Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turning very warm/hot, heatwave conditions likely; Sunday 24th -->

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Danno wrote: »

Whatever thermometer was recording that in 2013 was not properly exposed. Indeed, I'd render some of the official stations questionable owing to influences caused by surrounding environments such as roads, buildings, etc...

We are in the middle of that large gap between official stations in South Roscommon/East Galway.
    I believe it was measuring temperature correctly. The siting of my station is pretty reasonable re exposure (basically in farmland, away from buildings) and tallied with other local readings well at the time.

I agree re roads, buildings etc creating heat islands vis a vis official stations.

My point relates to the kind of heat islands created by the natural landscape, particularly areas around here where karst rock is close to the surface and slopes of sheltered hollows can trap heat.

While these are obviously not good locations for an official recording station as they are not representative of a region, I think temperature readings from this type of site could be just as valid for some local areas of mid-west as those from a station located, for example, next to an airport runway ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

What about all the weather stations on the motorways is it possible to view readings from them and how accurate would they be. They seem to be all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭Bsal

kilkenny31 wrote: »
    What about all the weather stations on the motorways is it possible to view readings from them and how accurate would they be. They seem to be all over the place.

https://www.tiitraffic.ie/weather/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Neddyusa wrote: »
    We are in the middle of that large gap between official stations in South Roscommon/East Galway.
    I believe it was measuring temperature correctly. The siting of my station is pretty reasonable re exposure (basically in farmland, away from buildings) and tallied with other local readings well at the time.

What equipment recorded ~34c?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Meanwhile, in terms of synoptic stations, there is no synoptic station in Limerick, Waterford, Laois, Offaly, Kildare, Leitrim, Monaghan, Louth, Kilkenny and Wicklow whilst there's 4 in Mayo, 3 in Dublin and 4 in Cork alone.

In fairness with Mayo it can vary widely between the stations, plus Knock has its own micro climate.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I could definitely sort out a station in Longford

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

I would suggest that surface water after heavy rain recently was due to water running off hard ground rather than a high water table. That was certainly the case in my area anyway. It's why in a drought, steady drizzle is far more welcome than heavy rain, as heavy rain just runs off hard surfaces and gathers in certain areas.

This rainfall is on grass/soil area in my garden. My garden has good drainage, but whenever there is a long period of rainfall (3 to 4 hours), water begins to accumulate on the grass/soil surface.

Even during this dry spell, I notice that if we get dew fall, the grass/soil is moist and it will remain that way for a good few hours even after sunrise.

I still wager that the water table is high.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

hinault wrote: »
    This rainfall is on grass/soil area in my garden. My garden has good drainage, but whenever there is a long period of rainfall (3 to 4 hours), water begins to accumulate on the grass/soil surface.

Even during this dry spell, I notice that if we get dew fall, the grass/soil is moist and it will remain that way for a good few hours even after sunrise.

In parts of Kilkenny, some wells are going dry already, water tables are exceptionally low for time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

That's more to do with soil type below your topsoil level than water table levels

• Registered Users Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭OldRio

It does show the difference in different parts of the country. Here in Leitrim it rained for about 6 hours the other day.
    Grass is green as ever is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,425 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Neddyusa wrote: »
    Agreed the nights will be nasty for some....especially in new houses with high levels of attic and roof insulation....trapping heat upstairs in many houses:eek:

I leave my attic door open to allow the heat to pass through the insulation

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

I'm going go to go for a max report of 32 °C at Shannon Airport next Thursday or Friday. It always reads slightly high due to the station's location.

We might see a 30 at Kerry Airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

I'm gping for a max of 31 at Shannon Airport next Thursday or Friday. It generally reads slightly higher due to poor exposure of the station.

We could see a 30 at Kerry Airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

OldRio wrote: »
    It does show the difference in different parts of the country. Here in Leitrim it rained for about 6 hours the other day.
    Grass is green as ever is.

Same in West Mayo

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭glightning

I think the chances of 32c+ maxes is rather slim to be honest. High twenties is definitely possible though.

Ireland is an island, and not a huge one at that. For most people the longest possible land draw is 100 to 200 miles. But most often it is much less than that. And the seas are always relatively cool compared with other countries.

I was in New York a few weeks back where the 850 temps were around 18c with a very long SW flow bring air up the entire United States land mass. The max official temp that day in the city was 32c.

I’ve been in London on a 34c day there. The 850 temps were around 20 to 22c with a SE flow from the near continent. Only a 20 mile stretch of water for the air to travel over in the English Channel so it remained relatively unmodified. And it usually takes those kind of 850’s for London to achieve such a max. And they have a geographical advantage over Ireland when it comes to high temps.

I believe that Ireland would need 850 temps of at least 20c to achieve a true 34c max. And this upcoming spell (so far) is only showing 850 temps reaching about 17c (which is still excellent). 30c is possible here with those 850’s but much more likely is 27c to 29c. And that’s assuming that the skies are as clear as possible all day long. Any high cloud or early mist before lunchtime will hurt chances.

I usually mentally calculate maxes using the following (albeit simplistic formula i’ll agree - but it’s usually close to the mark).

850 temp of 17c :-
    Partly cloudy day (17c + 10c) = 27c
    Sunny day, slight breezes (17c + 12c) = 29c
    Intensely sunny day and almost zero wind (17c + 14c) = 31c

So, this is what I would expect for later this week if we manage to get up to 17c 850 temps.

No guarantees that 850’s will get that high though. This morning’s runs are showing more like 12 to 13c meaning maxes of 24c to 28c.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭glightning

I think the chances of 32c+ maxes is rather slim to be honest. High twenties is definitely possible though.

Ireland is an island, and not a huge one at that. For most people the longest possible land draw is 100 to 200 miles. But most often it is much less than that. And the seas are always relatively cool compared with other countries.

I was in New York a few weeks back where the 850 temps were around 18c with a very long SW flow bring air up the entire United States land mass. The max official temp that day in the city was 32c.

I’ve been in London on a 34c day there. The 850 temps were around 20 to 22c with a SE flow from the near continent. Only a 20 mile stretch of water for the air to travel over in the English Channel so it remained relatively unmodified. And it usually takes those kind of 850’s for London to achieve such a max. And they have a geographical advantage over Ireland when it comes to high temps.

I believe that Ireland would need 850 temps of at least 20c to achieve a true 34c max.

p.s. models this morning are only showing 850’s reaching 12c to 13c later this week. Though that could change

• Registered Users Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Also if say your garden is well compacted and during rainfall the water is taking a while to work it's way to the drainage of it can get to it at all

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭crx===

Isn't that the new Rockshore lager from Guinness. :)

No...that's nob hose 13😉

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Is boards having issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

The Romans never made it to Ireland. ;)
    No forward thinking here like they had.

Spain was lucky, they got the Romans.
    We were unlucky, we got Irish Water. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭twinkletoes

Hi everyone, just wondering how much cooler will the coasts be? Will they get the heat but be a welcome relief from inland or will they feel alot cooler? heading to Cork coast and hoping it wont dissappointing compared to inland? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Just been outside and very very warm out there. Air is still and you can taste the heat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭dexter647

Are we back?....Anyway absolutely gorgeous here in Laois with wall to wall sunshine and a temp just shy of 24 c.....Just perfect:)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,614 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

glightning wrote: »
    I believe that Ireland would need 850 temps of at least 20c to achieve a true 34c max. And this upcoming spell (so far) is only showing 850 temps reaching about 17c (which is still excellent). 30c is possible here with those 850’s but much more likely is 27c to 29c. And that’s assuming that the skies are as clear as possible all day long. Any high cloud or early mist before lunchtime will hurt chances.

Incorrect, the upper air temperatures weren't that remarkably high with the 33.3c record of 1887. It was helped by the extremely dry ground.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Around 19C to 20C here near Tralee all day, light WNW sea breeze very welcome.

Currently 19.6C

temp_uk_kfl7.png

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

European models giving higher temperatures the the American models. Would definitely side with the European. Very low Relative Humidity tomorrow. Whats going on! :)

hirlamuk-41-34-0_vfp9.png

arpegeuk-41-34-0_tua3.png

yIKuTHu.png

6Uc7OFC.png

arpegeuk-19-32-0_rhr6.png

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11 A Fridge too Far

RTE showing 2 days of cloud with a high of 24 on Friday for Dublin. I'm not complaining but it's hardly that unusual, for Dublin right?
    Do these forecasts take into account the breeze that cools you down, or would it still only be 22c out of the wind?

https://www.rte.ie/weather/22259-dublin/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,614 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

RTE showing 2 days of cloud with a high of 24 on Friday for Dublin. I'm not complaining but it's hardly that unusual, for Dublin right?
    Do these forecasts take into account the breeze that cools you down, or would it still only be 22c out of the wind?

https://www.rte.ie/weather/22259-dublin/

Don't be bothering with weather apps or sites like that, they're next to useless. If you even look at the RTÉ Weather graphics on their TV forecast, they show no cloud at all for Wednesday or Thursday. Human interpretations are far superior than computer generated symbols!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Max of only 18.9c today in West Clare thanks to a cooling sea breeze. Stunningly sunny though, such a strong sun should help temperatures inland.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11 A Fridge too Far

I thought RTE just relayed what they get from the Met Office, who I assume are the leaders in predicting the weather?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement