Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turning very warm/hot, heatwave conditions likely; Sunday 24th -->

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,800 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

south county sligo @23'c at the moment - breeze , cloudy, looks like rain is threatening for a while but none yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Not been a great day relatively speaking in Offaly, a burst of warm sun earlier this morning but stubborn cloud since then. Warm though and humid and dry of course. Actually wouldn't mind a change to rain for a couple of weeks and then a nice August.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Mount Vesuvius

Hardly a cloud here on Waterford coast. Plenty back inland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

EdgeCase wrote: »
    London in hot weather's fine as long as you don't have to do anything or go anywhere. The Tube once it gets warm is an absolute torture and there's hardly any air conditioning anywhere. It's actually *far* worse than cities that have regular hot weather. To top that off, because of it's geography, being so far from on-shore breezes and its very dense population, it can also get really bad air quality.

If you want to experience good English weather - most of the lusher parts of southern England can be idyllic. It's very similar weather to Northern France (unsurprisingly).

Yes. London is a nightmare in hot weather. I worked over there with some Australians who laughed when a previous summer was forecasted to bring 30C. “Strewth. That’s a nice spring day, mate”.

Two weeks into that spell they were all cheesed off. The office had open windows air conditioning. The tube gets to 45C. Shops are hotter than outside as their refrigeration systems heat the shop, restaurants are boiling, most importantly their houses trap the heat.

And the real temp, were you to measure yourself would be 35C outside, higher inside. With no wind as you say.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Yes. London is a nightmare in hot weather. I worked over there with some Australians who laughed when a previous summer was forecasted to bring 30C. “Strewth. That’s a nice spring day, mate”.

Two weeks into that spell they were all cheesed off. The office had open windows air conditioning. The tube gets to 45C. Shops are hotter than outside as their refrigeration systems heat the shop, restaurants are boiling, most importantly their houses trsppedvthe heat.

And the real temp, were you to measure yourself would be 35C outside, higher inside. With no wind as you say.

And the buildings hold heat and radiate it out so you feel like you are in a pizza oven in the city

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

26.2C at my location and not too far away in Kilkenny City they are also reporting 26.2C.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Speak Now

28.2 currently in Waterford city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

Attached is a photo I took of a beautiful sun setting on Bana Strand Co. Kerry. It really was a sight to behold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Crappy weekend at my parents in the Wesht this weekend. Cloudy and humid all over the county on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,614 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

_Dara_ wrote: »
    Crappy weekend at my parents in the Wesht this weekend. Cloudy and humid all over the county on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

In other words, a typical 2003 day ;).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Getting word from home in Cork City that the sun is shining and it’s very warm :) Beaches are packed apperantly

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Dang, Oak Park reaches 25c again. That would be a 14-day heatwave if not for the measly 24.9 on Friday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

Here are some more images of Co. Kerry I took durning the heat wave last week they include Ross Castle Kilarney, Inch Beach, Muckross House Kilarney Banan Strand and Ballheigue Beach.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,614 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Dang, Oak Park reaches 25c again. That would be a 14-day heatwave if not for the measly 24.9 on Friday.

I'm sure somewhere at Oak Park reached 25.0c, just not at that specific location. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Really need a good storm to clear the air.. And I think you know my "love" of storms! :rolleyes:

Oppressive and stifling..West Mayo,offshore island

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Some sort of brief 12-24hr violent and stupidly wet storm - preferably overnight - where we could all just stay inside and let it do its thing would be very welcome.

Clear everything out, water the crops and animals, then let the sun roll back in the next day.

We can dream I suppose. Although maybe a small chance of something like that from the remnants of TS Chris (https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/)

The problem of course is that once the Atlantic gets back in charge, however briefly, it can take weeks or months to break the endless cycle of Low Pressure systems again.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 oi softlad

sryanbruen wrote: »
    In other words, a typical 2003 day ;).

Well, not quite because it wasn’t high 20s this weekend where I was. Slightly reminiscent is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Beautiful afternoon by the beach,a slight breeze to take the edge off the heat but that died down and it became very hot very quickly.
    Wexico living up to the name.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Nice evening in Castlebar, warm spells of sunshine in just light breezes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

Beautiful afternoon by the beach,a slight breeze to take the edge off the heat but that died down and it became very hot very quickly.
    Wexico living up to the name.

Yeah I must say I’ll be moving down there in the future. Best climate in Ireland. Even puts you in better form!

37_B3_EC41_E4_DD_4_B44_A49_A_38_AC84838_EB0.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 40,017 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Getting word from home in Cork City that the sun is shining and it’s very warm :) Beaches are packed apperantly
    Correct and right.

Yesterday’s temperatures show that much of the country didn’t get above the low 20s. Some places were even flirting with the high teens. It certainly wasn’t heatwave conditions everywhere this weekend. A good chunk of the country appeared to be under cloud. Where I was included. We even had a bit of localised rain this morning. Today appears much the same by monitoring the latest reports. The heatwave buzz is gone for now, when the whole country is in great form. Hope it returns!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Returns? Scorcher in Cork, definitely one of the warmest days of the year and clear skies.

MidMan25 wrote: »
    Returns? Scorcher in Cork, definitely one of the warmest days of the year and clear skies.

We’ve already established that some parts of the country had great weather this weekend. However, large swathes of the country didn’t. Whereas, the heatwave of a week or so ago, even the “cooler” parts of the country were mid 20s and blue skies. I’ve just returned from a weekend of low 20s cloud cover with a very heavy shower thrown in.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Cruel heat here in the Midlands earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

After it clouded over this afternoon the cloud has now mostly cleared and it's now mostly sunny again. It's 23.7C, RH 60%. The high today was 25.9C.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

_Dara_ wrote: »
    Yesterday’s temperatures show that much of the country didn’t get above the low 20s. Some places were even flirting with the high teens. It certainly wasn’t heatwave conditions everywhere this weekend. A good chunk of the country appeared to be under cloud. Where I was included. We even had a bit of localised rain this morning. Today appears much the same by monitoring the latest reports. The heatwave buzz is gone for now, when the whole country is in great form. Hope it returns!

It was fairly sunny here in Glasnevin yesterday with a high of 25.5C.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

If I wasn't already completely fed up with this weather, the plague of flying ants that just swept through our street in Dublin 7 has ensured I 100% hate it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,138 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Has Met E given out any high UV warnings this summer? I definitely haven't heard any, you would think they would have warnings of the dangers of sunburn/sunstroke with temperatures hitting the high 20s?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement