Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turning very warm/hot, heatwave conditions likely; Sunday 24th -->

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

sdanseo wrote: »
    April?

Yes April up to today still held the highest maximum temperature of the year in the UK of 29.1c.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Disappointed to walk out of work to see thick cloud and reading of possible showeres tomorrow. I thought it was blue skies until at least Friday.. still 25c now so not really complaing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Latest 'Harmonie' temps for my town on Weds:

7B0myOf.png

35c

I'll say that again. 35c.

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

It felt very pleasant today in north Dublin. Low humidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,424 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

This Pyrenees plume is taking the edge of the heat here for sure as the direct sunlight isn't countering the sea breeze as normal. It may even bring rain to Cork/Kerry later from the looks of the radar, could use some of that here.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,757 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Disappointed to walk out of work to see thick cloud and reading of possible showeres tomorrow. I thought it was blue skies until at least Friday.. still 25c now so not really complaing.

There won't be any showers tomorrow.;)

Cloud will be dispersing as well so not as hazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭morphman

Heading to achill on Saturday..what's it gonna be like weather wise??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

Roastin

We are in a great spell of weather

Only blips like cool Sundays in NW which happen weekly in these set ups

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Timistry

pad199207 wrote: »
    I’m at 28c in the shade now in Kildare. :O

Note that all temps are in the shade

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

ARPEGE has been as near as makes no difference to hitting the nail on the head yesterday and today at 24hrs although it did suggest 29-31 at a longer range for today.

Now it's predicting 33 on Wednesday and 34 degrees both Thursday and Friday. Maybe reduce by 2 degrees or so to temper that. It's showing temps staying above 30 degrees nearly up to midnighg, duvets will NOT be required.

Harmonie and NAVGEM showing similar as posted by others.

GFS now showing more widespread 26s and 27s - add 3 or 4 to these (which is odd because as little as six weeks ago I found it very accurate on the continent but it seems not to be able to handle our little island)

tempresult_zbh3.gif

tempresult_hut0.gif

tempresult_cqv7.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Screen maximum temperature of 28.2c in Durrow (Laois).

the radar on me phone is picking up rain 100 miles south of the cork coast. must be broke.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,400 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Some high haze over Portmarnock but sun still getting through it..

Very warm and a remarkably absent 'chill' breeze

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Siobhan Ryan said we could see the highest ever temperature recorded in Ireland this week, so 33.3C could be broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

It got up to 25.8C in Castlebar today, unlike the last spell the humidity has been very low so far, currently 33% compared to nearer 70% at the same hour in the last spell.

I'll say it again maybe NAVGEM the other day was the most accurate.

RobertKK wrote: »
    Siobhan Ryan said we could see the highest ever temperature recorded in Ireland this week, so 33.3C could be broken.
    Where was that said? TV, Radio?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,400 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

RobertKK wrote: »

Jaypurs

There's climate change I can get onboard with...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Danno wrote: »

RTE Six One News

On the 6-1 news.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

When it comes to temperatures, official stations are official for a reason. Many of the high reports here are amateur stations in what I assume are back gardens. These will always read higher than an official station with standard exposure, and that's been the case again today. While the coverage of standard synoptic stations reporting hourly is not as dense as we'd like, there are plenty of approved climatological stations (e.g. Danno) that will feature in the monthly report, if they manage to report a proper high reading.

Personal stations are great for reporting conditions in your garden, where it will always get warmer due to buildings, walls, hedges, trees, concrete, etc., but they are useless for comparing with those in the official network. So as it stands, 27 seems to be roughly the highest of the 35 official stations on the island of Ireland today, and there's no reason to assume that there has been several degrees higher in between.

When it comes to temperatures, official stations are official for a reason. Many of the high reports here are amateur stations in what I assume are back gardens. These will always read higher than an official station with standard exposure, and that's been the case again today.

Spot on. I recently gutted my Davis station and put the temperature sensor inside the Stevensons screen for higher accuracy. It used to typically record maxes +0.7c on days like today, since the move it records -0.2c maxes, alot more accurate but still not the 100% that is provided by the manual thermometers. The sensor is also +0.2c on minimums too, so it's not a calibration issue.

Having said all that, we now have Shannon reporting 27 at 18:30, increasing during the evening, as is so common in this type of weather. I believe the screen there is located near a carpark extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

What is up with the 3 small rainbows in the sky but instead of the usual way they go, they are horizontally across the sky. Very weird looking

ah come on ...several degrees

ok maybe sheltered back gardens but on a like for like basis id say 29c was maybe the top temperature if even that.

Wednesday will be well over 30c though. Wow.

I told my wife Id say some year soon Ireland will get near 35c and she laughed me outta the house. I said theres slow climate change. It is getting a tiny bit warmer each decade so why not.

Who will have the last laugh or will 32.5c mean a draw?

Spot on. I recently gutted my Davis station and put the temperature sensor inside the Stevensons screen for higher accuracy. It used to typically record maxes +0.7c on days like today, since the move it records -0.2c maxes, alot more accurate but still not the 100% that is provided by the manual thermometers. The sensor is also +0.2c on minimums too, so it's not a calibration issue.

My Oregon consistently read 3-4 degrees higher than nearby Weston Airport on sunny days (before it packed it in, so it's now an Ore-gone). I've no doubt that's what it was in my garden area, and the number of times it hit 30 on days like these was pretty high (a couple of times per year). I would always go with the Weston figure, though. It's like my sister sending me a photo of a street thermometer housed in a black metal box attached to a pharmacy wall in southern Spain reading 54 degrees and then not accepting that nearby Malaga Airport's 35 was more correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

What I said up with the 3 small rainbows in the sky but instead of the usual way they go, they are horizontally across the sky. Very weird looking

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circumhorizontal_arc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

How is a station, located in the often very exposed middle on nowhere, representative of those of us who live in towns etc? 'Amateur' stations, at least some of the higher quality ones, give very accurate readings. My back garden temperature, as is everybody else's, are every bit as important as a reading in some exposed field 15-20 miles away where nobody actually lives.

And anyway, the bigger point here is why there is so few 'official' stations reporting? Look, for example, that the big gaps in official data in the SE of the country in particular. Does a temp reading at Oak Park mean that 27 was the common temp in the entire SE inland region? No.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

It's much brighter now and bigger.
    I've used my pint of Guinness as a size reference.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    How is a station, located in the often very exposed middle on nowhere, representative of those of us who live in towns etc? 'Amateur' stations, at least some of the higher quality ones, give very accurate readings. My back garden temperature, as is everybody else's, are every bit as important as a reading in some exposed field 15-20 miles away where nobody actually lives.

And anyway, the bigger point here is why there is so few 'official' stations reporting? Look, for example, that the big gaps in official data in the SE of the country in particular. Does a temp reading at Oak Park mean that 27 was the common temp in the entire SE inland region? No.

I always thought Cork airport doesn't reflect conditions in the city, being at a higher altitude.

These things can't be very expensive, right?

Anyway, very pleasant day in Galway city, not hot by any means, and not sweating with the 67rh.

Maybe that will change as the week goes on.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement