Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turning very warm/hot, heatwave conditions likely; Sunday 24th -->

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

gozunda - fail to prepare/prepare to fail. This country should be investing in water infrastructure and certainly in a decent reservoir capacity. As for Irish food production not being weather dependent - the country sells agri-business on images of cattle grazing on lush green grass. In a decade we could see the whole shebang move indoors - as is the case in the USA where millions of cattle never go outside and are fed with concentrates. If Irish beef production looks like that then it's lost its USP and only the price will matter. Anyway that's a debate for the farming forum, not this one.

Platitudes are just that Harry ...

Btw No one said that agriculture is not "weather dependant'- what was stated is that like most production systems it works inside certain parameters as defined by topography climate and soil. The type of agriculture practised here is dictated by all of these. Extremes are a challenge and not an excuse to call for throwing babies out with the bathwater and other types of hyperbole.

Infrastructure that works is a must. The other thing is that Irish agriculture is not just fodder- it's much much more. But I see the drum bangers keep up the same mantra again. Yes there are challenges in every industry including food production. This drought is affecting all types of agriculture including the basic ingredients of the 'concentrates' you are referring to. Arable and horticultural produce is every bit affected by this drought as is suburban water usage. Should we therefore all move our urban areas to somewhere like iceland because of drought years such as 1976 1995 etc etc? No I don't think so. We cope and move forward

All types of human endeavours require access to water resources. In the current drought the wastage in the system is exemplified in the huge loses from the existing pipe network. For certain that requires fixng before urban areas such as Dublin require even more abstraction from rural areas to meet those ever increasing and currently wasteful demands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Any sunshine expected tomorrow for Limerick/Tipp

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

Tonight’s sunset from wexford

A1_B5_A6_B6_D97_A_4_C3_F_965_E_9_E1388_A96_B73.jpg
    Jean Valentine

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

ECM was showing a breakdown yesterday from next weekend. But having had a quick look there that has disappeared, and high pressure remains in charge. No rain looking likely for at least another week.

Accumulated total precipitation between now and 17th July from the 12Z ECM.

Most of the country struggling to get even 5mm, Kerry and other mountainous areas the notable exceptions.

Outside Kerry mountains almost all of this to fall on or after next weekend, with nothing at all until then for the vast majority of us.

871707c2dff789b9448136aa710a28ce.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

I’ve 2 dishes of water out every day for thrushes, robins and tits, but none are coming to drink . Have you any tips? Should I put food out to encourage them?
    I’m seeing far fewer birds now than in the snow in winter .

I've still got a seed feeder out and have dozens of small birds and starlings visiting every day. I've filled the tray that goes underneath a flower pot with water and replace it every day with fresh water, it's about 12 inches in diameter and probably less than an inch in depth. Just placed on the grass underneath the feeder so I suppose they're used to visiting the feeder anyways. Little birds are able to perch on the edge and drink from it, starlings stand in the middle of it and drink/wash themselves.

I read I think in this thread that placing a few stones in your waterbath if it's too deep will give them something to perch on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,756 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Top temperatures in the south and east tomorrow. Some good sunshine. Cloudier in the northwest.

arpegeuk-41-22-0.png?08-00

• Registered Users Posts: 11,800 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Top temperatures in the south and east tomorrow. Some good sunshine. Cloudier in the northwest.

accuweather .com says Sligo will get a few spots of rain 1pm and 6pm (Sunday) not much tho

Zapperzy wrote: »
    I've still got a seed feeder out and have dozens of small birds and starlings visiting every day. I've filled the tray that goes underneath a flower pot with water and replace it every day with fresh water, it's about 12 inches in diameter and probably less than an inch in depth. Just placed on the grass underneath the feeder so I suppose they're used to visiting the feeder anyways. Little birds are able to perch on the edge and drink from it, starlings stand in the middle of it and drink/wash themselves.

I read I think in this thread that placing a few stones in your waterbath if it's too deep will give them something to perch on.

This is what I’ve done , a few shallow dishes with large pebbles in them and water on top .......in shady spots in the flower beds where birds pick around . But no birds are coming.

In winter my garden is full of birds . I’ve only put seed back in feeders yesterday so maybe that will attract them in a day or so.

There’s 2 lazy old cats snoozing in the garden but they’re not hunters and they’re there in winter too which has never bothered the birds . I’ll persist . Think I’ll buy an old stone bird bath sometime .

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

my mum, God rest her, always used to say "its always raining in ireland, even in the summer" and I used to say "thats why everywhere is so lovely and green" - imagine if she was around for the last month with very little rain she would be well surprised!

The thing is that out here in West Mayo we are still "lovely and green" . I am shocked at the photos of elsewhere..

spookwoman wrote: »
    We also know the climate is changing, no one is saying we all buy 4*4 etc I'm just saying be prepared especially in an industry that is reliant on "good weather"
    I remember in the 1980's and every year the Shannon floods yet people still build on its marshes etc. When they find their house or fields under 4 foot of water its the counsels fault or someone else.

In 2013 there was a fodder crises and a researcher "Dr Stephen Flood warned of severe future impacts of climate change on Irish agriculture." The report
    also said that Ireland could not produce enough fodder. It was dismissed by the IFA, they removed the milk quota and increased the dairy herd. 2017 another fodder crises and they knew this was going to happen months in advance we are again looking at another shortage. They had 5 years warning so who's fault is it if not prepared.

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/fodder-crisis-proves-we-have-too-many-cows-1.3452925

Ok so what do the "experts" expect farmers here to actually do please? Theories and ideas are all well and good . Saying "we have too many cows"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 oi softlad

arpegeuk-41-22-0.png?08-00

Roasting down thurles, another scrappy game of hurling in store, damn you Buble

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭B1gft

I’ve 2 dishes of water out every day for thrushes, robins and tits, but none are coming to drink . Have you any tips? Should I put food out to encourage them?
    I’m seeing far fewer birds now than in the snow in winter .

The birds are drinking at mine, but they are use to water and food here. Just keep the water cool and they should come.

https://youtu.be/p6garP0k_8U

An Ri rua wrote: »
    Is the water in constant shade? Ensure it is.
    I've put out oats, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds for the last fortnight. Flipping heck, my lot will win prizes at the Tullamore show at this rate

Saw something bizarre earlier today. A sparrow perched up on the satellite dish and preventing the swallows from rebuilding their former nest in the eave. Have seen a lot of animals and birds become less afraid of humans (same as any harsh weather) but not sparrows and swallows scrapping :O

I have a pair of sparrows nesting in a crevice in a 150 year stone wall by my door and on their third brood, and doing fine . Whenever I appear at the door I get scolded and always one of them perched ready to fly into their SECRET nest .. Little do they know that I can watch them from my kitchen.. Totally entrancing.

My garden this my first year here is containers all in trays, so abundant access to water, A little wary re food as I have cats but the sparrows are finding plenty. But then West Mayo is still green

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cyclops999

Chaffinchs, Wrens,Thrushes,Crows & Blackbirds drinking out of a container that I've left in a shaded area a back of house. Finches flapping wings in gravel easily 20 reminds me watching a nature documentary they make a right old racket. Strange at this time of year to see some trees an Autumnal colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

It's amazing that right throughout this whole spell the actual pressure has not been notably high at all. Briefly into the 1030s around 22/23rd of June, but since then it's only been in the 1020s/1010s (e.g. Mullingar, centre of Ireland).

http://www.ogimet.com/cgi-bin/gsynres?lang=en&ind=03971&ndays=30&ano=2018&mes=07&day=08&hora=06&ord=REV&Send=Send

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cyclops999

It's amazing that right throughout this whole spell the actual pressure has not been notably high at all. Briefly into the 1030s around 22/23rd of June, but since then it's only been in the 1020s/1010s (e.g. Mullingar, centre of Ireland).

http://www.ogimet.com/cgi-bin/gsynres?lang=en&ind=03971&ndays=30&ano=2018&mes=07&day=08&hora=06&ord=REV&Send=Send

Roscommon will never surrender to Westmeath.

The geographical centre of Ireland is in the townland of Carnagh East (Irish: An Charnach Thoir), County Roscommon on the western shore of Lough Ree, where the 8° Meridian West meets the 53°30' North Latitude. It is opposite the Cribby Islands and 8.85 kilometres NNW of Athlone Town.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

The south east/lower midlands enjoying the clear skies today. Everywhere else blanketed in cloud. Looks like the cloud is heavy in places and could bring rain.

The south east/lower midlands enjoying the clear skies today. Everywhere else blanketed in cloud. Looks like the cloud is heavy in places and could bring rain.

Interesting that you can tell what the entire country is like by looking at a map on a screen :confused: Blue skies and sun in Drogheda ..........North Leinster :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

South Dublin is glorious this morning , no blanket here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭fepper

We have a dense blanket of cloud down in Kerry but hopeful it will brighten up shortly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

0.6 mm rain recorded in Oranmore, first since 20th June. (Heavy drizzle really since 8 am)

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Heavy drizzle in east Galway, a welcome sight if I'm honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Cloud overhead and but no rain likely. Has been showers the last few days in various locations around us but nothing here

• Registered Users Posts: 15,424 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Tropical like outside, 24C and clear blue skies, sea breeze needed.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭fepper

Heavy mist now starting

• Registered Users Posts: 24,400 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Sun shining here in North Dublin all morning

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Another glorious cloudless sky here in Wexford.
    Last night seemed to be the most uncomfortable night heat wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Supercell wrote: »
    Tropical like outside, 24C and clear blue skies, sea breeze needed.

Conditions have swapped east/west, that's how it was for us at the beginning of the heatwave. Yellow/burnt grass is crying out for this drizzle.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Conditions have swapped east/west, that's how it was for us at the beginning of the heatwave. Yellow/burnt grass is crying out for this drizzle.

More fog than drizzle here earlier on. Noticing that the yellowing of the grass on the verges etc is now spreading. Still a good bit of green left though but getting that dark, dry looking tone.

New Moon

• Advertisement

Another glorious cloudless sky here in Wexford.
    Last night seemed to be the most uncomfortable night heat wise.

Yes I noticed the heat last night too; really oppressive

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement