Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turning very warm/hot, heatwave conditions likely; Sunday 24th -->

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

This evening actually feels like one of the warmest we have had this year. No breeze and 19c

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Akrasia wrote: »
    Depends on where you were. 3 people were killed
    Yes, and that was tragic, but as a 'storm', it was not that historic.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 13,614 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

10c+ upper airs throughout on the ECM ensembles after tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Yes, and that was tragic, but as a 'storm', it was not that historic.

not sure,cant recall a non ex hurricane make a bullseye for ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,756 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Gentlemen, gentlemen Ireland's hurricane season does not start until October.

Focus on coming heat and no water (or as Bear Grylls calls it, "better drink my own piss") :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

Focus on coming heat and no water (or as Bear Grylls calls it, "better drink my own piss")

Lovely

Focus on coming heat and no water (or as Bear Grylls calls it, "better drink my own piss")

yes and our waters should be well warm enough by then for one :pac:

cue panic water buying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

On a positive note, I no longer need to urinate in my wetsuit during long swims.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

So far this month cork Airport has had 10.4mm of rain, where as last year the entirity of june had 109mm. Since we are near the end of june, this is amazing. 2016 had 65mm, 2015 54mm. Average 80.9, so we are well below average down here! Below is a picture of the earth starting to break away from my concrete paths, never seen that.

Srfz6X0.jpg

Happening along the entire edge of it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Finished work for two and half weeks. Heading to south of France on Wednesday for two weeks and this spell of weather is extending my holiday.... no begrudgery here!!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Focus on coming heat and no water (or as Bear Grylls calls it, "better drink my own piss") :D

Isn't that the new Rockshore lager from Guinness. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,086 ✭✭✭pauldry

it was 2c last night and 36c next week

Ah its the farenheit chart NAVGEM

2c 36f
    3c 37f

Must be.

Still an owl 31 or 32c cant yet be ruled out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

navgem-8-174.png?22-20

troll.gif

Lads,

I have a funny feeling Navgem might just be on to something here.
    Its just a hunch based on the trends towards upgrades.

It got to 33 and briefly 34 here in Roscommon in 2013 and the forecast for next week looks a notch up on that, so I wouldn't be suprised to see a 35 or 36 recorded (probably on a home station as the ME Climatological stations are poorly distributed in this part of the country.

I believe 31 was the official recorded max in that spell (im sure some of the stats guys here will correct me!)

Neddyusa wrote: »
    Lads,

I have a funny feeling Navgem might just be on to something here.
    Its just a hunch based on the trends towards upgrades.

It got to 33 and briefly 34 here in Roscommon in 2013 and the forecast for next week looks a notch up on that, so I wouldn't be suprised to see a 35 or 36 recorded (probably on a home station as the ME Climatological stations are poorly distributed in this part of the country.

I believe 31 was the official recorded max in that spell (im sure some of the stats guys here will correct me!)

Correct, the max was 31.0c at Dooks, Co. Kerry on July 19th 2013.

Long hot summer: no end in sight to next week’s heatwave

The weather is set to get hotter day by day next week with no indication yet when the upcoming heatwave will end, Met Éireann has said.

Temperatures will hit 24 degrees this weekend and then steadily rise into next week, reaching 28 degrees or more by Wednesday. Working off current forecasts there is no “peak” in sight to the warm, dry spell of weather.

“This area of high pressure sitting over the country has given us no indication that it is going to leave,” a spokeswoman for Met Éireann’s forecasting division said.

On Monday temperatures across most of Ireland will be 25 degrees and will not drop below more than 15 degrees during the night.

Temperatures on Tuesday will start off at around 21 degrees from 10am and could reach 26 degrees by late afternoon. The warm, dry weather will hang around for the evening, dropping to 15 degrees by 10pm along the coast from Dublin to Cork.

But temperatures along parts of the western coast such as Galway and Limerick could still be close to 23 degrees around the same time.

Wednesday is set to be hotter still, with highest temperatures to hit 28 degrees in much of Leinster by 4pm. The rest of the country will not be far behind at 27 degrees, which will hold well into the evening before dropping to between 14 and 20 degrees that night.

The next day will be similar, if not slightly hotter at 28 degrees or above. But coastal areas may be slightly cooler over the week due to stronger breezes.

Met Éireann’s definition of a heatwave is five consecutive days of maximum temperatures of 25 degrees and over for a given location, which looks set to be met next week based on current forecasts.

This data is taken from a new weather forecaster model on Met Éireann’s website, www.met.ie, which offers a guide to how the next week will shape up based on computer predictions. Meteorologists interpret these models along with other information and readings to draw up their weather forecasts.

IRISH TIMES.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,904 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

everyone is going on about the day time temperatures. Very few people are mentioning the possible night time temperatures.

I don't think this will be much of an issue on the east coast with cooling sea breezes keeping our night time coolish.

Certain parts of the country could have some extremely uncomfortable London style sticky nights next week, particularly urban areas of Limerick, Shannon and Galway could see night time temperatures struggling to go below 20C.

As for daytime temperatures, I reckon 32C will be the absolute max anywhere will get. I don't think the 34-37C being predicted on certain models are even possible in this country, even under the most perfect conditions.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

irishfeen wrote: »
    Its like something biblical :)

ukmaxtemp.png

maxtemp.png

Biblical? I don't see plagues of locusts or rivers turning to blood being forecast on those charts,

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I don't think I've ever seen such a short Met Eireann forecast, not much to say other than "HOT".

Meanwhile, their own symbols give 29c for my location at 7pm on Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Gonzo wrote: »

I don't think this will be much of an issue on the east coast with cooling sea breezes keeping our night time coolish.

You get offshore breezes at night when the temperatures reach very high levels inland this brings heat to the coasts after sundown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

everyone is going on about the day time temperatures. Very few people are mentioning the possible night time temperatures.

Certain parts of the country could have some extremely uncomfortable London style sticky nights next week, particularly urban areas of Limerick, Shannon and Galway could see night time temperatures struggling to go below 20C.

As for daytime temperatures, I reckon 32C will be the absolute max anywhere will get. I don't think the 34-37C being predicted on certain models are even possible in this country, even under the most perfect conditions.

Agreed the nights will be nasty for some....especially in new houses with high levels of attic and roof insulation....trapping heat upstairs in many houses:eek:

Interested in why you think 34-37C is not possible?

As I said previously, we hit 33-34C here in mid afternoon on 19 Jul 2013, so an extra couple of degrees over that isnt beyond the realms of possibility in this type of set-up, or is it?..:)

I certainly don't think anything over 31 or 32 will be widespread, but certain locations in inland midwest/ west are likely to go above this.
    In these conditions with very little wind, topographical and geological factors come into play - a bit like the inverse effect of frost hollows etc.

Biblical? I don't see plagues of locusts or rivers turning to blood being forecast on those charts,

Yet...

New Moon

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,904 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Agreed the nights will be nasty for some....especially in new houses with high levels of attic and roof insulation....trapping heat upstairs in many houses:eek:

As I said previously, we hit 33-34C here in mid afternoon on 19 Jul 2013, so an extra couple of degrees over that isnt beyond the realms of possibility in this type of set-up, or is it?..:)

I certainly don't think anything over 31 or 32 will be widespread, but certain locations in inland midwest/ west are likely to go above this.
    In these conditions with very little wind, topographical and geological factors come into play - a bit like the inverse effect of frost hollows etc.

I should probably be more clear in what I really want to say. I'm sure 34C may be possible in some places, but what I'd really like to see is those sort of temperatures at an official station, so that we can finally beat the all time record of 33.3C at Kilkenny Castle in 1887.

I'm fairly certain that temperature has been beaten in my lifetime, but it's not official as it hasn't been recorded officially. We really don't have enough official stations in this country, there should be at least one in every county. We may well reach 34C or even 35C in some very selected areas, but this will just not be recorded with official stations often being cooler.

Agreed the nights will be nasty for some....especially in new houses with high levels of attic and roof insulation....trapping heat upstairs in many houses :eek:

Interestingly, a well insulated house keeps out the heat during the day, provided there is not huge windows left open facing into the sun.

The cooling effects of the sea that this airmass has to travel over before reaching Ireland tempers achievable maximums. Basically, the airmass hitting Wexford will be alot cooler than the airmass hitting Kent. The baseline is lower. We don't have enough landmass and high enough mountains (added Fohn effect) to raise temperatures to the heights that the UK can get. They're closer to the continent, much shorter sea track and in parts, further south too.
    Whatever thermometer was recording that in 2013 was not properly exposed. Indeed, I'd render some of the official stations questionable owing to influences caused by surrounding environments such as roads, buildings, etc...
    Agreed, I think a 31c or even 32c is possible, as for the 33.3c record - it'll come very close and if it does fall it will only be by a 0.1c or 0.2c margin I'd wager.

Long hot summer: no end in sight to next week’s heatwave

The weather is set to get hotter day by day next week with no indication yet when the upcoming heatwave will end, Met Éireann has said.

Temperatures will hit 24 degrees this weekend and then steadily rise into next week, reaching 28 degrees or more by Wednesday. Working off current forecasts there is no “peak” in sight to the warm, dry spell of weather.

“This area of high pressure sitting over the country has given us no indication that it is going to leave,” a spokeswoman for Met Éireann’s forecasting division said.

On Monday temperatures across most of Ireland will be 25 degrees and will not drop below more than 15 degrees during the night.

Temperatures on Tuesday will start off at around 21 degrees from 10am and could reach 26 degrees by late afternoon. The warm, dry weather will hang around for the evening, dropping to 15 degrees by 10pm along the coast from Dublin to Cork.

But temperatures along parts of the western coast such as Galway and Limerick could still be close to 23 degrees around the same time.

Wednesday is set to be hotter still, with highest temperatures to hit 28 degrees in much of Leinster by 4pm. The rest of the country will not be far behind at 27 degrees, which will hold well into the evening before dropping to between 14 and 20 degrees that night.

The next day will be similar, if not slightly hotter at 28 degrees or above. But coastal areas may be slightly cooler over the week due to stronger breezes.

Met Éireann’s definition of a heatwave is five consecutive days of maximum temperatures of 25 degrees and over for a given location, which looks set to be met next week based on current forecasts.

This data is taken from a new weather forecaster model on Met Éireann’s website, www.met.ie, which offers a guide to how the next week will shape up based on computer predictions. Meteorologists interpret these models along with other information and readings to draw up their weather forecasts.

IRISH TIMES.

If I want to know what the weather will be like, I'll stick with Met Eireann directly or the experts here on Boards.ie. We don't need 'pen in gob' journalists giving us the 'rundown' because journalists have no enthusiasm for, or are expert in anything, other than selling their own profile and creating clickbait headlines in order to increase profit potential for their company.

New Moon

I'm fairly certain that temperature has been beaten in my lifetime, but it's not official as it hasn't been recorded officially. We really don't have enough official stations in this country, there should be at least one in every county. We may well reach 34C or even 35C in some very selected areas, but this will just not be recorded with official stations often being cooler.

The climatological network isn't that shabby. There was what I deem a "drive" in 2010 to add stations to the network (which I'm part of) and there is a decent spread across the country.

WebMapsClim.png

More could be added in fairness, but it's a big ask for volunteers. There is a notable gap in East Galway, Longford, Mid-West Cork, West Wicklow and northern Westmeath and Donegal.

But the above map is a much improved situation when compared to what went before.

Danno wrote: »
    The climatological network isn't that shabby. There was what I deem a "drive" in 2010 to add stations to the network (which I'm part of) and there is a decent spread across the country.

More could be added in fairness, but it's a big ask for volunteers. There is a notable gap in East Galway, Longford, Mid-West Cork, West Wicklow and northern Westmeath and Donegal.

But the above map is a much improved situation when compared to what went before.

Meanwhile, in terms of synoptic stations, there is no synoptic station in Limerick, Waterford, Laois, Offaly, Kildare, Leitrim, Monaghan, Louth, Kilkenny and Wicklow whilst there's 4 in Mayo, 3 in Dublin and 4 in Cork alone.

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    If I want to know what the weather will be like, I'll stick with Met Eireann directly or the experts here on Boards.ie. We don't need 'pen in gob' journalists giving us the 'rundown' because journalists have no enthusiasm for, or are expert in anything, other than selling their own profile and creating clickbait headlines in order to increase profit potential for their company.

I wouldn't mind, but it reads as if it was written by someone who has no clue about the weather whatsoever. The assertion that Leinster as a whole would be warmer than Limerick seems like the journalist began to read between the lines.

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Meanwhile, in terms of synoptic stations, there is no synoptic station in Limerick, Waterford, Laois, Offaly, Kildare, Leitrim, Monaghan, Louth, Kilkenny and Wicklow whilst there's 4 in Mayo, 3 in Dublin and 4 in Cork alone.

Yes, that is fact. Those stations are there because of other infrastructure such as airports, agricultural colleges, etc...

I'm surprised that Waterford Airport is not a synoptic station owing to the airport there, but I guess that's down to funding.

Will send you a DM.

• Advertisement

Danno wrote: »
    Yes, that is fact. Those stations are there because of other infrastructure such as airports, agricultural colleges, etc...

I'm surprised that Waterford Airport is not a synoptic station owing to the airport there, but I guess that's down to funding.

Will send you a DM.
    And Kerry airport too, not a synoptic station. Seems bizzare really, as alot of the infastructure is likely at these sites already.

For Limerick, Shannon does amply cover the area. Shannon would be more relevant to anywhere in Limerick county than it is to my part of West Clare.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement