Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turning very warm/hot, heatwave conditions likely; Sunday 24th -->

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I thought RTE just relayed what they get from the Met Office, who I assume are the leaders in predicting the weather?

Met Eireann, the Met Office are the UK.

RTE TV forecasts are good, generic symbols are starkly inaccurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Danno wrote: »
    Interestingly, a well insulated house keeps out the heat during the day, provided there is not huge windows left open facing into the sun.

The old traditional stone cottages were grand; the thick walls kept heat out and cold out. The real problem there was damp but they kept the turf fire going for cooking 24/7 all year round. Doors open in summer. I lived in such a cottage in my North Sea home.

This dwelling I live in here is insulated aluminium. No damp, but in hot weather like a big slow cooker..Of course we no not make provision for hot weather here!

Preparing to broil!

Met Éireanns temperature forecast map thinking a Max of 31c for Monday ;)

Normally I'd take 3-4c off their estimates for this type of weather.

It has been lovely today here, West Mayo offshore island, Glorious sun but a friendly breeze. Perfect!

Sorry I cannot give stats. :o Makes me feel very amateur.. which I am!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11 A Fridge too Far

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Met Eireann, the Met Office are the UK.

RTE TV forecasts are good, generic symbols are starkly inaccurate.

Sorry I don't speak Irish!
    Ok well I'll just wait and see how it goes then thanks :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,614 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Met Éireanns temperature forecast map thinking a Max of 31c for Monday ;)

Normally I'd take 3-4c off their estimates for this type of weather.

I was waiting for it to slip up just like it did for May 29th :P.

cEcIk1d.png

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

I said 31/32 at Shannon purely because of the poor exposure there. It seems to always read anomalously high there, especially in the evening time.

The cumulative effect of the next 5 days, drying ground, light winds, etc. should allow 30 to be achieved in a few select spots. 925 hPa temperatures (at ~800 metres) are progged to be around 20 degrees. With slack winds, superadiabatic conditions at the surface should easily add 10 degrees to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

High so far today for my location in Kilkenny is a 24.6C which it briefly reached before a quick retreat back into the 23Cs.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,756 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Models this afternoon generally going for mid - high twenties and plenty of sun for Monday - Sunday. No substantial changes. Some uncertainty for next weekend. Breakdown or continuation of warm dry conditions?

Either way a great week for sun worshippers coming up!

Don't be surprised with 27 or 28 in the midlands tomorrow.

arpegeuk-0-29-0.png?23-18

The trend is always appears to be this time of year when you get within a day or two you get a couple of degrees added to what was previously forecast for surface temperatures...

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

European models giving higher temperatures the the American models. Would definitely side with the European. Very low Relative Humidity tomorrow. Whats going on?]

The GFS tends to overdo humidities, so is probably getting the afternoon temps too low. Drier air will warm more in the sun. The landscape is parched across much of the country. Theres very little moisture out there, as the air over us sits around and warms up a little more each day. Home grown heat!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,400 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Max of only 18.9c today in West Clare thanks to a cooling sea breeze. Stunningly sunny though, such a strong sun should help temperatures inland.

And we've had onshore breezes here too on the east...

What way is the prevailing wind?

And just to reference the 850 temps, tomorrow afternoon not even 10c in the midlands yet 28c at the ground level is possible.

850 hpa temps are not the be all and end all particularly this time of year. Many other factors at play.

850:

arpegeuk-16-27-0.png?23-18

2 metre (surface temps)

arpegeuk-0-29-0.png?23-18

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Surely 31c by as soon as Monday is stretching it a little? (Met Eireann's 'Harmonie' model)

oZRvJTh.png

New Moon

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Surely 31c by as soon as Monday is stretching it a little? (Met Eireann's 'Harmonie' model)

oZRvJTh.png

Arpege which is solid short range going for around 29 as the max on Monday...

arpegeuk-0-52-0.png?23-18

Not far off, mind. But, no if we see 30 or above it would probably be later in the week in my opinion.

lawred2 wrote: »
    And we've had onshore breezes here too on the east...

What way is the prevailing wind?

Currently we're slap bang in the middle of High Pressure, so there is none. In a slack flow or no flow sea breeze will readily develop on all coasts with significant water.

Risk of forest fires has led to an orange level forest fire warning.

People are advised to not light any fires near wooded areas.

arpegeuk-0-100-0.png?23-19

Just for fun, 32 c + for Galway on Wednesday. ;)

Beautiful evening here, 19 c. The high cloud has been a bit stubborn though. Come on Sun!

source.gif

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

West midlands the focus of the heat then?
    I'll be spending the first half of the week in Galway City, second half in Cork City.

Will be interesting to see if there will be any difference in heat levels.
    Galway City to have some nice onshore breeze?

How far inland do these onshore cooling breezes go?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,614 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Oak Park still reporting 24c at 18:00.

19C in Cork City, very pleasant with sunshine and slight breeze.

• Advertisement

Orange warning re fire danger

https://www.rte.ie/news/dublin/2018/0623/972692-forest-fire/

I was in Kerry on the edge of the National Park the year of the fires and a shocking time it was. One day woke to see fires in literally almost every direction. Was ready to evacuate..

I know boardsies will take care;thank you..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

The SE / E heating up quickly tomorrow morning. The AROME showing temperatures edging ahead of others around KilKenny / Carlow region.

7894_ima9.png

6001_xfj5.png

aromehd-41-27-0_nas9.png

Looks like not as much cloud as today, probably a thin veil of cirrus.

tempresult_nak3.gif

Just for fun, 32 c + for Galway on Wednesday. ;)

And not just any part of Galway.. :(

New Moon

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    And not just any part of Galway.. :(

You in the firing line Oneiric?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭snowstreams

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    West midlands the focus of the heat then?
    I'll be spending the first half of the week in Galway City, second half in Cork City.

Will be interesting to see if there will be any difference in heat levels.
    Galway City to have some nice onshore breeze?

How far inland do these onshore cooling breezes go?

I live about 10 miles east of Galway city (near athenry weather station) and the temperature was about 2-3c higher here all the time during the last heatwave 2 weeks ago.
    Athenry weather station should be the one to watch next wednesday by the looks of that Arpege chart.

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    You in the firing line Oneiric?

See the darkest red spot on the entire map? Yep, that is on top of my head.

New Moon

26C on that for me for tomorrow, but with Siobhan Ryan saying tomorrow will be 1C to 2C warmer than today where it reached 24.6C, then that would back up what she said.
    Still around 23C here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Farmers are suffering over on their forum. No rain= no growth = hay/silage shortage this winter.

Farmers are suffering over on their forum. No rain= no growth = hay/silage shortage this winter.

The country needs rain badly, I know some would like to shoot me for saying that. None of us want a strong Atlantic regime, the interval between the last warm spell and this one has been so disappointing in terms of rainfall, some parts of the country did well, the northern part in particular but other areas will just continue to see fields turn less and less green.
    It is a big concern and it will start affecting urban areas more too as reservoir levels continue to fall.
    We have to take what comes, and what has been happening with our weather has been exceptional.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

The Jet giving us a wide berth over the next few days.

Swk4eH9.gif?1

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement