Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turning very warm/hot, heatwave conditions likely; Sunday 24th -->

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

no because that would kill it off even more , ammonia or something ....

Ah not. Urine is an excellent fertiliser

https://www.quora.com/What-is-a-pee-garden

And the old folk up in the Northern Isles used "nightsoil" on their rhubarb

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭wing52

Just back from the marble arch caves. You could see you're breath in the air , like a frosty day. Beautiful! 25 C all the way back.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I think the heat is getting to some people here. It always amazes me how someone will have a go at someone else for wishing or wanting this type otlf weather or that; as if that's actually.going to make that weather happen. People can wish for anything they want. The weather will do whatever it wants.

Regarding hardship of farmers, etc. Yes, tough times at the moment, but when you get into that business you know that it won't always be drizzling just enough to keep things lush, or mild enough to keep things alive during the winter/spring. Farming in any country is inherently risky. Tourism also. If you want no risk then be a hairdresser. Guaranteed work all year round, whatever the weather. I mean that in the best possible way.

Or a funeral director, some say..

What gets me is that if you say eg, it is hot, meaning a simple statement, some folk accuse you of complaining when in fact you are simply stating a fact. Same with farmers; they are stating facts not grumbling.. well not always!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

So many butterflies and dragonflies this year. The dragonflies are huge too, hadn't seen them in years.

Have a shallow tray of water in the garden for the birds, there's a queue to it all day long.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Sitting at home in Dublin 8 and it is so warm. I just can't remember the last time I've seen any rain

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

DellyBelly wrote: »
    Sitting at home in Dublin 8 and it is so warm. I just can't remember the last time I've seen any rain

Good chance we'll be getting our fair share of rain within the next 7 to 10 days, as the Atlantic looks like it's going to fight back soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Missymoohaa

To MT and MJ, I can confirm the sea temperatures in wexford are much warmer than last year. We all had a very enjoyable swim, last year it was baltic.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Terrific evening here on the south coast of spain, like been at home according to what i was told earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭spookwoman

gozunda wrote: »
    So on your hunch of 'more extreme weather' (how do we quantify that exactly?) we are to engage in the development of major infrastructure projects such as the building of new reservoirs and change "farming practices"?

Leaving aside issues of 'changing weather' where weather describes local conditions and looking instead to climatic variations - it is certain that we have experienced similar drought type conditions in 1976 1995 etc. So although these conditions are not usual - it would appear that they are within a longer term irish climatic pattern. Imo the ever present issue of water conservation is perhaps best served by conservation measures including a programme of detecting leaking pipes and overall water wastage.

As to the sentiment that "if people don't change with the times then its their own fault" - I would suggest that vagaries of our climate dramatic should not ultimately dictate the type of agricutual activities (which are uniquely suited to our topography soils and normal weather conditions) anymore than the snow event earlier this year should mean for example that all motorists should change their cars to 4WD all terrain vehicles with snow tires and heated engines even where these conditions do not prevail.

Ultimately drought and other unusual climatic events affect all of us - whether this is in the production or purchase of food and other essentials. Doesn't mean we can't enjoy the unusual conditions but at the end of the day every one has to cope as well as possible giving the challenges faced.

We also know the climate is changing, no one is saying we all buy 4*4 etc I'm just saying be prepared especially in an industry that is reliant on "good weather"
    I remember in the 1980's and every year the Shannon floods yet people still build on its marshes etc. When they find their house or fields under 4 foot of water its the counsels fault or someone else.

In 2013 there was a fodder crises and a researcher "Dr Stephen Flood warned of severe future impacts of climate change on Irish agriculture." The report
    also said that Ireland could not produce enough fodder. It was dismissed by the IFA, they removed the milk quota and increased the dairy herd. 2017 another fodder crises and they knew this was going to happen months in advance we are again looking at another shortage. They had 5 years warning so who's fault is it if not prepared.

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/fodder-crisis-proves-we-have-too-many-cows-1.3452925

• Registered Users Posts: 11,800 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

my mum, God rest her, always used to say "its always raining in ireland, even in the summer" and I used to say "thats why everywhere is so lovely and green" - imagine if she was around for the last month with very little rain she would be well surprised!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

my mum, God rest her, always used to say "its always raining in ireland, even in the summer" and I used to say "thats why everywhere is so lovely and green" - imagine if she was around for the last month with very little rain she would be well surprised!

Aren't we all !!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 145 ✭✭BliainanAir

Gonzo wrote: »
    Good chance we'll be getting our fair share of rain within the next 7 to 10 days, as the Atlantic looks like it's going to fight back soon.

There's very little evidence of 'a fair share of rain' over the next 7-10 days. GFS FI isn't really evidence or day 8 of the UKMO hinting at low pressure to the north. When ECM and GEM etc don't agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

Gonzo wrote: »

I seriously doubt that.
    The models will be as unreliable as ever over the coming days as they try to get a handle on tropical storms in the Atlantic. Even if the Atlantic does break through, it will still be a case of radar watching, with some places getting very little rain while others do much better.
    The usual hit and miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,645 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

It's raining up north Donegal now, the third bout of rain since 5pm.

It's light, but it's raining.

I seriously doubt that.
    The models will be as unreliable as ever over the coming days as they try to get a handle on tropical storms in the Atlantic. Even if the Atlantic does break through, it will still be a case of radar watching, with some places getting very little rain while others do much better.
    The usual hit and miss.

A gradual breakdown from the Atlantic may bring rain to the west and north first but what falls in Mayo and Donegal will be very different to what will fall in Wexford. Needs a major breakdown to help the south and east or lows from Biscay, stagnant thundery weather.

NIMAN wrote: »
    It's raining up north Donegal now, the third bout of rain since 5pm.

It's light, but it's raining.

Often unusual how a year like 2012 was great, weather (and other wise in Donegal). But bar the north west summer was a disaster elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

ECM was showing a breakdown yesterday from next weekend. But having had a quick look there that has disappeared, and high pressure remains in charge. No rain looking likely for at least another week.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

spookwoman wrote: »
    We also know the climate is changing, no one is saying we all buy 4*4 etc I'm just saying be prepared especially in an industry that is reliant on "good weather"
    I remember in the 1980's and every year the Shannon floods yet people still build on its marshes etc. When they find their house or fields under 4 foot of water its the counsels fault or someone else.

In 2013 there was a fodder crises and a researcher "Dr Stephen Flood warned of severe future impacts of climate change on Irish agriculture." The report also said that Ireland could not produce enough fodder. It was dismissed by the IFA, they removed the milk quota and increased the dairy herd. 2017 another fodder crises and they knew this was going to happen months in advance we are again looking at another shortage. They had 5 years warning so who's fault is it if not prepared

Yeah but you referred to weather not climatic change. Ye better go a buy a 4WD to make sure you can drive to work when the next big snow hits ...

Btw farming and more
    Importantly food production here is not dependant on 'good weather' rather a range of weather conditions with average parameters. Most years have some shyte weather and you just get on with it regardless.

Extremes like 1976 1995 etc are usually the exception. The problem with 2017/2018 is thst we've had six months of rainfall then freezing conditions and then drought - even the tarmacadam on the roads can't put up with that - never mind animals or crops growing in the fields etc.

Poor planning permission policy has got feck all to do with anything here. Even a 100 year flood is going to cause problems with that kinda of shortsightness. Whose problem is that?

Btw it's not just 'fodder atm - arable horticultural and animal farming has all been seriously impacted this year. Ireland has an extensive form of agriculture which allows us to produce premium agricultural produce with a generally low reliance on feedstuffs. Agricultural output responds to demand and in most years farmers carry a surplus of silage hay etc into the following year. No forecast or fortune teller is going to gaze into their crystal ball and spot 3 successive different weather issues which have affected every single sector atm . Whose problem is that?

Yeah **** happens. But going around pointing fingers and saying it's all yer fault is pure ballcocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

On the ME forecast after the nine news Joan was saying the dry spell looks to go on indefinitely. Not good news for farmers.

Anyone else notice the lack of birds around (of the feathered variety) apart from magpies and crows.

• Advertisement

Zapperzy wrote: »
    So many butterflies and dragonflies this year. The dragonflies are huge too, hadn't seen them in years.

Have a shallow tray of water in the garden for the birds, there's a queue to it all day long.

I’ve 2 dishes of water out every day for thrushes, robins and tits, but none are coming to drink . Have you any tips? Should I put food out to encourage them?
    I’m seeing far fewer birds now than in the snow in winter .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

I’ve 2 dishes of water out every day for thrushes, robins and tits, but none are coming to drink . Have you any tips? Should I put food out to encourage them?
    I’m seeing far fewer birds now than in the snow in winter .

I've been leaving out a full bucket of water with the same result,I read (maybe here can't remember)that you need to leave it out in a very shallow container so will try that tomorrow.

St Swithin’s Day (July 15th?) will be the day to watch :)

St Swithin’s Day, if it does rain
    Full forty days, it will remain
    St Swithin’s Day, if it be fair
    For forty days, t'will rain no more."

St Swithin’s Day (July 15th?) will be the day to watch :)

St Swithin’s Day, if it does rain
    Full forty days, it will remain
    St Swithin’s Day, if it be fair
    For forty days, t'will rain no more."

ECM 12z for St. Swithin's Day:

O3ZS1xv.jpg

sryanbruen wrote: »
    ECM 12z for St. Swithin's Day:

O3ZS1xv.jpg

whats that in English? - looks dry, is that right?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

If ECM 12z follows history of previous days, it will be an unsettled run. The ECM 12z runs have had a tendency to be unsettled recently even though the 0z runs tended to be settled.

It does not follow history, staying settled and warm.

This year has already given history a right boot up the behind!!

whats that in English? - looks dry, is that right?

Anywhere you see white/grey is bone dry - see the colour key/legend below the chart which gives colours for different amounts of rainfall - for 7am on Sunday 15th July.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

gozunda - fail to prepare/prepare to fail.

This country should be investing in water infrastructure and certainly in a decent reservoir capacity. As for Irish food production not being weather dependent - the country sells agri-business on images of cattle grazing on lush green grass. In a decade we could see the whole shebang move indoors - as is the case in the USA where millions of cattle never go outside and are fed with concentrates. If Irish beef production looks like that then it's lost its USP and only the price will matter. Anyway that's a debate for the farming forum, not this one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concentrated_animal_feeding_operation

• Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

I’ve 2 dishes of water out every day for thrushes, robins and tits, but none are coming to drink . Have you any tips? Should I put food out to encourage them? I’m seeing far fewer birds now than in the snow in winter .

Is the water in constant shade? Ensure it is.
    I've put out oats, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds for the last fortnight. Flipping heck, my lot will win prizes at the Tullamore show at this rate

Saw something bizarre earlier today. A sparrow perched up on the satellite dish and preventing the swallows from rebuilding their former nest in the eave. Have seen a lot of animals and birds become less afraid of humans (same as any harsh weather) but not sparrows and swallows scrapping :O

• Advertisement

gozunda - fail to prepare/prepare to fail.

This country should be investing in water infrastructure and certainly in a decent reservoir capacity. As for Irish food production not being weather dependent - the country sells agri-business on images of cattle grazing on lush green grass. In a decade we could see the whole shebang move indoors - as is the case in the USA where millions of cattle never go outside and are fed with concentrates. If Irish beef production looks like that then it's lost its USP and only the price will matter. Anyway that's a debate for the farming forum, not this one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concentrated_animal_feeding_operation

Ugh - US meat and dairy is rank compared to Ireland ...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement