Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turning very warm/hot, heatwave conditions likely; Sunday 24th -->

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

Heard Evelyn Cusack mention last night on prime time that 76 was a more extreme drought due to 74 and 75 been very dry years. Not sure if anyone on this forum can remember what it was like or did the country face even more extreme drought conditions than we have now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Some people's lively hoods depends on getting some rain so you can hardly blame them

And some people's depend on good weather. Weather will do want it wants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

mg1982 wrote: »
    Heard Evelyn Cusack mention last night on prime time that 76 was a more extreme drought due to 74 and 75 been very dry years. Not sure if anyone on this forum can remember what it was like or did the country face even more extreme drought conditions than we have now.

The biggest difference in 1976 was the water infrastructure was not as stretched. There's been basically no additional reservoirs built in the Dublin area since then and the greater Dublin Area population in that era was about 600,000 vs about twice that now. The supply is barely meeting the demand in normal times at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,757 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

UKMO this morning shows how we are struggling to break down the continental influence from the north Atlantic in to next weekend.

UKMOPEU00_144_1.png

It's not through even at that stage and may in the end not even make it which would continue the drier and warmer than average period.

Beautiful morning. Highs of 26 or 27c today.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭OldRio

Speak Now wrote: »
    And some people's depend on good weather. Weather will do want it wants.

Well we all know that. The drought conditions are serious in parts of the country. I suppose the consumer will only cop on when they are paying more for their weekly shop and 'Why?' will be the question.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

AROME more in line with the ECM now. Cloud looks a feature today.

fqmhxUX.png

HWDPex3.png

6600_bbc1.png

hHYT9dW.png

jjLKSUu.png

tempresult_vpr1.gif

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Humidity higher than of late making it feel a bit warmer today.

nmm_uk1-19-16-4_qsq6.png

nmm_uk1-47-18-4_nae5.png

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Could be one of the hotter days of this spell in Dublin/in the east. Clear blue skies in Dublin 16 with a light W to NW breeze. Already 20.0c.

Breaking up a bit here now near Tralee, 19.3C

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

OldRio wrote: »
    Well we all know that. The drought conditions are serious in parts of the country. I suppose the consumer will only cop on when they are paying more for their weekly shop and 'Why?' will be the question.

Look, I love an oul pork chop and I love an oul spud but every time mother nature farts, all we hear is "oh what about the farmers"

Maybe it's time they updated their processes to be inline with countries that have much more extreme weather patterns than us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

The North West and far south west are blanketed in cloud today. The rest of the country looks to be in for a great day.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,400 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

T'is a beautiful day

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Look, I love an oul pork chop and I love an oul spud but every time mother nature farts, all we hear is "oh what about the farmers"

Maybe it's time they updated their processes to be inline with countries that have much more extreme weather patterns than us.

And they can do this at no cost??
    I'm not a farmer, but I live amongst them and I see and hear what they have to go through, particularly with the very unpredictable weather we have been getting the last couple of decades.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Yep. Feels like only a few weeks ago they were in uproar over too much rain, before that twas too much frost, all while the fodder crisis was on radio an TV all day everyday.

Not denying that they're having a tough time by the way, just annoyed it's like some of them try to guilt trip us and don't want us enjoying or hoping for good weather, as if it makes a difference

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

This is getting really ridiculous. Can we be nice to each other for a change?

Cloud is building here in Dublin 13 by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

red sean wrote: »
    And they can do this at no cost??
    I'm not a farmer, but I live amongst them and I see and hear what they have to go through, particularly with the very unpredictable weather we have been getting the last couple of decades.

Someone says they'd love a bit more sunshine and immediately you have a farmer on commenting that there livleyhoods depend on rain.

It's been dry for near two months now. That is a fairly rare event in Ireland. Can you not see how that might have implications for an industry dependent on the land? Nobody is trying to guilt trip you.

lawred2 wrote: »
    Can you not see how that might have implications for an industry dependent on the land?

That gives a reason that they can't have an opinion, how?

sryanbruen wrote: »
    That gives a reason that they can't have an opinion, how?

?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

lawred2 wrote: »
    Guilt tripping?

Leave it out

Someone says they'd love a bit more sunshine and immediately you have a farmer on commenting that there livleyhoods depend on rain.

It can be 25 degrees from mon to fri and lash rain Sat and Sun. Need a mix to keep grass and crops growing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭DX85

This post has been deleted.

Point proven.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Yep. Feels like only a few weeks ago they were in uproar over too much rain, before that twas too much frost, all while the fodder crisis was on radio an TV all day everyday.

Not denying that they're having a tough time by the way, just annoyed it's like some of them try to guilt trip us and don't want us enjoying or hoping for good weather, as if it makes a difference

And who was it who dug a lot of the country out from the snow??? Many farmers spent days working on the roads for NO financial gain and brunt the costs themselves even after having a very prolonged hard winter just before.

Not too many people would do that in this country I can tell ya.

He weren't too afraid to listen to us then. Good deeds long forgotten.

You need knowledge to give an opinion. That would be like me licking my finger and sticking it in the air and taking a stab at what you do so well.

Not really, it's about a person's preference which is not based on fact or knowledge as the dictionary definition states.

Kh5ZupY.png

I can't say that I've not argued with people's opinions before and that they're wrong. I most certainly have. I've learned from my stupid mistakes. Now I respect all opinions.

Pesky cloud almost covering all of my area now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Right so farmers should spend 100s of thousands on an irrgation system that would be used maybe 40 days every 40 years? Get your head out of your arse. Yearly profit on most farms is minimal. Between the prolonged winter of 17/18 and running straight into a drought it will turn two years in a row when there was little or no profit out of farming. Then a genius like you stick your head above the cover and have your say. Go over and read some of the forums in F&F and see how many lads and lassies are at breaking point with the sh1t we have endured for the last 12 months. Come back them with a bit of knowledge instead if firing out ignorant comments.
    I think you post is a bit harsh, I have worked as a farm hand in the past for many famers in the past,famers have spent the same amounts draining land diverting streams making the land dryer and in most cases not doing it correctly, that is one of the main reason's famers are finding it hard with water,its not the lack of it ,its the actions taken in the past to make farmland more profitable

• Registered Users Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

ZX7R wrote: »
    I think you post is a bit harsh, I have worked as a farm hand in the past for many famers in the past,famers have spent the same amounts draining land diverting streams making the land dryer and in most cases not doing it correctly, that is one of the main reason's famers are finding it hard with water,its not the lack of it ,its the actions taken in the past to make farmland more profitable
    Yes but the issue in Ireland for 40 years before this was trying to keep the land dry as we got plenty of rain. Now in a freak year the opposite is the case. So you can hardly complain about farmers not being setup for a situation that may not appear again for decades when the normal situation is excess water.

When was the last time you seen 9 weeks of no rain with an average temp of 25 degs every day?

This has escalated. My point is mother nature isn't on boards so complaining here isn't going to make it rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

A lovely refreshing day . A shower early today made a great difference to air quality and the fresh breeze now is a delight. Clouds with occasional sun

West Mayo offshore island

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I understand some need rain, I like sun and heat. I will continue to enjoy sun and heat while it's here. Many here are like me.

Nothing personal, I cannot change the weather. You cannot change the weather. That's pretty much as far as it goes. You cannot change this, and no amount of debating it will.

No point having a big speech, that's the crux of the issue. It cannot be changed. No need for anger and conflict.

(Also can I say this "FARMERS DUG YOU OUT FROM SNOW" is demeaning and moot. Again, nobody is making it not rain. I have to say guilt trip is an adapt word for that sort of statement. Childish works too.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Reggie. wrote: »
    Yes but the issue in Ireland for 40 years before this was trying to keep the land dry as we got plenty of rain. Now in a freak year the opposite is the case. So you can hardly complain about farmers not being setup for a situation that may not appear again for decades when the normal situation is excess water.

When was the last time you seen 9 weeks of no rain with an average temp of 25 degs every day?
    I know what you're saying Reggie ,the fact is impact statement were ignored while drainage and diverting streams and in some cases piping streams under ground access points were not put in to save money because people said the same thing a long drought won't happen in my life time.
    I know young famers that are exavating buried streams and diverting streams back to original courses.
    If it was done right in the first place things might not be so bad now

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement