Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turning very warm/hot, heatwave conditions likely; Sunday 24th -->

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

Just landed in Tenerife and am very much enjoying a 3rd week of being burnt to a crisp :p

Word from home in Cork City is that it’s cloudy? Anybody confirm?

Overcast with some blue bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,800 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

South County Sligo: 3.11pm

455198.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

South County Sligo: 3.11pm

455198.jpg

What happened to his fingers and toes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

Is it fair to say we are all urinating on our lawns at night to save the dying grass?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

hinault wrote: »
    My wife is from down the country, in the house beside her parents place, there is a field which in all the years I've travelled there is permanently waterlogged.

It was even wet up to this week. I'm told this weekend that it is fully dried out however. And that is one very unscientific measure of how warm the weather is

Driving through West to North Mayo yesterday , still green and still lying water on some of the bogland.

But the actual rivers are a trickle over stony beds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Just landed in Tenerife and am very much enjoying a 3rd week of being burnt to a crisp :p

Word from home in Cork City is that it’s cloudy? Anybody confirm?

Midleton - clear blue skies and roasting. Clouds can stay in Cork City!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

A lot of cloud has gone from here now. It's 24.8C RH 53%. The high was 25.1C an hour ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭allinthehead

Glorious in The Glen Co. Kerry

28388098647_9bbe5d4ed7_h.jpg20180707_155502 by Richard Sweeney, on Flickr

☀️

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

Midleton - clear blue skies and roasting. Clouds can stay in Cork City!

There seems to be a clearance moving in up the harbour in the last 30-40 minutes or so. I'm not sure if it's cloud burning off, or if it's moving away.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

highdef wrote: »
    Looking at the latest satellite imagery, it looks like cloud is quickly evaporating in inland south Midland areas from East of Limerick eastwards and North eastwards to Kildare, Wicklow and south Meath. If it continues, we should soon see a big jump in temperatures in these areas. In North Kildare, currently there are just a few sunny spells. Temperature is bang on 25c and with humidity higher than recently, it feels warmer again.

It's got bloody roasting in Midlands now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭highdef

Is it fair to say we are all urinating on our lawns at night to save the dying grass?

Not wasting it on the lawns.... Using it on flowers, shrubs, roses, etc. The grass will recover fine by itself.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

after a sunny morning, clouds rolled in before midday. Still not much sun here, mostly cloudy but feeling warm. Currently 23C. Hopefully tomorrow will be a sunnier day.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Gonzo wrote: »
    after a sunny morning, clouds rolled in before midday. Still not much sun here, mostly cloudy but feeling warm. Currently 23C. Hopefully tomorrow will be a sunnier day.

It was cloudless this morning but as you say it clouded over before lunch. As I drove down the M11 all I could see ahead was clear blue sky ahead over my home turf of Wexford.
    Hitting 26c here in Enniscorthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,793 ✭✭✭Comhrá

I drove past Lahinch Golf Club last Tuesday and took these photos.

I thought it ironic that a guy would be holding an umbrella there to keep off the sun, when brollies for rainfall are so much the norm on this particular West of Ireland course.

42475542674_231d293060_c.jpg
    43193620651_676c956c39_c.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Been a great day here near Tralee, warmer than I expected getting up to 24.6C and currently 23.3C

Broken cloud all day decreasing as the day goes on about 3/8 now

I see Oakpark got up to 25.7C, might be the highest of the day ( not official )

temp_uk_ndj1.png

NASA Sat Pic from earlier today

19IkoCV.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Got a prolonged sunny spell which drove the temperature up to 28.1C at 16:38.
    Day 14 of temperatures of 25C or higher in a row.

judeboy101 wrote: »
    What happened to his fingers and toes?

Frostbite in the winter :D

no because that would kill it off even more , ammonia or something ....

Dont peeps whatever you do use your dirty dish water to water the garden/plants/lawn ... had a friend do this thought they was saving the enviroment and it killed near on everything - it must be the chemicals in the detergent / washing up liquid - i wouldnt even use used shower water even just in case the chemicals of the shampoo/body wash gel killed the garden

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

Incorrect, it leads to a dark green leafy sward.

Incorrect, it leads to a dark green leafy sward.

ah right - my dog's pee kill it/turns it yellow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

spookwoman wrote: »
    I feel this is only the start of it and we should expect more extreme weather in the future. It's time we started to do something like build more reservoirs change farming practices where they are better prepared for these events. Our weather has been hanging for some time and sorry but if people don't change with the times then its their own fault.

So on your hunch of 'more extreme weather' (how do we quantify that exactly?) we are to engage in the development of major infrastructure projects such as the building of new reservoirs and change "farming practices"?

Leaving aside issues of 'changing weather' where weather describes local conditions and looking instead to climatic variations - it is certain that we have experienced similar drought type conditions in 1976 1995 etc. So although these conditions are not usual - it would appear that they are within a longer term irish climatic pattern. Imo the ever present issue of water conservation is perhaps best served by conservation measures including a programme of detecting leaking pipes and overall water wastage.

As to the sentiment that "if people don't change with the times then its their own fault" - I would suggest that vagaries of our climate dramatic should not ultimately dictate the type of agricutual activities (which are uniquely suited to our topography soils and normal weather conditions) anymore than the snow event earlier this year should mean for example that all motorists should change their cars to 4WD all terrain vehicles with snow tires and heated engines even where these conditions do not prevail.

Ultimately drought and other unusual climatic events affect all of us - whether this is in the production or purchase of food and other essentials. Doesn't mean we can't enjoy the unusual conditions but at the end of the day every one has to cope as well as possible giving the challenges faced.

local Ocean FM radio guy took this pic of the Garavogue River in Sligo the other day showing how receded the water is ..

36685998_2009407749071889_7172751184258662400_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=0d830520f68312d2c6b0f0f399e3f454&oe=5BA5F395

https://www.facebook.com/oceanfmireland/photos/a.194427187236630.50483.115071508505532/2009407742405223/?type=3&theater

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Over in London at the moment, 34.3C currently, won't break the 36.7C July record, but stifling out!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Dont peeps whatever you do use your dirty dish water to water the garden/plants/lawn ... had a friend do this thought they was saving the enviroment and it killed near on everything - it must be the chemicals in the detergent / washing up liquid - i wouldnt even use used shower water even just in case the chemicals of the shampoo/body wash gel killed the garden

Use washing up liquids etc which are suitable for septic tanks etc such as ecover etc. Wash with Epsom salts - which is in fact very good for your plants. Plenty of alternatives available.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Disappointing day in Limerick again, heavey cloud all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,019 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Very humid in cork today and the cloud is breaking up as the day has gone on. No cold there anyway.

Why????
    Ridiculous comment!
    We have had a week of it, so we should pack up and pray for rain and look forward to the next fine spell of weather due in 2063!!!

Excuse the pun but think u need chill ........ I don’t know where you’re living but it’s been scorching since 16th June where I am - more than 1 week surely :confused::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

I think the heat is getting to some people here. It always amazes me how someone will have a go at someone else for wishing or wanting this type otlf weather or that; as if that's actually.going to make that weather happen. People can wish for anything they want. The weather will do whatever it wants.

Regarding hardship of farmers, etc. Yes, tough times at the moment, but when you get into that business you know that it won't always be drizzling just enough to keep things lush, or mild enough to keep things alive during the winter/spring. Farming in any country is inherently risky. Tourism also. If you want no risk then be a hairdresser. Guaranteed work all year round, whatever the weather. I mean that in the best possible way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 145 ✭✭BliainanAir

ECM keeping dry, warm settled weather going out to 10 days, bar a few showers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭aisling86

Hope the cloud breaks up in mid cork tomorrow, it was lovely and warm all day but the sun never appeared. Very still all day too, zero wind.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement