing in the case of Northern Ireland.

I only said that because I was wondering why Northern Ireland out of all of the UK got a hosepipe ban compared to England where it has been far drier than Northern Ireland and then somebody gave that answer that I said on here.

I'd imagine their water supply system must be in shíte if they did that (I hadn't heard). I suppose if the problem was chronic even in normal weather then they have to draw the line somewhere between draconian water saving and allowing people to use hoses. You can't ban them for months on end and expect it to work either.

I was researching and i suppose a bit like ourselves it more than doubles in hot weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Did you see the RTE news tonight ? Swans in a few inches of water in a river in the Midlands with young signets. Cattle walking right down into river beds to get water and levels dropping by the day? If there is no water there is no grass for feed . Yeah sure RTE were probably just having a laugh , I’d say farmers think it’s really funny too .

Missread that part of your post and thought you meant us humans had a food shortage, but ya a bit OTT with the rivers being dried up, I do alot of fishing and the rivers are very low but far from dry. Swans will be grand. Wildlife adapts. It's farmed animals that suffer most. I do pity the farmers but my pity isn't going to deliver rain so I don't let it bother me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

It's still 20.1C here in Glasnevin with 69% humidity so it must be a lot warmer than others are saying. It could be the warmest night here yet.

Just a reply to sdanseo or Ultimate Seduction, not sure who posed the question.

Most winters a problem with slurry tanks is rainwater seems to find a way into them and especially in very wet wintry weather you get some rainfall run off into them.

You often find your slurry tank filling in Dec/Jan/Feb. You have to get rid of this mixture of water and slurry before the tank overflows or you will poison wells, rivers etc.

So you get a contractor, if you don't have the machinery, and they spread it on fields. Often the land isn't trafficable so the literally use a machine that spreads into fields from the roads. It reaches over hedges.

I was researching and i suppose a bit like ourselves it more than doubles in hot weather.

The water hasn't been turned off though so don't cattle usually drink out of troughs, connected to the mains? I thought twas just grass was the problem not drinking water for the animals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

You should check with Teagasc. Could be an EU payment for that stocking rate

The water hasn't been turned off though so don't cattle usually drink out of troughs, connected to the mains? I thought twas just grass was the problem not drinking water for the animals.

Yes for farms connected to a mains.

Many farms rely on their own wells sunk into the ground. Pipes from these wells use gravity flow to a trough in a low lying area of a field.

Got a call from my bro Sunday morning, our heifirs (young female cattle who are not rearing calves) had drunk one well dry! So we moved them to a field where the well is still holding water.

It just adds up by the day..But look that's life. People have problems in every occupation and we'll survive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Maxed at 27.7c in Durrow following an overnight low of 9c, the first single digit temperature recorded since June 25th. Avoided any rain here this evening though nearby Abbeyleix got a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Between 30 and 50 gallons so actually 40 gallons is 150 litres! In hot weather i must add. Crazy!

The whole strength of our farm industry is based on embodied water, including the beef industry; as we get great grass growth.
    Farmers are already looking at huge problems this winter, even if the winter is a mild one.

An Ri rua wrote: »
    The whole strength of our farm industry is based on embodied water, including the beef industry; as we get great grass growth.
    Farmers are already looking at huge problems this winter, even if the winter is a mild one.

It's two compounded problems. Late Spring. Nice bit of growth in May but then curtailed by drought. Ideally a mild wet August and good growth in September would allow people harvest fodder for the winter.

I hate mentioning wet August!! Every fibre in my body wants heat and sun!! I'm from farming stock, but my work has nothing to do with farming. One step removed. Even my brother hates wishing for rain..it's alien to us!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Beautiful evening down here in west cork. Had no rain at all, and the sunset was a gorgeous orange. Air is much fresher then the city where I’ll be heading back too tomorrow due to the sea breeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

The beady eyed among us will have noticed a trend developing to weaken heights over us towards the latter end of next week. Also the hot favourite (pardon the pub) is for this change to come from the Northwest rather than a thundery breakdown from the South.
    Of course it could be just a blip for a day or two but for me I think this amazing settled spell will be on life support in a weeks time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

An Ri rua wrote: »

Didn't a lot of farmers 2 years ago cut too much silage, and so scaled back the production before last winter, which was much longer than usual?

Been a ****ty time for farmers lately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Mobhi1 wrote: »
    It's still 20.1C here in Glasnevin with 69% humidity so it must be a lot warmer than others are saying. It could be the warmest night here yet.
    Yes, without a doubt this is the warmest evening this summer in my opinion, normally at this time I would be closing windows because of a chill caused by the easterly breeze but this is the first night that has a real Mediterranean feel to it. :) 19.2 now but actually feels a lot warmer.
    This is arguably the first good summer of the 21st century in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

This is arguably the first good summer of the 21st century in Ireland.

Er what about 03, 06 and especially 2013??

Agreed on it being one of the warmer nights though.

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »

Agreed on it being one of the warmer nights though.

Throw in 2014 too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,824 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭vickers209

just went out for spin in car from ashford to wicklow and back and temp was 20c at parked

i expected temp to drop when drove off but it went up to 21C and stayed there for 10k trip at 11.30 at night!!!

The grass here is 80% yellow at this stage comming back from arklow today around the beehive all fields on the hills are yellow the grass all along road yellow and some trees changing colour also

Starting to look like canarys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭glightning

sryanbruen wrote: »
    sdanseo wrote: »
    It's a mixture of both.

Even if the reservoirs were filled to the brim, the water treament plants can only supply a fixed amount of treated potable water to consumers. Of this a large amount is lost to leaks and wasteage. Deman then naturally increases with the heat.

In the medium term, if the dry weather continues, the reservoirs will continue to drop and eventually if there was no rain they would empty, and that's where a Cape Town type scenario would kick in. The likelihood that Ireland's supply of water would dry up in this way is stupendously low, but then again, we don't invest enough in public infrastructure and that which we do spend is based around the probabilities we are used to, not catering for reservoir capacity needed for a month of drought.

The difference is kind of like the technical difference between an absolute drought and an effective drought. Just because rain is falling doesn't mean everywhere gets it. Just because the reservoir has water doesn't mean everywhere can be supplied.

tl;dr - it makes sense to ban the unnecessary use of water when the ability to supply the amount required is uncertain. Add in the fact that replensihment may also come under threat, and it's a no brainer.

Going by your logic at the end then hosepipe ban should always be a thing in the case of Northern Ireland.

I only said that because I was wondering why Northern Ireland out of all of the UK got a hosepipe ban compared to England where it has been far drier than Northern Ireland and then somebody gave that answer that I said on here.

I don’t think the stats tally very well for Northern Ireland. The vast (and I mean vast) majority of the rainfall totals this summers came from isolated thunderstorms during the early June warm spell. And most places got no rain during that time. It was really only places west of Lough Neagh and towards the NE that got rainfall from those storms.
    For example, I watched a number of those storms from where I live as ‘dry’ storm events. Close enough to see lightning and here thunder but zero rain.
    Outside of the thundery day’s, there’s been no rain at all since some point in May.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

20.3c here still with a westerly breeze.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    They were only heatwaves that lasted about two weeks, I think 2018 will be compared with 1976, '83, '89, '95 with the way things are going! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭compsys

20c at midnight at Dublin Airport!

Crazy the temp difference a slight wind direction can make.

Since mid June the station has been down to 10 or 11c by midnight most nights. So a big change.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

They were only heatwaves that lasted about two weeks, I think 2018 will be compared with 1976, '83, '89, '95 with the way things are going! :)
    I remember another prolonged period of hot weather in July 2013.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

2013 wasnt as hot and the clear warm weather was broken up into smaller packets by a couple of days of cloud or rain between every 4-7 days clear warmer periods but the cycle lasted June, July and August IIRC. Definitely not a 1995 but the best Summer since 1995 IMHO. Summer 2014 was nearly as good as 2013 for me in Bray but I'll readily admit while 2013 was a country wide great Summer, the clear Summer weather in 2014 seemed limited to the extreme east coast because convection would bubble up cloud every day without fail across the rest of the country but the sea Breeze would hold it back from the coast leaving a 20 mile wide eastern coastal strip in the clear while the rest of the country clouded over ever afternoon.

U2idXum.jpg

Deffo looking like 2018 will rank alongside 1995 or 1976 at this rate though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Extremely overcast here in leixlip this morn. It's currently "raining", but its an insult to rain to call what's falling rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

I think both are most definitely trending toward a breakdown currently

I stand by this. I think there’s another 7 days maximum before cool westerlies. Also. I think we will see a lot more shower activity in the interim

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Totally different morning here on the kildare kildare/Laois border. Completely overcast and not a hint of sunshine. Cool breeze with temperatures hovering around 12c .
    Didn’t get any rain yesterday even with the dark clouds but looking very likely again this morning.
    Will take a while for this cloud to burn off if it does at all...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement