Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turning very warm/hot, heatwave conditions likely; Sunday 24th -->

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Any truth to the danger of heavy thunderstorms from midweek on? Heard a few rumours

• Registered Users Posts: 6,256 ✭✭✭highdef

Reggie. wrote: »
    Any truth to the danger of heavy thunderstorms from midweek on? Heard a few rumours
    Very unlikely during the working week. Where's the source of these rumours?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,756 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Reggie. wrote: »

Any thunderstorms would be very isolated (with probably none at all) and mostly in the far west and northwest until at least next weekend on current evidence.

Otherwise it's dry throughout. Not expecting any rainfall between now and next Friday at the earliest. Can't rule out the odd sharp shower but it looks very stable at the moment with high pressure well in control.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Any thunderstorms would be very isolated (with probably none at all) and mostly in the far west and northwest until at least next weekend on current evidence.

Otherwise it's dry throughout. Not expecting any rainfall between now and next Friday at the earliest. Can't rule out the odd sharp shower but it looks very stable at the moment with high pressure well in control.
    Thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,614 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Ridiculously dry for the next week with practically the whole of Ireland under 5% of average rainfall.

GFS 18z doesn't show signs of the northern blocking which the 12z did 'til the very last frame. It's warm and settled throughout the run.

bBXfBc7.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

I'll go with 30C at Ardfert to be confirmed in a tweet by Joanna :cool:

Really looking forward to some heat though the past month has been great already, I've been in shorts and t-shirt far more often than not.

The lack of rain is definitely going to become a talking point though, a few hours of drizzle here and there is all we've had in the past month here and as evidenced above there's nothing in the pipeline any time soon

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

I'll go with 30C at Ardfert to be confirmed in a tweet by Joanna :cool:

Really looking forward to some heat though the past month has been great already, I've been in shorts and t-shirt far more often than not.

The lack of rain is definitely going to become a talking point though, a few hours of drizzle here and there is all we've had in the past month here and as evidenced above there's nothing in the pipeline any time soon

There has been a lot of talk already about the prospect of water rationing coming into force and even of wells drying up particularly in the south and east of the country. Hard to believe we are facing that after all the wet cold weather last winter and early spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

What a morning after a nice clear night where my station hit 2.1c!

https://twitter.com/carlowweather/status/1010038038624337921?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Lovely lovely morning. Cool still and clear skies... Utter peace

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Malayalam

I'm very excited about this upcoming heatwave.

excited1.gif
    capote-jointures-gif.gif

Really :o I love warm weather!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Agent_47

Better get that beer in before the CO2 crisis hits

• Registered Users Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Looking forward to the coming week :) Im going for Mount Dillon as a hot spot, 29 degrees,Thursday 4pm met reports.

It was the coldest spot in the early hours of this morning when it reported a temperature at just 2 degrees. 3c in Gurteen and Markee Castle stations in Cos Tipperary and Sligo respectively. Mt. Dillon in Co. Roscommon maybe the station that record the highest temperature this summer.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Amazing charts by the ECM this morning showimg very hot all the way into next weekend . Showing 16C 850 hPa isotherm over the country at times, we might have to revise our high temperature predictions upwards.

It's going to be one hot week, high 20's touching 30 or above looks very likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,398 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

our solar powered hot water tank is going to explode...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭snowstreams

lawred2 wrote: »
    our solar powered hot water tank is going to explode...

I was worried about the same thing.
    So in the last heat wave I was draining it into the kids paddling pool!

I think the expansion tanks should be able to handle the excess heat though. As long as the coolant temp stays below 130-140c its ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,614 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Get used to seeing sunshine totals like this for the next week.

https://twitter.com/MetEireann/status/1009922931609219072

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11 A Fridge too Far

Hi. This is a very insightful discussion on the coming weather. RTE and Google and Apple Weather etc all show Dublin not actually having heatwaves conditions. Low 20s for the week with a high of 24 on Friday. Doesn't a heatwave require 5 days + of 25c? It looks great alright but not much different to what we had a few weeks ago.
    Why all the excitement this time? Is it because some parts of the country will possibly get to late 20s? Sorry for the Dublincentric question!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,256 ✭✭✭highdef

Hi. This is a very insightful discussion on the coming weather. RTE and Google and Apple Weather etc all show Dublin not actually having heatwaves conditions. Low 20s for the week with a high of 24 on Friday. Doesn't a heatwave require 5 days + of 25c? It looks great alright but not much different to what we had a few weeks ago.
    Why all the excitement this time? Is it because some parts of the country will possibly get to late 20s? Sorry for the Dublincentric question!

MOST parts of the country look like getting a heatwave. You are indeed being Dublincentric. An easterly breeze may pick up during the week and it is this breeze that would moderate temperatures in Eastern areas.

I can almost see this thread this time next week awash with Dubs and East Coasters saying the forecast was wrong and that it's not that hot.

It all depends on the wind strength and direction and this is still subject to change.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Dublin City will be effected by Irish Sea coastal breezes and temperatures generally lower there than further inland. The Western suburbs should be a few degree's higher than say the coastal parts of Dublin. It will still be very warm in most places and shouldn't be as chilly for Dublin as the last warm spell.

I predict the highest temperatures for this spell across the midlands and west.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,419 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Pressure is pretty high which will dampen sea breezes to an extent though within a couple of km of the sea, temps are likely to be pegged back with highest temps early morning and late in the evening as they die down. The likes of The Pheonix park will see temperatures in the mid 20's I'd imagine as well as Dundrum, Tallaght and other areas a bit inland so most of Dublin will be warm enough for most :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭pad199207

Yeah have a feeling that Dublin will be wondering what all the fuss is about next week in terms of heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,398 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

pad199207 wrote: »
    Yeah have a feeling that Dublin will be wondering what all the fuss is about next week in terms of heat.

I see 10 days of sustained 18 - 26 for Dublin - the 18 today and most of next week being 23+

This is Ireland - that is hot

Try sitting out the back where the predicted temp in the shade is 26 degrees

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

The lack of rain is definitely going to become a talking point though, a few hours of drizzle here and there is all we've had in the past month here

Were you in Donegal on Tuesday? If not you missed rainfall of epic proportions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭pad199207

lawred2 wrote: »
    I see 10 days of sustained 18 - 26 for Dublin - the 18 today and most of next week being 23+

This is Ireland - that is hot

Try sitting out the back where the predicted temp in the shade is 26 degrees

Oh it totally agree with you. 23-26c is fantastic for Ireland. Its just 26-30c is nice to experience in Ireland once in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Foggy Jew

5 days annual leave applied for and approved.................. Check
    Slab of Bulmers bought and paid for................................Check
    Inflatable paddling pool acquired and inflated....................Check
    Couple of bottles of Rose wine chilling in fridge..................Check
    The makings of BBQ's for next 7 days sorted.....................Check

BRING IT ON :):):)

It's the bally ballyness of it that makes it all seem so bally bally.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,425 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Do you have enough Bread?? (burger buns and hot dog rolls?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Missymoohaa

It's fantastic to see the great weather ahead of us in the forecasts don't get me wrong but I'm off to Wexford (Courtown) on 7th July and I've just this terrible feeling that it will all break down to wet and miserable by then. But on the positive side, the sea should be a lot warmer than this time last year (it was baltic) Shouldn't it?? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

When the GFS forecasts 29c you know very well that it's going to be hot hot hot

2e2o375.png

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

It's fantastic to see the great weather ahead of us in the forecasts don't get me wrong but I'm off to Wexford (Courtown) on 7th July and I've just this terrible feeling that it will all break down to wet and miserable by then. But on the positive side, the sea should be a lot warmer than this time last year (it was baltic)?? Shouldn't it??:pac:

Going by the predictions here, wet cool weather seems to be off the radar for at least the first week of July although it probably won`t be as warm as next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

2018 is going down in weather folklore, epic snowfall (well for everyone but us in Donegal) and Heatwaves and we haven't even reached July yet.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement