Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turning very warm/hot, heatwave conditions likely; Sunday 24th -->

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

A fair amount of cloud over here ; will that bring the temperature down?

West mayo offshore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Got absolutely scalded yesterday with factor 30 cream on. Ankles are so burnt they are swollen. Going to be a long week

Got absolutely scalded yesterday with factor 30 cream on. Ankles are so burnt they are swollen. Going to be a long week

Bucket of cold water?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

cool enogh in sligo. id say 19 or 20c

The chill is still burning away

Tuesday to Friday will be serious

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Cloudy with a thin layer of high cloud here in Dublin City Centre. The sun is hazy, it's managing to break through the clouds a little. I don't know what temperature it is but it feels nice, there's a gentle breeze too. According to the weather app on my phone it is 24c but that it questionable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Artane2002 wrote: »
    Cloudy with a thin layer of high cloud here in Dublin City Centre. The sun is hazy, it's managing to break through the clouds a little. I don't know what temperature it is but it feels nice, there's a gentle breeze too. According to the weather app on my phone it is 24c but that it questionable.

http://en.allmetsat.com/metar-taf/united-kingdom-ireland.php?icao=EIDW

always reliable current info for Airports.

Dublin 23 deg
    Casement 24 deg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,643 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Beautiful weather in Carlow at the moment. Mostly blue sky, very warm but doesn't feel humid at all. Could get used to this!

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭jackrussel

Was climbing the galtees yesterday, had to come back down after one peak - was just too hot up there. Ground was near bone dry. There was a few people up there I met that were running low on water, unbelieveable. Gave them most of mine before i headed down. The tar on the road below was beginning to bubble. Still got burnt after coating myself in 50. Crazy stuff

also still a NW wind here.

But veering South later

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 145 ✭✭BliainanAir

Simply Beautiful weather!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Is it me, or are the forecasted temps all over the place on met.ie? Constantly changing.

A pleasant 17C here in Galway, although 25 is forecast?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 mrsnrub2.0

Sun has disappeared in Sandymount.

A bit of a breeze so back on with the hoody!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Disappointing at Grange for much of the day so far with a lot of cloud.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

sdanseo wrote: »
    Artane2002 wrote: »

http://en.allmetsat.com/metar-taf/united-kingdom-ireland.php?icao=EIDW

always reliable current info for Airports.

Dublin 23 deg
    Casement 24 deg
    I always use the Phoenix Park weather station on met.ie as my temperature reference for the city centre as Dublin Airport often has weather or temperatures that are not reflective of the urban areas.

One question I always have during warm spells is that Malin Head nearly consistently always seems to be about 10 degrees cooler than virtually every other weather station. I've noticed this during the heatwaves in 2013 and 2016 as well. Yesterday it maxed out at 14.3C, 10 to 12 degrees lower than most other stations even though it has over 15 hours of sunshine. Even right now, it's only reporting 15C, 11 degrees lower than what Oak Park in Carlow is now reporting (26C).  Why does this area of Ireland not benefit even remotely from such warm weather?

https://www.met.ie/latest-reports/observations

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

Some high cloud about now. Sunshine has gone a bit hazy and temperature has dropped to 24.2C after reaching a high of 25.7C.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,424 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Layer of high cloud overhead here currently, about 20C, pretty normal for the time of year.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

High so far today north east of Kilkenny city is 27.6C, currently 27.4C

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

very hazy and slightly cloudy at times, breeze has picked up slightly. Temperature now 25C.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Sunshine has become hazy with a nice bit of upper level cloud, currently 25.3c in West Clare though so lovely and hot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

ongarboy wrote: »
    One question I always have during warm spells is that Malin Head nearly consistently always seems to be about 10 degrees cooler than virtually every other weather station. I've noticed this during the heatwaves in 2013 and 2016 as well. Yesterday it maxed out at 14.3C, 10 to 12 degrees lower than most other stations even though it has over 15 hours of sunshine. Even right now, it's only reporting 15C, 11 degrees lower than what Oak Park in Carlow is now reporting (26C). Why does this area of Ireland not benefit even remotely from such warm weather?

It's because of its location and the cooling effect of the sea breeze: https://goo.gl/maps/jeq6Fe2xyR92

It's almost completely surrounded by the sea. Air warms up much quicker over land than it does over sea so as Ireland warms up, the rising air creates a vacuum over the country which sucks in cooler from the sea. There are times when it can be warm in Malin Head and that's when the dominant airflow is moving up from the south, but we are in the center of an anticyclone, so there is no dominant airflow.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

ongarboy wrote: »
    I always use the Phoenix Park weather station on met.ie as my temperature reference for the city centre as Dublin Airport often has weather or temperatures that are not reflective of the urban areas.

One question I always have during warm spells is that Malin Head nearly consistently always seems to be about 10 degrees cooler than virtually every other weather station. I've noticed this during the heatwaves in 2013 and 2016 as well. Yesterday it maxed out at 14.3C, 10 to 12 degrees lower than most other stations even though it has over 15 hours of sunshine. Even right now, it's only reporting 15C, 11 degrees lower than what Oak Park in Carlow is now reporting (26C).  Why does this area of Ireland not benefit even remotely from such warm weather?

That is the cooling effect of the sea. Malin head juts out quite a bit into the sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Artane2002

I'm outside Foxrock Church right now where it is quite cloudy too. You can clearly see sea mist at the Irish Sea if you go up to a reasonable altitude.

met

Oak Pk 27c
    Mt Dillon 26c

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Just hit 28.0C, NE Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

I’m at 28c in the shade now in Kildare. :O

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

High cloud in cork city. 24.9 degrees though, hopefully it will hit the 25. Warmer then yesterday!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

They must have heard of me sitting outside here with my feet in a bucket of cold water ;) It is a great way to keep cool

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Temp forecast chart for Wed afternoon:

5b30cd1025c3a.png

s05-isotermlegend.gif

Looks like Ireland will be bearing the brunt.

New Moon

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement