Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turning very warm/hot, heatwave conditions likely; Sunday 24th -->

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller

Anyone know how long this very hot weather will last? I hate when it's this hot.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,757 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Anyone know how long this very hot weather will last? I hate when it's this hot.

Until at least next weekend.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,921 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

And hopefully longer. My birthday is the 4th of July and it has been a while since I had a nice day for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭logically

28.6 in the conservatory here. Think I'll go outside for a while to cool down :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I'd be happy for this weather to continue uninterrupted up to the 2nd week of October!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

I'd be delighted for this weather to continue till the end of october, then we can have the full brunt of winter with blizzards and trapped in snow ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Met Eireanns temperature map has 31c over North Kerry for Tuesday now too, looks hot!

Sea breeze today kept the max to 23.3c, currently 21.2c with an RH of only 34%, rare for West Clare.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

Gonzo wrote: »
    I'd be happy for this weather to continue uninterrupted up to the 2nd week of October!

I’ll second that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller

Christ.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

we-dont-take-kindly-to-your-types-around-here.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Humidity at 22% in Clarermorris on 5pm reports. 27% in Shannon, 30% in Roscommon and 31% at Cork Apt. Highest reading is 74% in Roches Pt.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Humidity after dropping to 31% in Cork, :D

Damn Oneiric3 got there before me :P.

22% is some low Humidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

To have a cold Winter followed by a hot Summer and then another cold Winter would be very remarkable and probably even unprecedented in our country. I have not even come across an example of it. 1995 was a hot Summer followed by a cold Winter but 1994-95 was very wet and mild. 1947 was a cold Winter followed by a hot Summer but 1947-48 was a mild and wet Winter though it ended cold in the second half of February. 2010 was a relatively warm Summer but far from a "hot" Summer so to speak (I don't need to say how the winters before and ahead of it turned out now do I? ;)).

In other news, the pool of cold SSTs I was referring to previously in the North Atlantic (marked on the map below of SSTs) has become more intense recently so closing the gap of the warm pool of SSTs to contrast with the cold blob. I was worrying that because these cold SSTs were looking weak, the jet stream was going to blow up and give us depression after depression. Fortunately, as they've become more intense now, this only promotes blocking to continue the settled weather.

BBQnvnm.gif

Mars Bar wrote: »
    My birthday is the 4th of July

A birthday tune for you. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKQ26iSBG-E

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 40,019 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Not a puff of wind in Cork where I am. Even the dog who would normally be raring to go for a walk isn't that enthusiastic and I won't drag him out.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,425 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Mars Bar wrote: »
    And hopefully longer. My birthday is the 4th of July and it has been a while since I had a nice day for it!

You this guy?
    bornonthefourth_3147942b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

A few degrees cooler on the beach but it was very pleasant,very warm once you go inland a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Have been enjoying the much greater warmth here near the Kildare/Carlow border. The difference the distance inland makes is unreal compared to my Dublin abode. Almost disappointing to have to head back to N.Dublin later knowing the wind shall be from the East all week. Will be interesting to see how much of an impact it will have - got to 22 at the airport today vs. 25/26 of more inland.

Now now...before anyone gets onto me that 22 is not to be sniffed at. It isn't. But when 30 degrees is on offer for other areas this week you don't have to ask me twice as to which I want. I'll take a 25 in Dublin this week so fingers crossed the wind will only keep it fresher for more immediate coastal parts of the East.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭spoonerhead

Danno wrote: »

Didn’t realise the Dubs can scorch a county that bad....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Reached 22.9C here near Tralee, 20.0C atm. Nice light W'ly. Rh down to 45%, currently 56%.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

temp_uk_tqd1.png

humi_uk_fmr4.png

John.Icy wrote: »
    Almost disappointing to have to head back to N.Dublin later knowing the wind shall be from the East all week.

Not entirely true. There will be variability in wind direction at times as well. :cool:

Not entirely true. There will be variability in wind direction at times as well. :cool:

There is variable winds for ye.

vent_uk_msk9.png

Latest DMI's 'Harmonie' model showing the 30C threshold being breached over the midlands and west on Tuesday.

7nsKy7R.png

s05-isotermlegend.gif

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Damo76

2017 was mixed, hot at 1st with a cool ending and followed by a late winter. I see similarities with the following 2 years; Summer 1983 hot followed by cold winter 83/84. Summer 1984 was warm followed by a mixed winter of 1984/1985 mild to start, severe in the middle and average towards the end. A severe January or February is long overdue. Maybe 2019.

Temperatures really soaring later in the week. Great Arpege.

Wednesday

arpegeuk-41-75-0.png?24-18

Thursday

arpegeuk-41-99-0.png?24-19

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Just back from an unscientific field trip. Quickly "calibrated" the car thermometer by parking beside the weather station at Dublin Airport, reading 22.5 in the car and 22 on the METAR so reasonably accurate.

Then went on a wide lap of Dublin via Blanch, Dunboyne, Kilcock, Naas. Maxed out on the N7 near Kill at 27.5 degrees, with 25 through most of Meath and 26.5 in Kilcock, Sallins and Clane. around 1730-1800hrs.

Back in Dublin now and 22C.

I wonder if these latest short-ranges are overdoing the temps a bit? They seem to be far higher than what the global GFS or Euro models are showing for the same time, and while they may be more 'conservative' regarding temps, they often prove to be nearer the mark in the end.

I would actually be surprised if it reached 30c here on Tues.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

If you are in Malaga this week it's going from 29c today to 34c by Wednesday

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement