Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turning very warm/hot, heatwave conditions likely; Sunday 24th -->

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,417 ✭✭✭✭road_high

screamer wrote: »
    Pity they don't have official temp recording in kilkenny any more. Car was reading 40 in the shade today at lunchtime.

Moved to Oakpark about ten years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

I find it very surprising that they still report high pollen counts. As someone who suffers from hayfever it's never bad on a very hot day as the air and pollen rise high into the sky. Also the drought type conditions are meaning little grass growth hence less pollen.
    I would actually say a very high pollen count is inaccurate at best!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Zerbini Blewitt

With Athenry still at 28C at 8pm now :cool: plus Mace Head reaching 27C today!!! and those other 32C predictions for tomorrow it looks like 1976’s 32.5C will likely be broken tomorrow.

I’m enjoying the heat anyway but that 1976 living-memory record has stood long enough now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

My mum still talks about the heat in 76, I was just one year's of age.

I took a swig of coke and vodka, fell and cut my face, scarred for life lol

Those were the day's she says....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Amazing headlines today from the same trash tabloid that popped up in my newsfeed.

RVsLpIy.png

vnogzF5.png

Seems to be a curious phenomena lately for 7th rate journalists to create a story out of people's social media posts, with the catchy headline of 'EVERYBODY IS SAYING THE SAME THING ABOUT..

Met Eireann's Forecast
    Last night's Late Late Show..
    Last night's episode of EastEnders..
    Some D-list celebrity's wedding dress.

This really plumbing new depths of garbage reporting. If 'everybody is saying the same thing about..." why do you need to make a profit driven story out of it telling us all what we already know?

The Fire is Rising.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Recent visible satellite imagery was showing several streaks that could be smoke from wildfires. Could anyone confirm or deny?

The ones that I noticed were (a) near Mullingar heading w.s.w. and relatively large, (b) somewhere southwest of Mullingar parallel to (a), then (c) several smaller ones in west Cork and south Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭screamer

Danno wrote: »
    Met Eireann's latest NWP run is predicting 32c here in South Laois tomorrow.
    Feck we'll be like melted snowmen...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Met Eireann model going for more widespread 32s tomorra:

It's even more mad for Thursday. Very widespread 32-34 and a patch or two of 34-36 in Kerry:
    4 more degrees and it would literally be off the scale

57ddcd70e3861f57ea02928238e8488f.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭screamer

Danno wrote: »
    screamer wrote: »
    Pity they don't have official temp recording in kilkenny any more. Car was reading 40 in the shade today at lunchtime.

There is an official station in the city. 28.8c today there. ;)
    Didn't know that met eireann don't report on it from what I know anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Where is this extremely warm air mass coming from? In my very limited knowledge of weather, it’s not the sunshine alone that brings the temps up this high right?

• Advertisement

Where is this extremely warm air mass coming from? In my very limited knowledge of weather, it’s not the sunshine alone that brings the temps up this high right?

Relatively stable high pressure means little to no interference from wind in many areas, especially inland

Very little cloud allows the sun to radiate heat directly (just look at the difference between Dublin and the west before lunch today as an example, >10 degrees between them)

The lowest layer of the atmosphere is also much thicker than usual (560dm / 5600m) vs a more typical 530dm. The thicker this layer the warmer the air mass. Someone else will give a much more comprehensive and useful explanation of this part I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

It's the low humidity combined with the Summer solstice. It hasn't rained much over the past few months and dry air warms up quicker than wet air.

It moved up from the northern Spain, western France region.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

HARMONIE going for 30c+ in many areas, surely they will need to upgrade warning to Orange for some areas?

https://twitter.com/carlowweather/status/1011701498391212035?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

The currently very dry ground is a good contributor also, it's much easier for the sun to heat a dry ground than a damp/wet one. The heat in the ground heats the first few metres above it.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭glightning

Recent visible satellite imagery was showing several streaks that could be smoke from wildfires. Could anyone confirm or deny?

The ones that I noticed were (a) near Mullingar heading w.s.w. and relatively large, (b) somewhere southwest of Mullingar parallel to (a), then (c) several smaller ones in west Cork and south Kerry.

I can see a long plume of smoke flowing westwards here from Southern County Antrim when I look SSW

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Villain wrote: »
    HARMONIE going for 30c+ in many areas, surely they will need to upgrade warning to Orange for some areas?

https://twitter.com/carlowweather/status/1011701498391212035?s=21

Harmonie has been aiming several degrees high the last few days so I'd not take it too seriously. Met Éireann themselves have been subtracting a few degrees off it for their forecast highs.

The sunset here tonight is searingly intense. Cannot look near it. Zero haze whatsoever. Never seen such a bright and sharp sunset in this country (that I can remember anyway). Air is bone dry

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Harmonie has been aiming several degrees high the last few days so I'd not take it too seriously. Met Éireann themselves have been subtracting a few degrees off it for their forecast highs.

Yep but ECM has been a little below and their own graphs on met.ie are showing 32c, will be a little odd if their warnings don’t reflect that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Not sure about streaks in Cork but can confirm quite a bit of cloud here this evening. Very warm and humid though

• Advertisement

My top temperature today was 3 degrees higher than what ECM forecast for today, and 3 degrees lower than what Harnomie forecast, so a real halfway house.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Yep but ECM has been a little below and their own graphs on met.ie are showing 32c, will be a little odd if their warnings don’t reflect that.

Their site has raw model output, which they (rightly) have been seeing as unrealistic. That's where they earn their euros, using their own experience to refine the output. Spot on correct so far...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

The graphs are showing un- modified NWP output.

HARMONIE has been showing on average a +2C warm bias recently.

Taking that into account with it showing some 33-34s Weds/Thurs locally in the southwest, we will probably peak at 31C, perhaps very locally 32C.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,757 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Nice storms coming out of northern Spain this evening

https://en.sat24.com/en/fr/infraPolair

Taking that into account with it showing some 33-34s Weds/Thurs locally in the southwest, we will probably peak at 31C, perhaps very locally 32C.

My reading of that scale is 34-36, not 32-34?

Yet another example of the poor warning system is the ambiguous definition of a red warning for heat. If the criteria persits "for more than 2 nights" - does that include the days in betweeen, i.e. >30 degrees forecast for more then 2 consecutive days? Or is the red only issued if the minimum fails to drop below 20 for the whole period?

Bottom line - AGAIN - is the sooner the fix the warning system the better.
    Criteria for Red – Severe Weather Warnings
    6. High Temperature As Orange criterion, but persisting for two or more consecutive nights.

Criteria for Orange – Weather Warnings
    6. High Temperature Maxima in excess of 30C or minima in excess of 20C expected in a 24hr period

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

I don't give Harmonie any credit for its temps since the 30c it showed for May 29th though I do look at it just for fun.

What a view right now! Intense sun in the west and very clear full moon low in the east. Not a cloud (of any kind) in sight

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

I live on the boundary between mid and west Cork and no fires anywhere in my area. Maybe farther west.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

glightning wrote: »
    What a view right now! Intense sun in the west and very clear full moon low in the east. Not a cloud (of any kind) in sight

Pics or get out. :)

• Advertisement

Worth noting that the 12Z ECM which has been a degree or two below the mark over the last few days has gone from 28 to 29 for the next couple of days' maximum, and over a much wider area.

I'm still gunning for the record to fall. A little less cofident than I was at the weekend maybe, when the 29 in this image was a 31.

68f5c76e3237c5b085d7df1d277c14b8.png

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement