Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turning very warm/hot, heatwave conditions likely; Sunday 24th -->

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

25 here in Enniscorthy,the high cloud that rolled in is burning off and temperature has risen again. It dipped to a Baltic 23c an hour ago. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,757 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Sea breeze not as notable as yesterday in north Dublin.

24.3c.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

Highest so far in Kildare is 28c.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,152 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

27c in Kilkenny
    Hugh Middity is 36

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Currently 29.2C as we are in a spell of prolonged sunshine. NE Kilkenny.

The wind is ESE and I am sheltered by hills from that direction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

Currently 21c in Sligo

This is perfect

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Got up to 24.9C earlier here near Tralee , high / mid cloud with a light sea breeze now bringing temp down now to 22.2C.

Rh down to 44% and now 57%

temp_uk_xol8.png

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

Met Eireann going for isolated showers breaking out during the day tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Roscrea - gone very hazy, bordering on cloudy!

Brief peak so far of 27.9°C, currently 27.4°C Humidity 40%

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭FuzzyZoeller

Flirted with 30C in my back garden in Naas... So near :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

High cloud is now dense enough to stop the sun casting shadows. I fear this will do nothing but keep the heat trapped in for the evening and coming night.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Flirted with 30C in my back garden in Naas... So near :D

I'm at 29.6C here and I was starting to doubt the accuracy even though I am using a Davis Vantage Pro 2 weather station, but good to see others have achieved similar.

RobertKK wrote: »
    I'm at 29.6C here and I was starting to doubt the accuracy even though I am using a Davis Vantage Pro 2 weather station, but good to see others have achieved similar.

I think, as Pad said yesterday, that we need much more stations around the country as temps such as yours today will not be officially 'registered'. For example, yesterday, Met Eireann said that top temps yesterday only reached 27c, but some reports on here reached higher than that. Unfortuently, we all don't live near an official station out in the middle of nowhere which makes me wonder, are 'official' stations really all that representative of the conditions around the country?

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Gone very hazy in Cork City. Still warm however at 24.3 degrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

29.4c was recorded at St James' Park, London today beating the April maximum of 29.1c at last. Still time to reach 30c. The UK Met Office said the expected high today was 27c.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Micks weather station in Waterford says 24, high of 24.5. I work outside for my sins and it really was cooking with the lack of any breeze in the city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Disappointing at Grange for much of the day so far with a lot of cloud.

That’s what the hot weather in summer 2003 was like. It was classed as hazy sunshine but was much closer to cloud as opposed to haze that is basically non-existent. It looked overcast every day whilst being mid-to-high 20s. Horrible weather. Though 2003 was much more humid. This is much more pleasant due to lower humidity and it’s quite bright out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

RobertKK wrote: »

Ive my Davis sensor stripped and put in the Stevenson's screen. Just gone 28.0c here now over the border in South Laois. I did notice when the Davis was out and independent it could go to 0.7c above the manual thermometers. Since it's move into the screen it's lagging behind the manual thermometers by 0.2c or 0.3c on some days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    I think, as Pad said yesterday, that we need much more stations around the country as temps such as yours today will not be officially 'registered'. For example, yesterday, Met Eireann said that top temps yesterday only reached 27c, but some reports on here reached higher than that. Unfortuently, we all don't live near an official station out in the middle of nowhere which makes me wonder, are 'official' stations really all that representative of the conditions around the country?

Theres a disproportionate amount of coastal stations as well, someone mentioned Malin Head earlier which, while useful for wind readings is useless for temperature as its only representative of the immediate headland and almost constant year round. Same could be said for Belmullet, Mace Head, Roches Point, Sherkin Island etc though the effect doesn't seem as extreme. A lot of the climatological stations record temperature though they don't seem to be publicly available

As for conditions here today, warm with a lot of high cloud and a steady breeze, 25C going by my nearest station but I wouldn't describe it as hot. Nice and pleasant to sit out in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭esposito

As for conditions here today, warm with a lot of high cloud and a steady breeze, 25C going by my nearest station but I wouldn't describe it as hot. Nice and pleasant to sit out in

Yeah, I would personally consider 28C + as hot.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

NAVGEM still wants to flirt 30s on Wednesday but widely wants 30s on Thursday and Friday, mid 30s in some inland areas
    18062818_2500.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 23,757 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Latest from the UK Met Office model shows things staying very warm or hot right through but the air mass becoming more unstable and humid and some thunderstorms possible by Sunday.

UKMOPEU12_144_1.png

Theres a disproportionate amount of coastal stations as well, someone mentioned Malin Head earlier which, while useful for wind readings is useless for temperature as its only representative of the immediate headland and almost constant year round. Same could be said for Belmullet, Mace Head, Roches Point, Sherkin Island etc though the effect doesn't seem as extreme. A lot of the climatological stations record temperature though they don't seem to be publicly available

I think headland stations such as Malin Hd & Mace Hd are useful for seafarers/fishermen etc, but not for us on the land. Mace Hd, which is in the same country as me, is about as representative of Co. Galway as a whole as station located in Iceland would be. Same with Malin Hd, the difference between readings from this station and Finner Camp in the south of the country, esp regarding rainfall/temp etc, can be very stark.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭crx===

27c in Kilkenny
    Hugh Middity is 36

Wish him a happy birthday for me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I always thought Waterford should have a station - in the SE it's either Rosslare right on the tip with a windy, cooling body of water on two sides or Carlow Oakpark which is obviously well inland so prone to extremes re fog in winter and stilted heat in summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

I always thought Waterford should have a station - in the SE it's either Rosslare right on the tip with a windy, cooling body of water on two sides or Carlow Oakpark which is obviously well inland so prone to extremes re fog in winter and stilted heat in summer.

Waterford does have a station - Dungarvan but it's not synoptic nor is its data available to the public (until the month is over and is added to the historical database on their site).

Rosslare has been closed since April 2008, it's been Johnstown Castle as the Wexford synoptic station since.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,023 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The Cloud is breaking up here in cork city and blue skies are back and the temperature is rising again(well it feels warmer than it did earlier)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Waterford does have a station - Dungarvan but it's not synoptic nor is its data available to the public (until the month is over and is added to the historical database on their site).

Rosslare has been closed since April 2008, it's been Johnstown Castle as the Wexford synoptic station since.

There's a station at the airport

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 145 ✭✭BliainanAir

The lack of 'official' sites is a pain.

I'd venture the 32.5C June 1976 recording, the hottest of the 20th century, was equalled or surpassed many times.

For example, July 17-20th 1989. June 26th-29th 1995. The first few days of August 1995 and possibly 16-20 August 1995. Not to mention July 2013 or early August 1990.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

29.4c was recorded at St James' Park, London today beating the April maximum of 29.1c at last. Still time to reach 30c. The UK Met Office said the expected high today was 27c.

April?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement