Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turning very warm/hot, heatwave conditions likely; Sunday 24th -->

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Temperature no where near what they were this time last week but it feels way warmer today .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

The sun's out again here in Glasnevin. It's now 22.3C.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭Gambas

A miserable 19.3 in Galway now. Even had a bit of drizzle this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Villain wrote: »
    My station climbed to 26.7c after wind went more West of North, well truly keeping the heatwave going in Tullow :D

Awaiting oak park 4 p.m. so :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

'Tornado' might be pushing it but

Nice little dust devil though

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Looks like Scotland didn't break their warmest day on record after all.

https://twitter.com/metoffice/status/1014886624465829889

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Never venture onto this forum but the golf courses browning nicely, Arklow yesterday

rbdu85.jpg

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Whiplashy

24 here currently on the Tipp/Kilkenny border. Highest it’s been today. Think this heatwave must be coming to an end :( Going away for a few days next week so fingers crossed it picks up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,757 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Don't know what the panic is about on here.

Temperatures will be mid to high twenties over the weekend and well in to next week. Usual caveats apply in relation to temperature on windward coasts.

There may be some cloud skirting the northwest at times as well.

The dry and very warm weather continuing until Thursday at least and probably longer.

There are varying ideas for a breakdown toward next weekend but that is pie in the sky stuff so it's interesting but I wouldn't take it too seriously yet. The only model with a genuine breakdown is the GFS but that is out in cuckoo land.

Enjoy what's here instead of worrying what is 10 days out. Otherwise you miss the experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

Any chance of a shift away from easterlies?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Mobhi1 wrote: »
    Any chance of a shift away from easterlies?

the easterlies much less noticeable over this weekend and into Monday. Temperatures over the weekend along the east coast and Dublin should be similar to the great conditions and temperatures we enjoyed yesterday, maybe even slightly higher.

Easterlies may be back from Tuesday with cooler onshore breezes again.

Kent finally got some rain and a lot of it in a short period of time.

https://twitter.com/StormchaserUKEU/status/1014896662425239553

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

After a slow start we have 25 again today and it feels dam hot out...21 this morning and I was feeling cold.
    Definitely looks like in the 20s for the next week anyway..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭squarecircles

looks like somewhere in eastern europe in high summer,untill you hear ''oh jaysus''
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Gonzo wrote: »
    that is true. We've already had more sunshine and a longer run of temperatures above 20C than we do most summers. As much of May, most of June and a good chunk of July is warm, dry and settled, a possibly normal Atlantic muck August will be a cruel way to end Summer.

I'm not saying August is going to be lousy, but I don't think the current run of great conditions is going to stay as is right up to the end of August! If we can pull off one decent week in August I'll be well happy.

csv2 model shows high pressure anomaly still over uk and ireland into August

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

I think I have to declare the heatwave in Roscrea broken :(

11 days in a row of 25+

Max today 23.9

455048.png

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Can we bank this?

18071018_0500.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Scorcher of a day in cork city. Car is reading from 25-27 degrees all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Can we bank this?

18071018_0500.gif

Not bad but navgem always seems 4-5 degrees out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

Can we bank this?

Meh. 17C on the Dublin coast.
    Im getting bored with these relentless easterlies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

Don't know what the panic is about on here.

Temperatures will be mid to high twenties over the weekend and well in to next week. Usual caveats apply in relation to temperature on windward coasts.

There may be some cloud skirting the northwest at times as well.

The dry and very warm weather continuing until Thursday at least and probably longer.

There are varying ideas for a breakdown toward next weekend but that is pie in the sky stuff so it's interesting but I wouldn't take it too seriously yet. The only model with a genuine breakdown is the GFS but that is out in cuckoo land.

Enjoy what's here instead of worrying what is 10 days out. Otherwise you miss the experience.

Hold on Kermit, are you saying there will be pie in the sky next week?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    Er what about 03, 06 and especially 2013??

Agreed on it being one of the warmer nights though.

2003 was awful. High 20s gloom. Classed as hazy sunshine, but was in fact grey. The worst kind of hot weather. Whilst the UK basked in sun.

2006 had a good July but only two weeks of the four. June and August were nothing special. And the hot spell became increasingly and unpleasantly humid.
    I remember another prolonged period of hot weather in July 2013.

The hot spell in 2013 wasn’t very long-lasting. A week or so.

_Dara_ wrote: »
    2003 was awful. High 20s gloom. Classed as hazy sunshine, but was in fact grey. The worst kind of hot weather. Whilst the UK basked in sun.

2006 had a good July but only two weeks of the four. June and August were nothing special. And the hot spell became increasingly and unpleasantly humid.

The hot spell in 2013 wasn’t very long-lasting. A week or so.

Incorrect about June 2006 not being special - August wasn't though. June 2006 was statistically the driest since 1995, the sunniest since 1975 and the warmest since 1976 plus July 2013's hot spell began on 4th July for some and lasted 'til the 22nd but even after the 22nd, it stayed warmer than average. That's a long time by Irish standards.

Meanwhile, this is basically the models right now. GFS 12z in particular is a huge mess in every aspect in FI.

tXAp3Vi.jpg

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Incorrect about June 2006 not being special - August wasn't though. June 2006 was statistically the driest since 1995, the sunniest since 1975 and the warmest since 1976 plus July 2013's hot spell began on 4th July for some and lasted 'til the 22nd but even after the 22nd, it stayed warmer than average. That's a long time by Irish standards.

I’m guessing stats didn’t translate to anything special on the ground. There was a maybe 2.5 week period of sunny, hot weather in 2006 in July. Outside of that, it was not memorable. Did dryness and sunniest translate to high temperatures or continuous blue skies? Not to mention the highly unpleasant humidity that built throughout the hot spell.

Having lived through 1995, 2006 was nothing special outside the July hot spell.

_Dara_ wrote: »
    I’m guessing stats didn’t translate to anything special on the ground. There was a maybe 2.5 week period of sunny, hot weather in 2006 in July. Outside of that, it was not memorable. Did dryness and sunniest translate to high temperatures or continuous blue skies? Not too much the highly unpleasant humidity that built throughout the hot spell.

Having lived through 1995, 2006 was nothing special outside the July hot spell.

The last few days of May to 9th June was continuous blue skies. Here's the satellite for 2nd June 2006 for example, a typical day during the spell:

sAZ083g.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭spoonerhead

Last few weeks it’s hit mid-Twenties on the east coast? If anything the sea breeze is being heavily exaggerated

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

.. know the feeling.
    Wouldn't it great if we were able to say that in January and February?
    only 18.7c now.

• Advertisement

sryanbruen wrote: »
    The last few days of May to 9th June was continuous blue skies. Here's the satellite for 2nd June 2006 for example, a typical day during the spell:

sAZ083g.jpg

My gauge is this: I’m a total baby when it comes to the cold, always have been throughout my life. However, in 1995, I spent probably 3 out of every 5 weekdays for a six to seven week period swimming in our local town’s freezing cold open air pool because the weather was hot and sunny enough to do so. And the only reason I wasn’t there every day was money-related. There hasn’t been any summer since where that has been anywhere close to possible. 2006 - two weeks, maybe three. 2013 and 2014 - one week. 2003 - the odd day here and there but hot, hazy gloom was predominant.

Those of us who enjoyed heatwaves like 1995 or 1976 can’t help but feel underwhelmed by what came after.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement