Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turning very warm/hot, heatwave conditions likely; Sunday 24th -->

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Jaysus mate. Can you make it clearer what DP means.
    I had a google and it came up with some very NSFW links ��

DP stands for Dew Point ie. the temperature where dew can start to form I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

:pac:

He is talking about Dew Point, not... :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

24 degrees in Ballyhaise (Cavan) at 9pm!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,512 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Great conditions for sky watching too, Venus very bright in the west-northwest (will soon have set so possibly have a look next few nights, it will be there all summer) ... Jupiter low in south at sunset and low in southwest by 11 p.m. (where that's later than sunset), Antares quite low in south around midnight, bright red when seen in dark skies, then Saturn rising around 11 p.m. and prominent in south by 0100h, full moon night of 27th-28th will be close to Saturn in sky on late evening of 28th then you can't miss seeing Mars rising after 0100h and very bright red-pink colour (to my eye anyway).

You can't confuse Antares with Mars for two reasons, (a) it is much closer in the sky to Jupiter, and (b) it is about half as bright this time around, the name "rival of Mars" works better when we aren't passing Mars at its perihelion as is the case this summer (every 15-17 years we get a particularly close opposition with Mars and this year is it for the current cycle although 2020 will have nearly the same brightness a couple of months later into the year).

Also the waxing nearly full moon should be located just above and a little to the right of Antares tonight, then above and to the left of it Monday night. Antares never gets as high as the planets because it is about 4 degrees below the ecliptic plane and for example Jupiter in that segment of its orbit is 1 degree above it, Saturn a few years ago was two degrees above, so they don't pass very close, although the Moon at certain points in its orbital cycle (not anywhere near now) gets close from our perspective and can occult (move in front of) this bright star which is also "Alpha Scorpii." (the principal star in the constellation Scorpio).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Whats the relevance of Dew Point in this weather? I've only seen ye mention it around snow events before

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Whats the relevance of Dew Point in this weather? I've only seen ye mention it around snow events before

We want the dewpoint as far away from temperature as possible. As they get closer together we get mist and then finally fog. Also the closer DP is to temp, the higher the relative humidity and the stickier it feels.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

Cool cloudy and breezy
    In Tenerife
    Cries

• Registered Users Posts: 14,512 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Wonder if there's any chance of either of these records being disturbed?

Highest air temperature: 33.3°C at Kilkenny Castle on 26th June 1887.
    Highest air temperature recorded during the 20th Century was 32.5°C at Boora, Co. Offaly on 29th June 1976.

(from Met E website)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

What an end to a perfect day.

14.3C here near Tralee

Pic 22.20

0QjfMJT.jpg?1

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Great conditions for sky watching too, Venus very bright in the west-northwest (will soon have set so possibly have a look next few nights, it will be there all summer) ... Jupiter low in south at sunset and low in southwest by 11 p.m. (where that's later than sunset), Antares quite low in south around midnight, bright red when seen in dark skies, then Saturn rising around 11 p.m. and prominent in south by 0100h, full moon night of 27th-28th will be close to Saturn in sky on late evening of 28th then you can't miss seeing Mars rising after 0100h and very bright red-pink colour (to my eye anyway).
    Mercury is also visible until 11.15pm, with binoculars and a clear northwest horizon. Will be easier to locate in July.

• Advertisement

I also wonder if the Northern Ireland record will be broken. I think the record there is only 30.8C. It's unlikely, but possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Posted in the drought thread that Coolmeelagh Woods between Carnew and Bunclody is on fire tonight. Just saw a video of it and it's a major fire.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

txint_uk_kkv0.png

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Dewpoint is a direct measure of how much water vapour there is per kg of air (i.e. the mixing ratio). Higher mixing ratio means higher dewpoint. Dewpoints above around 15 °C start to feel muggy/close/heavy...whatever strange terms we use in Ireland!

454135.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

What an end to a perfect day.

14.3C here near Tralee

Pic 22.20

0QjfMJT.jpg?1

Lovely photo, similar image here at sunset tonight in south county Dublin

Humidity low again tomorrow ( ARPEGE showing the lowest ). As has been mentioned more cloud about tomorrow and as a result slower to release the temperature tomorrow night, more so inland.

aromehd-19-27-0_vvv6.png

tempresult_smq8.gif

aromehd-41-32-0_cjt5.png

• Registered Users Posts: 23,757 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Almost 18c here in north Dublin at the moment. Feels close enough.

This will be the last of the comparatively cool nights. I have my trusty fan at the ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Tonight we raise the dead.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Made the most of this superb (not even) day at the Bray Seafront. Loved it!

IHefu6I.jpg

bIXHsBJ.jpg

iumaDg1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Hirlam going for general maxima of 26-28c over the east midlands tomorrow, and similar again for the midwest on Tuesday:

2mtemp_023.jpg?2018062418

2mtemp_047.jpg?2018062418

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Met Eireanns symbols forecasting 31c for here Tuesday. Map shows 32c over Tralee.

I love the heat, but that's bringing out the fear a little!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,425 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Met Eireanns symbols forecasting 31c for here tomorrow.

I love the heat, but that's bringing out the fear a little!

I know how you feel. The only time I've ever experienced 30c was on holidays as a kid in the south of France. I remember feeling like I was in an oven

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Akrasia wrote: »
    I know how you feel. The only time I've ever experienced 30c was on holidays as a kid in the south of France. I remember feeling like I was in an oven

Ah I've felt hotter, last year was 36c in Lanzarote and year before 40c in Turkey, but in those temperatures I always took advantage of air conditioned accommodation, shops etc. Plus alcohol was a bit of an incentive to sleep!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

30C with low humidity is fine as long as you're out of direct sunlight. I've experienced up to 44C with extremely low humidity yet the hottest and most uncomfortable I've ever felt was a ~30-32C day near the equator with stifling humidity.

I find humidity is much more a factor in how comfortable the heat is than the temperature. Tomorrow looks a touch higher than today but still fairly low in the west at around 30-50% so should be bearable for most people

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Ah I've felt hotter, last year was 36c in Lanzarote and year before 40c in Turkey, but in those temperatures I always took advantage of air conditioned accommodation, shops etc. Plus alcohol was a bit of an incentive to sleep!

Air conditioning really does make a difference. I've experienced 46c before with air conditioning and fans and it was fine in the apartment. I was in Istanbul Ataturk Airport two years ago and the temperature there was 29c but it felt unbearably hot because of how busy it was and the lack of air conditioning in the place where I was.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,757 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

It's not just air conditioning, Irish homes are (of course) designed to keep the heat in...which doesn't help matters on sticky nights.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

30C with low humidity is fine as long as you're out of direct sunlight. I've experienced up to 44C with extremely low humidity yet the hottest and most uncomfortable I've ever felt was a ~30-32C day near the equator with stifling humidity.

I find humidity is much more a factor in how comfortable the heat is than the temperature. Tomorrow looks a touch higher than today but still fairly low in the west at around 30-50% so should be bearable for most people

I don't know what the temps were, but inland Cuba was sweltering and felt like breathing in hot water. Your body motion really slows down, like moving through treacle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

If at any point over the course of the coming week anyone feels like complaining about the heat, just think back to a few months ago when it was freezing cold, the electricity was gone, there was no running water for showers etc, and you were heading to bed at about 6pm in order to fall asleep early simply in the hope of getting another day closer to normality resuming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Seriously, it's too hot :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement