Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turning very warm/hot, heatwave conditions likely; Sunday 24th -->

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Im watching it. some glow in the sky! great shot :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    You are missing my point entirely.

Is 54 degrees on a Spanish street inaccurate? How do we know either way if there is no official station there to recorded it?

Let's agree to agree to disagree.

On June 8th, the two nearest official station to me recorded 0.6mm and 0.0mm. Representative? I recorded 24.4mm that day and nearly all in an hour, but because this isn't official, it did not occur at all (which is basically the logic I am dealing with here) and . maybe it didn't, maybe I imagined the whole thing. I mean, Claremorris got 0.0mm that day, which is the only thing that matters.

You're talking about station density now, which I agree is never enough. You can't have a station in every square kilometre, though, and when it comes to heavy showers, 1 km can and does make a huge difference to rainfall figures. Over a long time period, however, this will even itself out. Anomalously high temperatures due to poor siting, type and exposure of temperature sensors, however, will not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

According to the satellite picture the cloud comes up from Biscay and goes up over Ireland and into Scotland almost completely bypassing England and Wales. There does appear to be a clearance behind it. I wonder what was the cause of it in an area of high pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

Still just nudging 20c in Kildare

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 DanielL18

Taken 30 mins ago in West Cork. Rainbow is visible in one of the photos.

Mobhi1 wrote: »
    According to the satellite picture the cloud comes up from Biscay and goes up over Ireland and into Scotland almost completely bypassing England and Wales. There does appear to be a clearance behind it. I wonder what was the cause of it in an area of high pressure.

It was orographic cloud forming related to high terrain in northern Spain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

What does it matter though if the infrastructure around your home place is altered again? True, it might have an influence on future readings but in weather like this, the present temperature is all matters to most people. As said by someone above, Met stations give a very small idea of the temps out in the countryside. Of course, for climatological purposes, this is very useful indeed, but my point, and I will stress it again, is that the current network is not very representative at all for what most people experience.

As for air mass temps, you have a point, but even still, consider that in a basic westerly Pm air mass over the country at this time of year can still bring significant temp variations across the country, with more inland and eastern regions still been able to get temps into the low 20s while the west coast can struggle to get to just 15c. It's all about location.

I think most people understand that point and I'm sure (EDIT)you understand the reasoning behind the locations of the current weather stations, so I'm a bit confused as to what you are trying to get across.

We can't have a weather station every square meter (yet, the nanobot weather stations of the future are still in development in my lab), and temperatures in urban weather stations would be subject to a huge amount of local variables eg. size, height of buildings, height/angle of sun, wind speed/direction, building materials, cloud cover etc.

I do believe that NWP will get to the point where urban micro climates are modeled more accurately but that is many years away. So in the meantime in terms of both forecasting and data collection I don't really see a viable solution to the problem.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

In Florida at the moment (Gulf Coast). Missing all the heat craic at home. Only consolation is that it's 33c here atm and just waiting on a thunderstorm to roll in.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,757 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

DOCARCH wrote: »
    In Florida at the moment (Gulf Coast). Missing all the heat craic at home. Only consolation is that it's 33c here atm and just waiting on a thunderstorm to roll in.

Thinly veiled "i'm on holiday :P "

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Thinly veiled "i'm on holiday :P "

Well....yeah! :-)

Latest GFS bringing the thundery low pressure up from Biscay later in the weekend and dragging in more warm air from the continent ahead of it. This would be entertaining storm wise.

tempresult_ckd6.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭esposito

Hopefully we get to see some of our own thunderstorms next week moving up from the Bay of Biscay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭squarecircles

A hot day and hot night in Westport on Wednesday.
    low twenties at 2am !
    potentially reaching 33:eek:

1qk4co.jpg
    osr6tv.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

But home heat is so much more enjoyable than holiday heat just as much as snow at home is better than snow abroad. Enjoy it all anyway:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,592 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Is it raining in Kerry and Clare atm?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Was quite dull in Dublin 15 from mid-afternoon onwards. No forecast I’ve looked at is saying that there will be wall-to-wall sun any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Is it raining in Kerry and Clare atm?

No it's not ;)

False radar returns, ignore all it says this week.

But home heat is so much more enjoyable than holiday heat just as much as snow at home is better than snow abroad. Enjoy it all anyway:D

Oh I know....I meant it when i said I'm missing 'the craic'....missing have my eyes glued to the Davis. You can't beat any weather extremes at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

You're talking about station density now, which I agree is never enough. You can't have a station in every square kilometre, though, and when it comes to heavy showers, 1 km can and does make a huge difference to rainfall figures. Over a long time period, however, this will even itself out. Anomalously high temperatures due to poor siting, type and exposure of temperature sensors, however, will not.

Over a long period means very little when it comes to individual events. If my younger self came back in 50 years and scanned the data for June 8th 2018, I would be given the impression that no such event occurred here, because it wasn't officially recorded.

I was talking about station density from the start. And you are right, we are not going to agree, so best we drop it.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,592 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

JCX BXC wrote: »
    No it's not ;)

False radar returns, ignore all it says this week.

Must be the midges so.. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,188 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Gonzo wrote: »
    looks like we have seen the peak of it here on the east coast. Cooler onshore east breezes on the east coast over the next few days bring temps back to the low to mid 20's over the next few days.

Good, ill be reading a book on Donabate beach if anyone wants me.

A hot day and hot night in Westport on Wednesday.
    low twenties at 2am !
    potentially reaching 33:eek:

1qk4co.jpg
    osr6tv.jpg

Tomorrow will be the day to see just how accurate this model is regarding temps. It has been very consistent now for the last couple of days, so maybe it has picked up on some finer detail that the global models missed. For me, ECM says 26c, Harmonie says 33c. Let's see which one is closer the mark.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Met Eireann have 32c for me tomorrow and 33c for me on Wednesday. Wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

Saw a bit of a sundog on the way up the m1 at 2045 today.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Walking around cork city all night, just in now. Was able to walk around in shorts and T-shirt and it’s still warm. It’s about 17 degrees still.

Both the councils cut the grass today. Most areas are totally yellow grass now with a few green patches.

Lovely sunset aswell!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

The UK forecast services going for an on-going cooling of temperatures from the the east after Thursday with temperatures lowering day by day back to the high teens and low twenties max by the beginning of next week almost everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

The UK forecast services going for an on-going cooling of temperatures from the the east after Thursday with temperatures lowering day by day back to the high teens and low twenties max by the beginning of next week almost everywhere.

ME website has 18 degrees and Rain for cork on Monday :(

ME website has 18 degrees and Rain for cork on Monday :(

Enjoy the moment for what it is man! that is a hell of a long way off yet. (too long imo!)

New Moon

• Advertisement

Eastern England certainly will see temps lowering off the north sea but probably only temporarily. Winds look set to go southeasterly off the continent again by Sunday and that would bring a rise in temperatures again.

Ireland will more than likely get to Saturday with high twenties maximums before cooling off back to low twenties. West is best this time.

It all depends on the LP moving up from the south and how that's going to be orientated for the start of the following week. That could end up being a heat pump for us or it could be the open door for the Atlantic weather systems but we don't know yet.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement