Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turning very warm/hot, heatwave conditions likely; Sunday 24th -->

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Primetime doing a segment about the weather conditions on RTE at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

sdanseo wrote: »
    The 12Z ECM shows the 15th with 20-24 degrees and shag all rain.

:confused:

The air is coming from a long way up north and off a cold north Atlantic. The high is retrogressing. Pressure is also relatively high over the Mediterranean. Upper air temps of 5c with 24c?

fnxHsPK.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

sryanbruen wrote: »
    :confused:

The air is coming from a long way up north and off a cold north Atlantic. The high is retrogressing. Pressure is also relatively high over the Mediterranean. Upper air temps of 5c with 24c?

18-20 on this (at 1pm), and ECM has been underdoing temps by a degree or two all along?

9b47c27004a640ce176a902a69dada6f.png

18-20 on this (at 1pm), and ECM has been underdoing temps by a degree or two all along?

Isn't that India Standard Time on the chart? 1pm in IST is 7:30am for us and that would be before the cold front was to sink southwards. Those are the kinds of temperatures I would expect though continue to drop as the cold front clears with maxima from 14-18c at best.

EDIT: OOPS.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Isn't that India Standard Time on the chart? 1pm in IST is 7:30am for us and that would be before the cold front was to sink southwards.

Irish Standard Time

Even the bottom of this page has it

All times are IST. The time now is 22:02.

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Advertisement

Irish Standard Time

You learn something new everyday, thanks.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

the charts showing a breakdown to Atlantic muck is still in FI, the charts could display something much more positive tomorrow or over the weekend.

We have a very warm weekend to look forward to. I think it's important we all enjoy the warm, sunny conditions of the weekend before getting worked up thinking about a breakdown that's still possibly one week away.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

I wouldn't be getting too carried away with the finer details of charts 10 days away. Its called fantasy island for a reason. Lets see what the ECM 0Z shows in the morning and take it from there.

Isn't that India Standard Time on the chart? 1pm in IST is 7:30am for us and that would be before the cold front was to sink southwards. Those are the kinds of temperatures I would expect though continue to drop as the cold front clears with maxima from 14-18c at best.

Irish Summer Time :)

Not disagreeing with your interpreation of the trend. I'm just choosing not to read into a trend that begins 8 or 9 days away, deep in FI, any more than we would if the situation were a developing high as opposed to a developing apocalypse. When we look at the FI threads in anticipation of something good, we always caveat it, just saying the same applies here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Irish Summer Time :)

Nope Irish STANDARD Time

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_in_Ireland

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Advertisement

Every day's a school day!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

We have had some special sunsets this summer but I think a combination of haze and cirrus will make this evening's extra special. Lets wait and see.

One thing I have not observed during this heatwave is haze, at least at lower levels. Vis has been remarkable throughout.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Portweather

Hi all, new to weather forums! I enjoy reading all the analysis and decided to join in!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,757 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Hi all, new to weather forums! I enjoy reading all the analysis and decided to join in!

You really want to join this nut house?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Portweather

You really want to join this nut house?
    Yes Kermit I need a bit of instability in my life! Who doesn’t love a bit of the highs and lows of weather forecasting! (Excuse the puns)

Grab a chair, some popcorn, an emergency rain poncho and some factor 50 - and buckle up. :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Decent enough day here near Tralee. After a drizzly start cloud opened up to good sunny spells getting up to 22.3C

Oakpark 24.9C

txint_uk_rrp5.png

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cyclops999

Sky over Athlone pristine unfortunately I don’t know how to post pictures

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭sharper

First of all you need to find a gang and hang out with them for protection. You'll find the heat lovers working out in the main yard after lunch, the cold lovers lounging in the shade. When the riot breaks out you need to make sure people have your back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    One thing I have not observed during this heatwave is haze, at least at lower levels. Vis has been remarkable throughout.

Most days have been super clear here too, but this evening there was quite a thick haze at lower levels. May have been smoke. Here's a pic looking over SW Dublin suburbs this evening.

ePgrZSO.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,400 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Now there's the right way to spend your evening

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

My weather station recorded 25.4C today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Coolish evenìng tonight in Dublin for the first time in about 3 weeks I wore a jumper and was glad of it. Off on my holliers on Saturday so I don't mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭spookwoman

First night in a while there is a bit of dew on the cars in Waterford

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Speak Now

spookwoman wrote: »
    First night in a while there is a bit of dew on the cars in Waterford

High humidity. Still a mild 15/16 degrees. Dew pt only 1 less.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

17c this morning one of our cooler ones... to be honest it’s great to get all the windows open and air out the house before the hotter mid 20s return later in the day...dog can get a longer walk as well.
    Kildare/Laois border

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Oakpark 24.9C

Heatwave over then....technically....if that was the max. yesterday?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Re the dew point - is this the temperature the air must fall to to form moisture? Why such fluctuations in the dew point and why is it so important?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

No temps for ye seems the hottest morning in a few days here in cork

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Re the dew point - is this the temperature the air must fall to to form moisture? Why such fluctuations in the dew point and why is it so important?

Thanks

Yes, that's what it is. It fluctuates during the day as moisture from, say, the ground, is evaporated into the air and lifted high up in thermals. You generally see it rise again overnight as the thermals stop and the ground cools again. However, dewpoint is a tricky thing to accurately measure, and is actually a calculated value from the dry- and wet-bulb temperatures.

It's significant in that it can greatly change how we feel temperature. Higher dewpoints restrict cooling due to sweating, making us feel more uncomfortable.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement