Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turning very warm/hot, heatwave conditions likely; Sunday 24th -->

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,703 ✭✭✭Inviere

Mobhi1 wrote: »
    How come those countries always have enough water to spray over people in the streets during a heatwave when we're not allowed to misuse water here.

Knowing Canada that water is draining back into a closed pump system & sprayed back out & out & out perhaps? Not sure, just guessing

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

davidsr20 wrote: »
    Is the prediction for over 30 degrees again next week still on the cards? Seems to be all over the media

certainly forecasted temperatures for my area for Saturday-Tuesday have been on the downward trend. It was looking like 28-30C, but now more like 25-26C for this weekend, and back to 21-24C for next week with easterly sea breezes once again taking effect.

This weekend may also be cooler than it has been over the west and north-west with alot more cloud about.

Temperatures look like they may hit high 20s in some eastern and southern locations over the weekend but I don't think we will see 31s and 32s.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Looks like Oak Park is going to fall 3 days short of Birr's 1976 record of 14 consecutive days of at least 25c.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Currently 22c in a light breeze. Feels coolish when compared to the past two weeks. In other summer's I would have said that this was warm. Now I know exactly how tourists feel when they come here!

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

We could do with a proper day of rain.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Danno wrote: »
    Currently 22c in a light breeze. Feels coolish when compared to the past two weeks. In other summer's I would have said that this was warm. Now I know exactly how tourists feel when they come here!

Agreed feels on the cool side here today as well. Maybe we are beginning to become acclimatised to the warmer temperatures.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Maybe we are beginning to become acclimatised to the warmer temperatures.

God love us later this year. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Lenny5

Some people on here If this heatwave persists :-)

yyfifsW.png[\IMG]

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

looking at met Eireann's 1pm temperatures, today is definitely the coolest nationwide day we've had since the beginning of the warm spell. Many places still in the mid to high teens, a few eastern and southern areas have nudged into the very low 20s. Temperatures today generally more typical of what you would expect in Ireland in July.

Today's cooler conditions probably a welcome break for many, but no real break from the continued dryness.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Lenny5 wrote: »
    Some people on here If this heatwave persists :-)

yyfifsW.png[\IMG]

Link not opening.

• Advertisement

Link not opening.

gq6iLI8.png

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

km79 wrote: »
    Noooooooooooooooo

Yessssssssssssssssss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

19 people dead in Canada due to 5 days of 30c+ heat. And you have posters here saying the world is laughing at us for giving a warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

Gonzo wrote: »
    looking at met Eireann's 1pm temperatures, today is definitely the coolest nationwide day we've had since the beginning of the warm spell. Many places still in the mid to high teens, a few eastern and southern areas have nudged into the very low 20s. Temperatures today generally more typical of what you would expect in Ireland in July.

Today's cooler conditions probably a welcome break for many, but no real break from the continued dryness.

Yes, it is respite from the 25+ degree heat which is welcome in itself.

Plus it is a day without extreme heat and a day closer to when this "rainless" spell ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

pauldry wrote: »
    A lot of cloud in the NW and more to come between now and Sunday

Might even have to issue a rainfall warning for between 0 and 3mm of rain like they did during Winter at one stage "of zero to 3cm of snow"

You're joking, but rain after a long period of dry weather can actually wreak havoc on the roads. Oils that have collected in the tarmac are brought up to the surface and it can all be very slick and slippy compared to the wet surfaces we're used to.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

19 people dead in Canada due to 5 days of 30c+ heat. And you have posters here saying the world is laughing at us for giving a warning.

Woah :(

Are any global records being broken this summer?
    Is it a particularly hot summer for other countries in the Northern hemisphere too?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

baby steps,the wheels seem to be coming off the fine spell slowly,its fantasy island but its becoming consistent on every run.

temperatures trending downwards next week also.

NOoooo! :(

The past two days was trending very warm/hot over the next week, that seems to be downgrading quite a bit now to low 20s.

Should still hold dry for another week.

Currently 19C here at Dunshaughlin, it may not even break 20C today. Should be back into the 20's from tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

The past two days was trending very warm/hot over the next week, that seems to be downgrading quite a bit now to low 20s.

Should still hold dry for another week.

Currently 19C here at Dunshaughlin, it may not even break 20C today. Should be back into the 20's from tomorrow.

I'll be shocked if I don't see at least 28c over the weekend in Carlow, my station has hit 24.9c today, just 0.1c short of the magic 25c.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,400 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

:(

• Advertisement

Villain wrote: »
    I'll be shocked if I don't see at least 28c over the weekend in Carlow, my station has hit 24.9c today, just 0.1c short of the magic 25c.

yeah weekend still looks very warm till about Monday. I'm hoping for one more 27C over the weekend myself. Next week I think it will be more like 22s and 23s.

Breakdown is still far out in FI but could happen sooner than we think depending on how things work out over the next week.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Oak Park creeping up to 24 at 3pm, will be a real struggle to maintain its heatwave status. Moore park looks doomed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭compsys

Feels like toys being thrown out of the pram in here somewhat.

If it literally rained everyday between now and September it’d still be an OK summer by Irish standards.

Plenty of blue skies now in Dublin 13.

finally hit 20C here. Still mostly cloudy with the odd glimpse of hazy sunshine.

compsys wrote: »
    Feels like toys being thrown out of the pram in here somewhat.

If it literally rained everyday between now and September it’d still be an OK summer by Irish standards.

that is true. We've already had more sunshine and a longer run of temperatures above 20C than we do most summers. As much of May, most of June and a good chunk of July is warm, dry and settled, a possibly normal Atlantic muck August will be a cruel way to end Summer.

I'm not saying August is going to be lousy, but I don't think the current run of great conditions is going to stay as is right up to the end of August! If we can pull off one decent week in August I'll be well happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Inviere wrote: »
    Knowing Canada that water is draining back into a closed pump system & sprayed back out & out & out perhaps? Not sure, just guessing

Same as many ornamental fountains here. Pond, fountain spraying back into pond.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭2013Lara

Beautiful day all day in Wicklow.

that is true. We've already had more sunshine and a longer run of temperatures above 20C than we do most summers. As much of May, most of June and a good chunk of July is warm, dry and settled, a possibly normal Atlantic muck August will be a cruel way to end Summer.

I'm not saying August is going to be lousy, but I don't think the current run of great conditions is going to stay as is right up to the end of August! If we can pull off one decent week in August I'll be well happy.

Hopefully we can achieve at least a maximum of 25c sometime in August. August 2017's maximum for Ireland was only 23.2c which was the second lowest August monthly maximum since 1987 with only 1992 being lower at a maximum of 22.1c. Coincidentally enough, both were front-loaded Summers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

My station climbed to 26.7c after wind went more West of North, well truly keeping the heatwave going in Tullow :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement