Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turning very warm/hot, heatwave conditions likely; Sunday 24th -->

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭monty_python

Very light Rain in South beara ðŸ‘ðŸ‘ðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Yes, that's what it is. It fluctuates during the day as moisture from, say, the ground, is evaporated into the air and lifted high up in thermals. You generally see it rise again overnight as the thermals stop and the ground cools again. However, dewpoint is a tricky thing to accurately measure, and is actually a calculated value from the dry- and wet-bulb temperatures.

It's significant in that it can greatly change how we feel temperature. Higher dewpoints restrict cooling due to sweating, making us feel more uncomfortable.

I've been interested in this idea of Apparent Temperature, and how it relates to air temperature and dew point temps:

Kel64yd.png

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

cloudy and mild morning with a temperature of 18C here at Dunshaughlin. A warm weekend ahead for most but certainly more cloud around than what we've been used to recently.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Heatwave over then....technically....if that was the max. yesterday?
    It was.... missed out on a 12th consecutive day by 0.1c :( ... Moore Park missed out on an 11th day by 0.5c.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

06z rolling out and the flip flopping continues LOL!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

Villain wrote: »
    06z rolling out and the flip flopping continues LOL!

Can you decode it for us mere mortals Villain?

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭MrDerp

MJohnston wrote: »
    I've been interested in this idea of Apparent Temperature, and how it relates to air temperature and dew point temps:

Lots of North American weather services include it in forecasts.

I was in Canada for a summer years ago and they included a 'Humidex' temperature which I've seen referred to else where as 'RealFeel'. I think it's a useful measure for people making decisions about going for a run, walking the dog, delaying a trip to the beach etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Practically Baltic in Waterford! Quite cloudy as well :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

MrDerp wrote: »
    Lots of North American weather services include it in forecasts.

I was in Canada for a summer years ago and they included a 'Humidex' temperature which I've seen referred to else where as 'RealFeel'. I think it's a useful measure for people making decisions about going for a run, walking the dog, delaying a trip to the beach etc.

Yeah, Netweather uses "Feels Like", as does Yr.no, though I don't know if they actually use the standard Apparent Weather formula for that one - "RealFeel" is actually an Accuweather registered trademark for example, which makes me think they're making up their own formula for that one.

For me, Apparent Weather is a more useful measurement than air temp for describing what the human experience of the weather is going to be. Unless you're a pro at reading all the various statistics and calculating your own version of it of course, but most people need that at a glance.

UsedToWait wrote: »
    Can you decode it for us mere mortals Villain?

Ya, the models haven’t a clue beyond next Friday :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

First day in nearly 3 weeks with no sun this late in the day...not hopeful of seeing any sun today. Struggling to get above 20c and it looks like it’s going to rain , it might not but I keep expecting to look out the window to see the rain has started..

The Eagle is in flying form!!

Quoted in https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/heatwave/warm-spell-isnt-going-anywhere-as-temperatures-to-reach-29c-37086648.html
    “We have a 10-day horizon where we can predict what the weather will be like, but saying that we’re still able to tell when a change is on its way. We haven’t seen any indication that temperatures are going to drop so it’s unlikely that we’ll see much rain for the rest of July.”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Villain wrote: »
    Ya, the models haven’t a clue beyond next Friday :D

i can imagine that the models have a mathematical bias towards getting things back to 'average' for this time of year. So, any long term outlook that isn't on par with the average will always cause a bit of a struggle for them in the 10day range. - just my 2c there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Don't know where John is getting that info from, the outlook is really firming up on the change for second half of July. I was not making up crap last night just to be pessimistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Don't know where John is getting that info from, the outlook is really firming up on the change for second half of July. I was not making up crap last night just to be pessimistic.
    Could be managing the message? Compliance with the water restrictions may be impacted if he came out with "looks like rain in a week or so", and it's still FI so might not verify, as seems to have happened a couple of times in this spell?

Macy0161 wrote: »
    it's still FI so might not verify, as seems to have happened a couple of times in this spell?

That was when not all models were in agreement of a change, now they are even if it is FI.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

They all seem to be saying the same thing that no changes for the remainder of the month...surely they have to be looking at the same charts as you guys here.
    Going by by all accounts a change is happening towards the end of next week...that’s 8 days away..why then say definitely no change or rain for the 10 days..
    I know people making plans for outdoor events based on the weather forecasts from met eireann ..why not tell people that a slight change on the way..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭secman

Practically Baltic in Waterford! Quite cloudy as well :(

Tendency to exaggerate ? Baltic :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Definitely more humid the last couple of days. It makes a big difference to the comfort level.
    I see in Quebec in Canada they are really struggling at the moment as the temperature is about 34c but the humidity is so high that the real feel is about 40c.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

secman wrote: »
    Tendency to exaggerate ? Baltic :):)

Well it's 17 in Tallinn :) Was and is cooler than recent days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

19.1C here in Glasnevin and has been completely cloudy for the last couple of hours. RH is 77%.

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Could be managing the message? Compliance with the water restrictions may be impacted if he came out with "looks like rain in a week or so", and it's still FI so might not verify, as seems to have happened a couple of times in this spell?

Well that and even if a breakdown comes as shown in FI, rainfall amounts would be very little compared to what is needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Just talking about yeaterday's weather into perspective. Compared to recent weather Thursday the 5th July was a mediocre day. In a normal Irish summer it would be a good day and in a poor summer a great day. Temperatures from the high teens towards the mid 20s. In most areas max temperatures were only 2-3 degrees above normal. We were getting accustomed to max temperatures in excess of 10 degrees above normal in places over the last week.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

second cloudy day in a row here, after very little sun here yesterday, today is looking even more gloomy than yesterday. The cloud is meant to weaken through the day allowing some glimpses of hazy sun in the afternoon and evening.

The heatwave definitely ended yesterday for Ireland with temperatures close to average since yesterday. A few warm mid 20s days ahead which are still good by Irish standards.

BBC's forecast for Ireland is caught up with yesterday's charts and showing cool and damp/drizzly days starting from next weekend into the following week.

Of course that could still change, the BBC were wrong about a breakdown over a week ago. We've had a very good run with this warm spell which will be almost 3 weeks long by next Friday. A breakdown is inevitable, it's only a matter of how soon do we get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,829 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Gonzo wrote: »
    second cloudy day in a row here, after very little sun here yesterday, today is looking even more gloomy than yesterday. The cloud is meant to weaken through the day allowing some glimpses of hazy sun in the afternoon and evening.

The heatwave definitely ended yesterday for Ireland with temperatures close to average since yesterday. A few warm mid 20s days ahead which are still good by Irish standards.

BBC's forecast for Ireland is caught up with yesterday's charts and showing cool and damp/drizzly days starting from next weekend into the following week.

Of course that could still change, the BBC were wrong about a breakdown over a week ago. We've had a very good run with this warm spell which will be almost 3 weeks long by next Friday. A breakdown is inevitable, it's only a matter of how soon do we get it.

I'm treating it and planning for the dry conditions or rain at levels to not matter for the next 8 weeks.

It might not be scorching but it looks like staying warm and dry for a long time yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

Few drops of rain in Ashbourne. Radar shows some patches developing over the Greater Dublin region.

Few drops of rain in Ashbourne. Radar shows some patches developing over the Greater Dublin region.

UK Met has a cloudy day with some showers developing for the Leinster region today. They are still showing a lot of cloud for Leinster tomorrow as well, but it should be sunnier than today.

It's quite gloomy here at Dunshaughlin too, full slate grey cloud, thought it was going to drizzle earlier but so far it's remaining dry thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

That was when not all models were in agreement of a change, now they are even if it is FI.

Personly I see a shift away from extreme heat ,I don't think there will be a drastic break down.but a graduall return to average summer weather still warm and dry what would normally though of as good summer weather in Ireland
    The south and east will keep below average rainfall while the north and west will have average too slightly above.
    I reckon we will just have enough high pressure hanging around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Was everyone too worried so much about a break from the sun next week that they forgot about this weekend? Cloudy now with sunny spells for the foreseeable according to MT.

Gutted.

• Advertisement

Sun is trying to shine through the clouds in Dublin 13 but just not getting there quite yet.

Playa del Arklow living up to its name meanwhile.

https://twitter.com/Arklowweather/status/1015201349573730305

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement