Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turning very warm/hot, heatwave conditions likely; Sunday 24th -->

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

ZX7R wrote: »
    I know what you're saying Reggie ,the fact is impact statement were ignored while drainage and diverting streams and in some cases piping streams under ground access points were not put in to save money because people said the same thing a long drought won't happen in my life time.
    I know young famers that are exavating buried streams and diverting streams back to original courses.
    If it was done right in the first place things might not be so bad now

Well don't forget in some cases it was the EPA are actively trying to ban farmers from using streams as a water source for years for cattle. So farmers weren't doing it off thier own backs in many cases

• Registered Users Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

JCX BXC wrote: »
    I understand some need rain, I like sun and heat. I will continue to enjoy sun and heat while it's here. Many here are like me.

Nothing personal, I cannot change the weather. You cannot change the weather. That's pretty much as far as it goes. You cannot change this, and no amount of debating it will.

No point having a big speech, that's the crux of the issue. It cannot be changed. No need for anger and conflict.

(Also can I say this "FARMERS DUG YOU OUT FROM SNOW" is demeaning and moot. Again, nobody is making it not rain. I have to say guilt trip is an adapt word for that sort of statement. Childish works too.)

Hardly a childish statement more factual. A childish statement would be more along the lines that farmers should have irrigation schemes that cost 1000s in place already for the siruation this year that no one seen coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Reggie. wrote: »
    Well don't forget in some cases it was the EPA are actively trying to ban farmers from using streams as a water source for years for cattle. So farmers weren't doing it off thier own backs in many cases

Fair point hopefully everyone will learn from this spell of weatherðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 13,829 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

I think you post is a bit harsh, I have worked as a farm hand in the past for many famers in the past,famers have spent the same amounts draining land diverting streams making the land dryer and in most cases not doing it correctly, that is one of the main reason's famers are finding it hard with water,its not the lack of it ,its the actions taken in the past to make farmland more profitable

That is a unusual post, I have fields that have never had a drain put in them, not in my lifetime or my Father's anway and they have dried up rock solid.

I could hardly walk across it the start of May and it is like rock now.

This Summer has seen quicker drying than others, and it is land where there are precious few streams near by, where people have no idea what a drain is that are being hit.

I have a neighbour with 300 acres and he has one dyke in his entire farm and a 3 foot stream at the far end.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Clear skies and 23c in Waterford City. Nice breeze there too making it feel very pleasant

www.waterfordcityweather.com

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Mod Note: Need to stay on topic . Less of the uncivil posts. Inappropriate posts were removed. If you have a problem with a post report it, no backseat modding.

Warning issued to mickmackey1 for inappropriate post.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

22.9C here near Tralee, broken cloud on and off with good enough amounts of sunshine.

Nice breeze from a SSW direction now

Rh 67%

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 145 ✭✭BliainanAir

'Our children live in the city and they rest upon our shoulders, they never want the rain to fall or the weather to get colder' - Nanci Griffith 'Trouble in the Fields'.

I'd hate to see the warm fine weather end and be replaced by cold damp north westerlies. But i'm very aware that we could all end up suffering from this drought.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Danzy wrote: »
    That is a unusual post, I have fields that have never had a drain put in them, not in my lifetime or my Father's anway and they have dried up rock solid.

I could hardly walk across it the start of May and it is like rock now.

This Summer has seen quicker drying than others, and it is land where there are precious few streams near by, where people have no idea what a drain is that are being hit.

I have a neighbour with 300 acres and he has one dyke in his entire farm and a 3 foot stream at the far end.

Unusual maybe to you because you didn't need to do drainage, good that you have good land,what's to say drainage or other works weren't carried out further up stream and with the drought conditions know and low rain fall over the last few months are making improper draineage worse and less stream water for you

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

My wife is from down the country, in the house beside her parents place, there is a field which in all the years I've travelled there is permanently waterlogged.

It was even wet up to this week. I'm told this weekend that it is fully dried out however. And that is one very unscientific measure of how warm the weather is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭sjb25

JCX BXC wrote: »
    I cannot change the weather. You cannot change the weather. That's pretty much as far as it goes. You cannot change this, and no amount of debating it will.

No point having a big speech, that's the crux of the issue. It cannot be changed. No need for anger and conflict.

Don’t you dare come in here talking sense :)

You would swear some people think because some people say I’d like more sun or I’d like more rain that that means things will change Feck sake

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

24c at Casement at 13:00.

30.1c at Surrey the high so far today in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

In fairness, this series of posts about farming came from a reasonable post by Dickie followed by a pretty unreasonable one by km79.

The idea that we don't deserve this weather simply because some who depend on the rain want it to come, is insulting and unnecessary.
    km79 wrote: »
    Dickie10 wrote: »
    please god it comes to fruition to many false dawns

Every summer for the last decade ?
    We
    Don’t
    Deserve
    This
    Weather

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

MJohnston wrote: »
    In fairness, this series of posts about farming came from a reasonable post by Dickie followed by a pretty unreasonable one by km79.

The idea that we don't deserve this weather simply because some who depend on the rain want it to come, is insulting and unnecessary.

“Too many false dawns” after a couple of weeks of good weather in SUMMER
    Hardly even the first week over when there were people looking for a breakdown

It’s summer . The weather is good. Not having rain arrive is not a false dawn .
    As mentioned many times before there are many people who also depend on good weather during the summer months for their livelihoods .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Handy even the first week over when their were people looking for a breakdown

All I'll say is you should probably stop villifying people for wanting some rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

All I'll say is you should probably stop villifying people for wanting some rain.

Stop vilifying people ? Seriously ?
    One post from about a week back but directed at any poster ?
    Vilifying ?

I’m out
    Enjoy the summer folks . God knows we will have enough rain to enjoy for the 10 months of winter ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭sjb25

Coming into the weather forum anytime there is unusual weather

https://youtu.be/YPIsTKpAoE4

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

For some the weather doesn't affect them that much, for others it is affecting their livelihoods, creating a lot of extra cost, stress, affecting production and after an early winter and late Spring, it is not what farmers needed.
    We all have to take the weather that comes as we can't change it, but people can hope and there are people who need hope that a change will happen.
    It is not Spain or a desert we naturally live in, and maybe some would like our country to resemble a burnt crisp since our flora and fauna is not designed for such scenarios.
    Ireland is know for being green because it rains, rain is not bad, too much of any weather type is what is bad. A lack of rain is bad. We are all happy to be getting the sun, but rain is not the enemy.

Unusual maybe to you because you didn't need to do drainage, good that you have good land,what's to say drainage or other works weren't carried out further up stream and with the drought conditions know and low rain fall over the last few months are making improper draineage worse and less stream water for you

Lol, that is my neighbour, across the valley but might as well be in another county.

Hardly even the first week over when there were people looking for a breakdown

As mentioned many times before there are many people who also depend on good weather during the summer months for their livelihoods .

In another few weeks, we'll see water shortages emerging, especially if we have a return to the near thirty and sunny days.

Try running a B&B in Galway with water restricted, or working on a building site.

What we wish for is pointless, it changes nothing but when the weather goes so out of whack it ends up affecting everyone eventually.

We'll get back to the weather, the thread is suffering from heatstroke ;0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭spookwoman

In another few weeks, we'll see water shortages emerging, especially if we have a return to the near thirty and sunny days.

Try running a B&B in Galway with water restricted, or working on a building site.

What we wish for is pointless, it changes nothing but when the weather goes so out of whack it ends up affecting everyone eventually.

I feel this is only the start of it and we should expect more extreme weather in the future. It's time we started to do something like build more reservoirs change farming practices where they are better prepared for these events. Our weather has been hanging for some time and sorry but if people don't change with the times then its their own fault.

RobertKK wrote: »
    For some the weather doesn't affect them that much, for others it is affecting their livelihoods, creating a lot of extra cost, stress, affecting production and after an early winter and late Spring, it is not what farmers needed.
    We all have to take the weather that comes as we can't change it, but people can hope and there are people who need hope that a change will happen.
    It is not Spain or a desert we naturally live in, and maybe some would like our country to resemble a burnt crisp since our flora and fauna is not designed for such scenarios.
    Ireland is know for being green because it rains, rain is not bad, too much of any weather type is what is bad. A lack of rain is bad. We are all happy to be getting the sun, but rain is not the enemy.

The amount of dead birds in the last week is wild, have cleaned off a few drains to allow easier access and left few taps (own well water) dripping in to shallow lids to help a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭scottigael

A bit of sunshine wouldn't go astray, sick of the clouds!

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭United road

Warm day, when the sun comes out you really feel the heat, but a disappointing day so far due to cloud! Sun appears for 20 seconds and goes again!
    Seems like today has far more cloud than originally anticipated here in Stepaside South Dublin!

The amount of dead birds in the last week is wild, have cleaned off a few drains to allow easier access and left few taps (own well water) dripping in to shallow lids to help a few.

Yes I ageee, just back from being out on the bike and can’t tell you how many dead birds are on the roads and verges , they are not moving as fast as a lot of them have no water so they are dying . It makes me sad. This drought will also affect wildlife , frog population etc. I know we can do nothing about it but we generally live in a temperate climate and it’s worrying to see how this kind of hot weather affects us so quickly .

People should be over being burnt to a crisp and daily BBQs by now and just have an awareness of how this affects so many people and businesses and will reduce water supplies and increase food prices this Autumn. If we have to like this weather (as many think) then we will also have to understand and not complain about long term water restrictions and food prices going up due to shortages of fresh veg, spuds, milk (cows yield less milk in drought).

As a previous poster said many businesses depends on good weather .....but there’s a difference between good weather and drought.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭highdef

Looking at the latest satellite imagery, it looks like cloud is quickly evaporating in inland south Midland areas from East of Limerick eastwards and North eastwards to Kildare, Wicklow and south Meath. If it continues, we should soon see a big jump in temperatures in these areas. In North Kildare, currently there are just a few sunny spells. Temperature is bang on 25c and with humidity higher than recently, it feels warmer again.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Sunny spells in West Clare and 21.9c. Not a bad day at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Yes I ageee, just back from being out on the bike and can’t tell you how many dead birds are on the roads and verges , they are not moving as fast as a lot of them have no water so they are dying . It makes me sad. This drought will also affect wildlife , frog population etc. I know we can do nothing about it but we generally live in a temperate climate and it’s worrying to see how this kind of hot weather affects us so quickly .

People should be over being burnt to a crisp and daily BBQs by now and just have an awareness of how this affects so many people and businesses and will reduce water supplies and increase food prices this Autumn. If we have to like this weather (as many think) then we will also have to understand and not complain about long term water restrictions and food prices going up due to shortages of fresh veg, spuds, milk (cows yield less milk in drought).

As a previous poster said many businesses depends on good weather .....but there’s a difference between good weather and drought.

Can I not enjoy being burnt to a crisp, having bbqs while also being aware of wildlife being effected? Do you want us to mourn or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Just landed in Tenerife and am very much enjoying a 3rd week of being burnt to a crisp :p

Word from home in Cork City is that it’s cloudy? Anybody confirm?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭United road

People should be over being burnt to a crisp and daily BBQs by now

Why????
    Ridiculous comment!
    We have had a week of it, so we should pack up and pray for rain and look forward to the next fine spell of weather due in 2063!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement