Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turning very warm/hot, heatwave conditions likely; Sunday 24th -->

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 145 ✭✭BliainanAir

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Yes exactly 31.0c. Elphin, Co. Roscommon reached 32.3c that day - the highest July temperature on record and third highest temperature on record in Ireland for any month.

Kinda forgotten month.. Very good summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I was in Las Vegas in August 2011 and the high one day there was 47 C (116 F). In that heat, metal objects like door handles can burn your skin. The night after this record breaking heat day "cooled off" to 32 C (90 F) so even walking out to the car at 0700h from an air conditioned motel room felt like mid-day heat at home.

The hottest temperature I experienced in my home location both in Ontario and later in B.C. was around 38 C.

You don't want it that hot, but I do feel that 31 or even 32 is possible tomorrow or Thursday in the inland west as a somewhat stronger east wind begins to force the heat into a more concentrated zone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Still 29 at Shannon, and Kerry Airport now down to 27 from its earlier 28. Sligo Airport also 27.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,501 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I'm getting 27 C reading on my car in Limerick City. Unreal weather altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Dow99 wrote: »
    1995 was an extraordinary summer!! With 27 days of over 25 degrees in Kilkenny and Dublin had unbroken sunshine for 9 consecutive days with no clouds.

Maybe we're on track for another??

That would be AMAZING. A full summer of swimming in a cold, outdoor pool, not a bother. Hasn’t happened since. It was great being young for that summer. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Yes. The benchmark for all of us who don't remember 1976. Last week of June was hitting 30-32C locally. Sunday 9th July when Clare won their first Munster hurling title since 1914 was a scorcher. Laois played Dublin in Navan in serious heat and Jason Sherlock scored a goal in his socks when his boot fell off.

August began in a swelter and continued on. 30C still being reached until 20 August. The mean Kilkenny monthly air temp was 18.9C. Would have almost topped 20C but for a relatively cool last week.

So glad to see people bigging up summer 1995. I read posts from a few years back here questioning if it was really that great. It really was. There was a handful of overcast, thundery days. That was it. I think people are thrown because it didn’t kick in until the dying days of June.
    Kinda forgotten month.. Very good summer.

Good, but not a patch on 1995. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Some nice examples of high based Altocumulus in those pics Syran. Sky is solid clear here with no sign of any low level haze or anything like that.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭kingshankly

I was in Las Vegas in August 2011 and the high one day there was 47 C (116 F). In that heat, metal objects like door handles can burn your skin. The night after this record breaking heat day "cooled off" to 32 C (90 F) so even walking out to the car at 0700h from an air conditioned motel room felt like mid-day heat at home.

The hottest temperature I experienced in my home location both in Ontario and later in B.C. was around 38 C.

You don't want it that hot, but I do feel that 31 or even 32 is possible tomorrow or Thursday in the inland west as a somewhat stronger east wind begins to force the heat into a more concentrated zone.

I have encountered low 40s in Vegas and found in bareable but low 40s in Dubai was like nothing I ever witnessed unbearable and intolerable even for a few minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭Gambas

Now 29.8 in Galway, down from 30.0 at 16:11

http://www.galwaycityweather.com/index.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Summer 1995 had plentiful blue sky days and low humidity, I remember July 2006 as being very humid, calmy and there was much more cloud about.

• Advertisement

Could make the 29c here: Current reading:

r5LiJL7.png

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Danno wrote: »
    Summer 1995 had plentiful blue sky days and low humidity, I remember July 2006 as being very humid, calmy and there was much more cloud about.

July 2006 was far sunnier than July 1995. Early June 2006 had a similar spell of sunny weather to late June 1995 although not as warm. Perhaps it was August that you're thinking of because that was what let Summer 2006 down.

Had to really force the front door of the house here shut it earlier. Heat seems to have expanded it or something.

New Moon

_Dara_ wrote: »
    So glad to see people bigging up summer 1995. I read posts from a few years back here questioning if it was really that great. It really was. There was a handful of overcast, thundery days. That was it. I think people are thrown because it didn’t kick in until the dying days of June.

Good, but not a patch on 1995. ;)

Cheers Dara! It was 2013 X 2.5! Great to be young then is right..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Shannon back down to 28c at 4:30pm.

Meanwhile it's still rising here in West Clare, now 28.7c.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

met. ie are admitting to 26 in my location . It is hot. The outdoors is on visiting
    only terms. ;)
    Still the breeze off the ocean at the back,

bord na mona today stated they have already extracted over 80% of their allocated turf for this year..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I know of some people who run a gardening company as in doing gardens for people, due to the hot weather they are starting at 5am and finishing early afternoon.
    Good thing as heat stroke is a possibly, I got heat stroke or was in the process of getting it on holidays a couple of years back. I left the hotel and was looking for a particular shop to fix my broken phone screen, had checked before I had left home and these were much cheaper than Irish phone screen fixers.
    I was walking and I was knew I needed water, temperature was mid 30Cs and humid. I had to find shade and sit down at one point and I was starting to feel sick and my head was feeling funny, then finally I came across a shop selling food, oh the relief. It is serious sp just keep yourselves hydrated and with liquid if you will be any time away as the heat is serious. Then with your sunscreen on, your liquid to keep you hydrated, you should be able to enjoy the heat fully.

https://www.met.ie/climate/past-weather-statements

You can download Aug 1995 summary here. Great read..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Sections of tarmac are melting in my area of Limerick

Cars making squelching noises as they drive over it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Max temps to 4pm today (°C):

28.7 Shannon Airport
    28.7 Oak Park
    - Highest temp so far this year
    28.2 Athenry
    27.8 Gurteen
    27.5 Mullingar
    27.3 Mace Head
    27.1 Finner Camp
    27.0 Claremorris
    26.4 Moore Park
    25.6 Knock Airport
    25.2 Malin Head
    24.5 Phoenix Park
    23.2 Dublin Airport

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

We were in Austria in 2015 in 40 degrees ( Sept ) . It was just about bearable by the lakes and mountains . We went to Vienna for two days and in 39 degrees we actually could not go out until evening and we saw Vienna mainly in the dark !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

While cloud cover has drastically reduced since around 2pm - the most stubborn high cloud/cirrus patches continue to make it hazy for the vast majority of time in D9. Literally won't budge - hopefully can squeeze an hour or two in this evening if unbroken sun.

Nice and warm again at the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Every time 95 is mentioned I think about how I 'accidentally' bought my first car with air con - a 90 Honda Accord 2.0i, I remember the salesman...'all the extras even has air conditioning' and not being particularly impressed. Needless to say I was a convert by the end of that summer and the first thing I checked for after that!

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 36,152 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

DSC00084.jpg

Gone over 30c a tad now .
    Kilkenny

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

27.6C now here near Tralee.

Going by Met Eireann's Weather Warning Criteria we could get an Orange Warning tomorrow for some counties :Maxima in excess of 30C or minima in excess of 20C expected in a 24hr period

aromehd-41-33-0_kek2.png

9587_zzj8.png

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I think I reached my high for the day. Temperature is falling from the highs which reached 30.8C.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Follow on from RobertKK's post, saw this on a NOAA site and thought I'd keep it for these hot days, might be useful.

p58odUF.png

Note: Heat Stroke needs immediate medical attention: Dial 112 or 999

Bliss

giphy.gif

New Moon

• Advertisement

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Bliss

giphy.gif

Oneric 3 better have a look through the descriptions in the post above to see if any match :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement