Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turning very warm/hot, heatwave conditions likely; Sunday 24th -->

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Paully D wrote: »
    If at any point over the course of the coming week anyone feels like complaining about the heat, just think back to a few months ago when it was freezing cold, the electricity was gone, there was no running water for showers etc, and you were heading to bed at about 6pm in order to fall asleep early simply in the hope of getting another day closer to normality resuming.
    It's crazy to think that the maximum temperature tomorrow could be up to 32 degrees higher than the max for 28 February.

IF the record is broken this summer, we'd go from the coldest spring day on record to the hottest day on record in the same year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Nature really is a strange creature , but this year seems to have been giving us some fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Artane2002 wrote: »
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Personally, I don't think we had a late winter. We had northerlies in November, a slider event on the 10th of December and plenty of cold and frost in December, better than the last two winters!

December 10th.... ugh. :rolleyes:

December was a very meh month to me.
    Everyone was moaning how it was the longest winter they can remember. It started in November and continued without respite until well into Spring.

We are LONG overdue a good August. We have had some decent Junes and Julys, only for it to go downhill in August.

August 2016 was quite a warm month but it was also humid and cloudy. If only it was sunnier and less Atlantic influenced.
    And a half-decent northwesterly incursion in January if I remember correctly, brought quite a bit of snow to most of the country for a day or two. Paled in comparison with Storm Emma/Beast from the East obviously.

Certainly decent for a northwesterly with huge flakes.
    Damo76 wrote: »
    2017 was mixed, hot at 1st with a cool ending and followed by a late winter. I see similarities with the following 2 years; Summer 1983 hot followed by cold winter 83/84. Summer 1984 was warm followed by a mixed winter of 1984/1985 mild to start, severe in the middle and average towards the end. A severe January or February is long overdue. Maybe 2019.

Think you might be onto something there. 1984 had a very zonal (but cold) based January with several snowfalls even as far south as Cork and east as Dublin, a very dull and wet (sometimes cold) March. April 1984 was far superior than 2018 though. Wouldn't mind a Summer 1984.

Imagine Winter 2018-19 being similar to 1984-85, oh be lovely!
    Paully D wrote: »
    You were heading to bed at about 6pm in order to fall asleep early simply in the hope of getting another day closer to normality resuming.

What :P, I spent my nights either walking out in the snow or stay up lamp posting watching throughout. I had a large lack of sleep during the period thanks to my enthusiasm and excitement of the event. I didn't want to miss out.

Think 2018 has been my poorest sleeping year in general thanks to the interest of the weather this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Artane2002

December 10th was frustrating for here but lovely for others. I thought it was a nice month apart from the week before Christmas when the Azores high ridged in giving cloudy, mild days. I definitely enjoyed the clear, frosty, dark mornings and I think I saw snow falling on one of the days. It was my least favourite of the three winter months.

This is a strange topic to discuss in a hot weather thread :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Latest DMI Harmonie still going for 30c + on Tues, and this time, over a wider area:

5b30240084040.png

Battle of the models about to commence.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Mod Note:Back on topic please, can discuss winter weather in other threads.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

JCX BXC wrote:
    Met Eireanns symbols forecasting 31c for here Tuesday. Map shows 32c over Tralee.

JCX BXC wrote:
    I love the heat, but that's bringing out the fear a little!

20 is plenty :D

GFS 18z keeps the high pressures coming to Ireland one by one throughout its run and temperatures staying in the low 20s for much of the first week of July. Quite different to the 12z run.

Still too much uncertainty and that looking at individual runs like this is practically useless right now with too many flip flops.

tempresult_xsc7.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 40,023 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I'm curious sryanbruen but am I'm right in saying that forecasts past ten days are guesswork or so Met Eireann say. I mean if you are a professional meteorologists it's not blind guesswork but from experience of trends and being able to read the charts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

I have to fly out of Dublin Airport tomorrow afternoon. Can anyone advise me if flights will go if it starts to snow?

Sorry, couldn't help it.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,023 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

An Ri rua wrote: »
    I have to fly out of Dublin Airport tomorrow afternoon. Can anyone advise me if flights will go if it starts to snow?

Sorry, couldn't help it.....

Snow ? In the name of jaysus where is it snowing in June ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Snow ? In the name of jaysus where is it snowing in June ?

GratefulBeneficialFreshwatereel-size_restricted.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭2forjoy

Drove an hour to the beach today and got burnt quickly. Only noticed this tonight.
    Be careful out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,757 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

sryanbruen wrote: »
    GFS 18z keeps the high pressures coming to Ireland one by one throughout its run and temperatures staying in the low 20s for much of the first week of July. Quite different to the 12z run.

Still too much uncertainty and that looking at individual runs like this is practically useless right now with too many flip flops.

tempresult_xsc7.gif

It's very possible this period of warm or hot weather could last for the forseeable future but it depends on the jet stream ultimately and the ridge that the Euro models are starting to big up for next weekend.

Interesting times ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

My daughter went to Dollymount beach and said it was quite cold in the wind and she had to wear a jumper, as I've said before an easterly in summer on the east coast is just an irritation.

My daughter went to Dollymount beach and said it was quite cold in the wind and she had to wear a jumper, as I've said before an easterly in summer on the east coast is just an irritation.

Well I had only a t-shirt and shorts at Bray Seafront. I felt no chill at all.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I'm curious sryanbruen but am I'm right in saying that forecasts past ten days are guesswork or so Met Eireann say. I mean if you are a professional meteorologists it's not blind guesswork but from experience of trends and being able to read the charts.

Yes it's guesswork a lot of the time especially more than 3 months ahead. You'd be very lucky to find all the long range methodology not diverging against one another and show the same solution to giving you an easy to make prediction. Anyway, it's just all part of the fun of long range forecasting (though sometimes frustrating as a lot of things are in life) as I say and I love the challenge of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

It does make a nice change from the countless years of muck that we had to put up with in the north west coming in off the atlantic. Would drive you to depression. Long may it continue.

00z UKMO and GFS continue the hot and dry theme beyond next weekend...

UKMOPEU00_144_1.png

Storms should stay to the south for the time being...but it does look like eventually they will move north from the Bay of Biscay. Could be spectacular lightning if it happens.

Latest Apegge and Harmonie still going all out this morning, with former going with temps as high as 34c by Wed, and 32c by Tuesday on the latter. Consider the more modest 24s to 28s by the GFS run this morning for the same days. This is the equivalent of a 14-18c forecast by a global and a 22-24c by a hi-res- for the same day. Something is amiss bigtime.

New Moon

• Advertisement

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Latest Apegge and Harmonie still going all out this morning, with former going with temps as high as 34c by Wed, and 32c by Tuesday on the latter. Consider the more modest 24s to 28s by the GFS run this morning for the same days. This is the equivalent of a 14-18c forecast by a global and a 22-24c by a hi-res- for the same day. Something is amiss bigtime.

tenor.gif?itemid=4372615

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Yes it's guesswork a lot of the time especially more than 3 months ahead. You'd be very lucky to find all the long range methodology not diverging against one another and show the same solution to giving you an easy to make prediction. Anyway, it's just all part of the fun of long range forecasting (though sometimes frustrating as a lot of things are in life) as I say and I love the challenge of it.

They say always trust your own chilling hunches... :(

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=106913910&postcount=506

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Status Yellow - High-Temperature warning for Ireland
    Temperatures will hit 27 degrees Celsius in places today and are expected to exceed it on subsequent days, this week.

Issued: Monday 25 June 2018 06:00

Updated: Monday 25 June 2018 06:00

Valid from Monday 25 June 2018 06:00 to Friday 29 June 2018 21:00

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭aisling86

There is rain showing up on radar....was a bit shocked when my rain alarm went off!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,400 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Would you stop whinging!?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

aisling86 wrote: »
    There is rain showing up on radar....was a bit shocked when my rain alarm went off!!

That's not rain. It's what's called anaprop (anomalous propogation), due to the temperature inversion of the anticyclone.

lawred2 wrote: »
    Would you stop whinging!?

That is not whinging, simply stating facts!! OK? OK!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller

aisling86 wrote: »

Yes!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,400 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Graces7 wrote: »
    That is not whinging, simply stating facts!! OK? OK!

I was down Portmarnock yesterday.. Saw not one jumper being worn. And not much of a chill either.

• Advertisement

lawred2 wrote: »
    I was down Portmarnock yesterday.. Saw not one jumper being worn. And not much of a chill either.

:confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement