Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turning very warm/hot, heatwave conditions likely; Sunday 24th -->

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,425 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Drizzling in cork city :o

EDIT: Heavy rain now

Drizzle in clare near Ennis. Hopefully we'll get a heavy shower and warm dry weather again tomorrow

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Little to no indication of significant rainfall for the next 8 days + on GFS. High temps this weekend (as expected). More manageable temps then onwards til Sunday week of low to mid 20's nationwide. Chance of showers always on the radar, less so over the next 4 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Raindrops in Limerick.

Wasn't a great day. About 19c and cloudy

• Registered Users Posts: 11,800 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

2pm - south county sligo - a pretty muggy , overcast and 25.0'c outside

6pm - south county sligo - cooler , still overcast (overcast nearly all day) temp 23.3'c outside 58% humidity.

Thats what my willy reports anyway :)

455143.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,800 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

massive big black cloud overhead at the moment for us here in Sligo at 7.10pm:

455146.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Detail firming up this evening on a breakdown of sorts by next weekend...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

Just driving through Laois on the way to Cork (for a wedding tomorrow). Very overcast and couple of raindrops on the windscreen. Nothing heavy.

Temperature gauge is reading 22 degrees at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

This was an hour or so ago?
    Heck of a reliable poster is Kermit, and as i want this weather to stick around, im going to concentrate on the positives of this post!!

Too early to take breakdown talk to seriously. Yes its eventually going to happen, but not set in stone yet!!
    Sryan, cmon, chin up!
    Dont lose hope, you said it yourself, how many times we seen this breakdown in FI this summer!!

24 hours later, I have not changed my mind on losing hope.

Latest CFSv2 for 20th-26th July rounds it off.

FsRXJGB.gif

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Very weak fronts next weekend, not entirely confident of a breakdown BY next weekend, looking likely after the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

hinault wrote: »
    Just driving through Laois on the way to Cork (for a wedding tomorrow). Very overcast and couple of raindrops on the windscreen. Nothing heavy.

Temperature gauge is reading 22 degrees at the moment.

The cloud is starting go & becoming a lot more broken over Cork City at the moment. Turning into a very pleasant late evening now, after a very overcast day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Very sunny in cork city now. Beautiful, warm evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Another glorious summer's evening, the reliable time frame looking lovely. Any breakdown is in FI and even most of those options are tame enough. Long live summer 18.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

A few bright spells here today and feeling humid, mainly overcast. Most other summers and you be delighted to get a day like this. Looks like overcast is how its going to be here for the forseeable future. Sligo.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

With regards to next weekend and beyond I'm just going with my gut feeling. It's exceptional to go much more than 1 week of nationwide warm temperatures and dryness in this country, but there has been nearly 3 weeks of it.

The form horse in this country is always the Atlantic, it's win's the race almost every time. It effects us more than any other nation in Europe. IF the current run of warm and settled conditions continue for another few weeks that would be almost a once in a lifetime event.

I'm backing the subtle lowering of temperatures and increasing cloud day by day from Monday and shower activity later next week to merge into normal Irish weather and Atlantic influenced conditions by next Sunday.

We have a weekend of mostly warm, dry and settled conditions, best to make plans and enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭esposito

Wouldn’t it be great if the Atlantic/jet came back for a few days only for it to f*** off again. I think thats’s the most frustrating thing for me. It just hangs around like a bad smell that just won’t go away.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

Gonzo wrote: »
    With regards to next weekend and beyond I'm just going with my gut feeling. It's exceptional to go much more than 1 week of nationwide warm temperatures and dryness in this country, but there has been nearly 3 weeks of it.

The form horse in this country is always the Atlantic, it's win's the race almost every time. It effects us more than any other nation in Europe. IF the current run of warm and settled conditions continue for another few weeks that would be almost a once in a lifetime event.

I'm backing the subtle lowering of temperatures and increasing cloud day by day from Monday and shower activity later next week to merge into normal Irish weather and Atlantic influenced conditions by next Sunday.

We have a weekend of mostly warm, dry and settled conditions, best to make plans and enjoy it.

This is logical. The evidence as you say shows that the west/south west direction of our weather incoming from the Atlantic Ocean prevails usually.

20 degrees celsius is still a pretty good temperature by Irish summer heat standards.

Would not be talking 20c if the air is coming off the cold North Atlantic, that's the thing. I'm talking 14-18c at best. That's the point people are missing here that I'm saying. The North Atlantic is unusually cool since February due to how the Atlantic Circulation has gone its way courtesy of the SSW event. July 2015 is a recent example of what I'm talking about. Summer would turn to utter trash.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Some of our max temps today (°C):
    25.3 Oak Park, Carlow

A pity about yesterday's 24.9C. Just for record breaking's sake they should have a mobile carpark ready for moments like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Would not be talking 20c if the air is coming off the cold North Atlantic, that's the thing. I'm talking 14-18c at best. That's the point people are missing here that I'm saying. The North Atlantic is unusually cool since February due to how the Atlantic Circulation has gone its way courtesy of the SSW event. July 2015 is a recent example of what I'm talking about. Summer would turn to utter trash.
    Depressing reading this...we will all be lighting the fire if the temps drop to 14 ..to go from 25+ to that will be a shock

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

I don't know if this has been posted yet, but Met Éireann have a nice "preliminary report" about this warm spell/heatwave up on their site now.

https://www.met.ie/recent-warm-weather-report-up-to-6th-july-2018

Rougies wrote: »
    I don't know if this has been posted yet, but Met Éireann have a nice "preliminary report" about this warm spell/heatwave up on their site now.

Thanks, I didn't come across that. It contains some of the information of that deleted PDF I said on the warm weather of mid-June 2014 so I'm glad they reshared some of the info from that into here. Good preliminary report, however I'm still waiting on the Beast from the East major weather event PDF.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Rougies wrote: »

Interesting. I notice that they mention heatwave conditions in Kilkenny last year, so they must be still recording temps at this legendary station, even if they are not making the data public?

New Moon

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Interesting. I notice that they mention heatwave conditions in Kilkenny last year, so they must be still recording temps at this legendary station, even if they are not making the data public?

I found that suspicious. Oak Park had 5 consecutive days of 25c+ in June 2017 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Just hoping to wake up some morning and all models are showing a resurgence of the good weather and everyone here agrees with each other ...as you said enjoy the few days we have left. **** all we can do about anyway.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

IdyjaT4.png

GVQdmdC.png

AROME showing getting up to 28C around Kilkenny / Carlow, 4C more then the ECM is showing. Perhaps 26C or close to 27C ?

aromehd-41-28-0_kch7.png

3814_ogr2.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

please god it comes to fruition to many false dawns

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

Dickie10 wrote: »
    please god it comes to fruition to many false dawns

Every summer for the last decade ?
    We
    Don’t
    Deserve
    This
    Weather

On par with Thursday's sunshine totals (with the exception of Cork which was duller on Friday). Didn't give an update today on the sunshine totals because the real sunny spell is now over.

https://twitter.com/MetEireann/status/1015361545545703425

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,653 ✭✭✭giveitholly

km79 wrote: »
    Every summer for the last decade ?
    We
    Don’t
    Deserve
    This
    Weather

Some people's lively hoods depends on getting some rain so you can hardly blame them

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement