Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turning very warm/hot, heatwave conditions likely; Sunday 24th -->

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Not bad but navgem always seems 4-5 degrees out.

Oh yeah but fun to look at :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

_Dara_ wrote: »
    My gauge is this: I’m a total baby when it comes to the cold, always have been throughout my life. However, in 1995, I spent probably 3 out of every 5 weekdays for a six to seven week period swimming in our local town’s freezing cold open air pool because the weather was hot and sunny enough to do so. And the only reason I wasn’t there every day was money-related. There hasn’t been any summer since where that has been anywhere close to possible. 2006 - two weeks, maybe three. 2013 and 2014 - one week. 2003 - the odd day here and there but hot, hazy gloom was predominant.

Those of us who enjoyed heatwaves like 1995 or 1976 can’t help but feel underwhelmed by what came after.

That's all fair so you like easterly Summer seasons?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Ok, this nonsense has gone on long enough! I demand rain and 14c.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

We have had some special sunsets this summer but I think a combination of haze and cirrus will make this evening's extra special. Lets wait and see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

sryanbruen wrote: »
    That's all fair so you like easterly Summer seasons?

I guess so!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

All I think about this Summer is

1976 1995 and 2018

These are the best 3 Summers I can remember in the West bar August and the rest of July being complete horsedung.

The rest of July will be fairly settled if cool and cloudy at times

August is hard to know but if I look back at Summer 2018 for Sligo it will be Great weather in May June and July with very little rain

Even 1995 had rain in May

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

UK Met's forecast showing a peppering of showers tomorrow across Leinster, western Ireland and parts of the north. Temperatures should be several degrees warmer than today as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBXVbAWMZWA

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Whiplashy wrote: »
    24 here currently on the Tipp/Kilkenny border. Highest it’s been today. Think this heatwave must be coming to an end :( Going away for a few days next week so fingers crossed it picks up again.

Is 24 degrees not enough for you.

I'd take 4 months of 20 degrees and sunny instead of the usual summers we get.

People are acting like it's the end of September already

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

ECM firming up on a breakdown next week. For how long is uncertain but a change is looking likely after Wednesday

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

ECM firming up on a breakdown next week. For how long is uncertain but a change is looking likely after Wednesday

FI is all over the place, tough to try call beyond it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

Do you mean it forecasts bad weather after Wed or just back to dry with normal temps?

I've seen enough, I know what the ECM 12z chart at +240 hrs is going to be. It's going to be the high retrogressing to the Atlantic and up to Greenland with the low parking to the east bringing down a northerly. How many times have we seen this so far this Summer in FI?

Even regardless of what I've been saying, I'm starting to lose hope myself............

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Gonzo wrote: »
    UK Met's forecast showing a peppering of showers tomorrow across Leinster, western Ireland and parts of the north. Temperatures should be several degrees warmer than today as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBXVbAWMZWA

Well, I am off island and heading north tomorrow and whether it be rain or shine is fine.. West Mayo offshore island

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Oak Park warmest today on 24.9.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Odds on this evening for a Greenland ridge and incoming northerly.
    A change is a coming folks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

Changing to what though?
    And when?!

UsedToWait wrote: »
    Changing to what though?
    And when?!

Summer being over and next weekend onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

Selfishly hoping next Friday remains good as I've an outdoor concert!

Summer being over sounds very final Syrian - surely there's a chance of more good weather, if not this historic weather?

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭United road

Don't know what the panic is about on here.

Temperatures will be mid to high twenties over the weekend and well in to next week. Usual caveats apply in relation to temperature on windward coasts.

There may be some cloud skirting the northwest at times as well.

The dry and very warm weather continuing until Thursday at least and probably longer.

There are varying ideas for a breakdown toward next weekend but that is pie in the sky stuff so it's interesting but I wouldn't take it too seriously yet. The only model with a genuine breakdown is the GFS but that is out in cuckoo land.

Enjoy what's here instead of worrying what is 10 days out. Otherwise you miss the experience.

This was an hour or so ago?
    Heck of a reliable poster is Kermit, and as i want this weather to stick around, im going to concentrate on the positives of this post!!

Too early to take breakdown talk to seriously. Yes its eventually going to happen, but not set in stone yet!!
    Sryan, cmon, chin up!
    Dont lose hope, you said it yourself, how many times we seen this breakdown in FI this summer!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭sicknotexi

It will be mid July, surely it could pick up again in August?, even if it is not to the extent of the last 2 weeks. Why do you say summer is over?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

sicknotexi wrote: »
    It will be mid July, surely it could pick up again in August?, even if it is not to the extent of the last 2 weeks. Why do you say summer is over?

There seems to be a bit of a conflict between those who are forecasting little or no change in the weather for the foreseeable future and those who are predicting a fairly dramatic change to unsettled cool conditions in a week to 10 days from now. Who will be right? Only time will tell.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 145 ✭✭BliainanAir

Somehow I get the feeling that if it was January and we were in the middle of a cold, snowy spell you wouldn't be so confident about milder weather coming in FI :)

There's a lot of wishfull weather forecasting on the thread.

It has the feel of a summer where cooler interludes will be brief, like a fortnight ago. And any significant rainfall will fall in the north and west. Pressure remaining that little bit too high in the south and east.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

There seems to be a bit of a conflict between those who are forecasting little or no change in the weather for the foreseeable future and those who are predicting a fairly dramatic change in a week to 10 days from now, Who will be right? Only time will tell.

Dunno. He believes August will be wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

Someone asked me last week when I thought this weather would be over ... I said July 15th.

Just think that is a sensible date to say. But I think theres still some good weather left in the Summer yet.

No sign of it going down the tubes and much more dry than wet days IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

pauldry wrote: »
    Someone asked me last week when I thought this weather would be over ... I said July 15th.

Oh no that's St Swithins Day - it will rain for 40 days and nights if it rains on that day....!

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Time will tell whether what the ECM is showing is only an interruption or the end of the long fine spell.
    Look how summer '95 "ended" in mid July! ;)

Rrea00119950714.gif

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Oh no that's St Swithins Day - it will rain for 40 days and nights if it rains on that day....!

That`s just a piseog. No basis to it.

Mid-July 1995 was thundery showers, ECM is just a cool dampfest. If the air is coming off the north Atlantic, it will get very cool over time as cold fronts push southwards.

Plus that Kermit comment was before the ECM 12z and it's out of date.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Mid-July 1995 was thundery showers, ECM is just a cool dampfest.

Plus that Kermit comment was before the ECM 12z and it's out of date.

The 12Z ECM shows the 15th with 20-24 degrees Edit: sorry, 18-20 or a little more and shag all rain.

--

I think most of us can agree that an interlude of a week's Atlantic influence would be welcome at this stage in the sense of the bigger picture (i.e. not just from the weather enthusiast's point of view).

30° and bone dry is fantastic but the downsides catch up on us. Sure it's great to break records, bask in sunshine - but the majority of us also have to work, wash, bathe, clean cars, water gardens, feed animals and not feel like we're melting every day.

Like everything, good in moderation. Weather extremes as a weather buff are hugely interesting and seem to make us throw our toys disproportionately out of the pram. We can't and won't change things by arguing about it or getting pessimistic.

As for the models - yeah, trending downwards. Towards a temperate second half of the month which most of us would have bitten an arm off for a few weeks ago.

#justgowithit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement