Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turning very warm/hot, heatwave conditions likely; Sunday 24th -->

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Quite chaotic looking satellite imagery today.

Contrails and Virga Streaks. Was in Cork this morning and struck by all the contrails and later returned to Tralee and there were long streaks of Virga coming from cirrus I would imagine , judging by the length of the strands as shows up on the Sat Pic.

18C atm here near Tralee quite cloudy.

PTWaCo7.jpg?1

acpFyOG.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

There is still the issue of radiation shielding, as outlined by Danno. A Stevenson's Screen is the only approved housing. My Oregon had its own shield but I know it still read a little high in sunshine.

I agree a stevenson screen is the only approved housing for a thermometer, pity they aren't the cheapest meteorologist equipment to buy.
    Yesterday and Saturday it was similar to Oak Park which is the nearest met station but today had me wondering as the difference was sizeable and if there was heat inversion from the valleys below. Maybe I am totally wrong.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Just to add my tuppence that I dont get the point of telling us minimum overnight temps in summer. people hear them and think it is the evening forecast. however if the min temp overnight is 12c, that is probably the temp at 4am or later. At midnight when people are still out it will be 15 or 16c degrees.

Lovely. I'm not one for direct heat during the afternoon, but I do love the balmy evenings. Not that often we get that.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I always take the official reports lightly anyway, microclimate can have a strong influence, and it's how you feel that's the important thing.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

On June 8th, the two nearest official station to me recorded 0.6mm and 0.0mm. Representative? I recorded 24.4mm that day and nearly all in an hour, but because this isn't official, it did not occur at all (which is basically the logic I am dealing with here) and . maybe it didn't, maybe I imagined the whole thing. I mean, Claremorris got 0.0mm that day, which is the only thing that matters.

New Moon

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

After a bright sunny morning and early afternoon it has been disappointing since 4 pm. Thick cloud and even looks like it could rain. Certainly not what was being forecast. Hopefully tomorrow will be sunny all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

After a bright sunny morning and early afternoon it has been disappointing since 4 pm. Thick cloud and even looks like it could rain. Certainly not what was being forecast. Hopefully tomorrow will be sunny all day.

There is rain showing up on radar on the coast west of Clonakilty.

High Temperatures migrating Westwards over the next few days. Looks like we aint seen nothing yet!

6igBsRi.png

3lbwRq8.png

wdkKGkC.png

TuxAl3x.png

TXxROpF.png

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

It's just not that hot, I was out in my aran jumper with a room temp creans earlier and threw on a scarf after 7. The dogs were glad to be in the car with the windows up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,727 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Same in Galway. Talk about dissapointing after all the big talk the papers had.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,023 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Siobhan was barley keeping her excitement in check there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

Was a disappointing day here too got increasingly dull as the day went on and some dark clouds out now. Still very warm of course. Feels like it could rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

Not great really today.

As I said before the most accurate forecast is the satellite.

From early on it was showing cloud coming up over Ireland yet Met Eireann ignored its existence focussing on temperatures instead.

It can get up to 27c but only be that warm for half an hour and yet another day it could be 27c for 4 hours yet the met stats will still be the same.

The first port of call for me every day is the satellite because it doesnt lie.

Even though the temperature is going to get to 30 plus this week I think an odd thunderstorm and cloudy spells cannot be ruled out.

Also this weekend might be only 17 or 18c in Ulster and Sligo (which is part of Ulster on the weather usually)

e.g Cool in Ulster. its barely risen above 20c in Sligo town in this spell yet... plus we still have a NWwind. How many days is that?

Oh theres the showers forecast on Met Eireann. They finally checked out the satellite

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 145 ✭✭BliainanAir

pjohnson wrote: »

This is a little like 'where's my snow?' 12 hours before Emma hit the east, or people talking about how calm it was 10 hours before Darwin arrived in Feb 2014.

It was 27.5C in Oak Park today and many 26Cs recorded. A very warm day by Irish standards and the main action is Wednesday to Friday, possibly longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Say you got your hands on an official mercury thermometer, had it calibrated with the nearest station 15 miles away, then placed it, at standard height in some large green patch in your housing estate. Would that temperature reading be 'wrong' if it read higher or lower than the same station you calibrated your themo against in future readings?

It wouldn't be 'wrong', it'd be an accurate reading for an area surrounded by tarmac and concrete that will more than likely be altered again at some point.

It wouldn't be an accurate representation of the true temperature of the airmass though, if we allowed official stations to be stuck anywhere and everywhere we'd end up with all sorts of ridiculous readings that are entirely dependant on the immediate surroundings of the station.

I have no problem with urban stations being used, they're obviously useful in that they give a better reflection of what most of us actually feel and I'm sure some of them are fairly accurate overall but scientifically there's too many variables and influences for them to be taken as an official data set.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

looks like we have seen the peak of it here on the east coast. Cooler onshore east breezes on the east coast over the next few days bring temps back to the low to mid 20's over the next few days.

With regard to weather stations and the points Gaoth Laidir is making, yes a lot of it is true about back gardens in concrete and tarmac towns. But i still feel many areas, due to their natural topography, aren't being included. Danno hit 28.2C, a good 0.7C above the official Met Eireann tweeted Oak Park high.

Gonzo wrote: »
    looks like we have seen the peak of it here on the east coast. Cooler onshore east breezes on the east coast over the next few days bring temps back to the low to mid 20's over the next few days.

For this phase of the warm spell but the high will shift around and who's to say that at some stage next week the east will see the high temps. August 1995 was very like that. Everyone got a slice of the action..not too sure about Malin Head! This pattern of continued returning high pressure is similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

pjohnson wrote:

This is continental European summer high weather we're enjoying and tbh, it is normal to have muggy hot conditions with mid to high level cloud

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

I would say my station maxed out at 20.4c today.

in July 2013 is was very near 30c on it. 29.8c I think.

Then on July 19th another year since it was 28.9c

So if I break 30c id say it will be official but think that heat wont reach the NW.

Yes I would say Wednesday to Friday peak.

Wednesday and Thursday 30 plus then 28 or 29c Friday and mid twenties at the weekend bar Ulster.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,152 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Flirting with high teens in back garden now, sun is down.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Very high cloud here in Castlebar, a FedEx 777 passing over a short time ago seemed to leave a contrail under the high level cloud
    36137192_2153126041371174_2563170953936764928_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=3201ecf06be7e2c7ad5114e653ce3ec8&oe=5BB9C5DB

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Very high cloud here in Castlebar, a FedEx 777 passing over a short time ago seemed to leave a contrail under the high level cloud

Contrails and clouds are intertwined up there.

Very very hot out here in the Atlantic. Oppressive. Took the dog out briefly but was swiftly driven back by the hordes of Midian ie swarms of midges, Still picking them off my hot skin. Not a breath of wind or moving air and the ocean is a glassy mirror .

West Mayo offshore island

• Registered Users Posts: 23,757 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Cloud should be thinning from the south overnight, already signs of this on satellite. Hopefully we can be reasonably confident of more sunshine tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Nice picture. Those sure are some very high clouds. Going by flightradar24, the aircraft was at 32000ft while it was flying by Castlebar, so the clouds are even higher than that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

36137192_2153126041371174_2563170953936764928_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=3201ecf06be7e2c7ad5114e653ce3ec8&oe=5BB9C5DB

Those pesky chem-trails again nowhere is safe.

Joke btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

It wouldn't be 'wrong', it'd be an accurate reading for an area surrounded by tarmac and concrete that will more than likely be altered again at some point.

It wouldn't be an accurate representation of the true temperature of the airmass though, if we allowed official stations to be stuck anywhere and everywhere we'd end up with all sorts of ridiculous readings that are entirely dependant on the immediate surroundings of the station.

I have no problem with urban stations being used, they're obviously useful in that they give a better reflection of what most of us actually feel and I'm sure some of them are fairly accurate overall but scientifically there's too many variables and influences for them to be taken as an official data set.

What does it matter though if the infrastructure around your home place is altered again? True, it might have an influence on future readings but in weather like this, the present temperature is all matters to most people. As said by someone above, Met stations give a very small idea of the temps out in the countryside. Of course, for climatological purposes, this is very useful indeed, but my point, and I will stress it again, is that the current network is not very representative at all for what most people experience.

As for air mass temps, you have a point, but even still, consider that in a basic westerly Pm air mass over the country at this time of year can still bring significant temp variations across the country, with more inland and eastern regions still been able to get temps into the low 20s while the west coast can struggle to get to just 15c. It's all about location.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Yeah very pesky high cloud today made for a dissapointing afternoon after such a stunning Sunday. Very hazy past midday took a little gloss off some lovely and pleasant outdoor temperatures in D9. Plenty of good weather to come so no worries.

Hopefully tomorrow clears more as Kermit eludes too.

Nevertheless some of the remaining high cloud led too some spectacular pinks and oranges the last hour or so. Truly stunning skies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Beautiful evening in Castlebar currently.

2zqr21i.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement