Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turning very warm/hot, heatwave conditions likely; Sunday 24th -->

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Sadly we can only guess at the exact values of the upper air parameters on these old charts but the surface pressures are based on fairly reliable and widespread observations, except over some portions of the higher latitudes (where nowadays we have a few more stations but also satellite imagery to create a secondary guide to pressure estimation). The one thing I wouldn't trust too much about 19th century charts would be details on lows in the central Atlantic, that might depend on hit or miss ship observations (back in those days, ships were not routed to avoid major lows and that's why they kept going down in such profuse numbers).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

sryanbruen wrote: »
    It did seem quite low for such a temperature but I would have thought that the build up of warmth over time from a constant area of high pressure over the few weeks of June 1887 combined with the extremely dry ground (after all, 1887 holds the lowest annual rainfall total on record for Ireland and June 1887 was also very dry) would justify temperatures that high of up to 33.3c. Not to mention, places like Phoenix Park reached 24c on the day as shown by the ECA&D data which is to be expected given the distribution of the pressure.

Another question I would ask is if thermometers then had the same 'standards' in terms of quality and housing as those today used today?

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

John.Icy wrote: »
    I would really love a study to be done regards trivial things like this - why some Irish people are basically allergic to heat and why some can tolerate higher temperatures much easier like most Caucasians around the world. I posted about it last summer too I think;

Why would two Irish people, same age, same weight, same gender, same home address and exact same exposure to high temperatures of 22-30 degrees...why does one break down at 22 degrees and why is one much more comfortable. Obviously all humans are different but in the case above the differences are down to genetics so perhaps that's where it all lies. Or perhaps it's all in peoples heads. The brain is incredibly powerful and our own mentality can dictate our responses. Such as what a poster eluded to that when we go on a sun holiday we are prepared for it and cope well.
    I'm a taxi driver and I discuss this a lot with foreigners. It's simple really, you just get used to it or acclimatise as they say.
    I spoke to philapino nurses who can't sleep now when they go home but didn't have an issue when younger.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Another question I would ask is if thermometers then had the same 'standards' in terms of quality and housing as those today used today?

Not really. I'm not an expert when it comes to the quality of the weather instruments back then though I am aware of many controversial and potential inaccurate records before the 20th century (apparently Ireland's 33.3c is not one of them).

The maximum at Armagh Observatory on 26th June 1887 was 26.9c (80.4f).

This is an interesting discussion I have to say.

http://climate.arm.ac.uk/scans/1887/06/INDEXA.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Google just sent me a notification warning of 31c in Limerick tomorrow. I don't use any Google weather sites or apps. ****s getting serious 😎

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Do Irish people really love the heat that much? As I said before, as soon as the weather gets hot and sunny, the household fans come out in abundance (which don't 'cool' the air as such, but the breeze feels nice), the air conditioning is on in the stores, or we run to the beach if the first opportunity arises to dip into a sea that is roughly the same temp as an average Autumn day in Ireland just to cool off.

I'd argue they do. Sure this forum seems to be a collection of the opposite at times but;

Huge numbers of people out and about (not just at beaches) when the temperature soars. Irish people long for sun holidays in their droves every year to get some heat because of general meh summers here. Tonnes of people exercising outdoors - if Irish people can't cope with hot weather in general surely physical exertion is a no-no out there.

I genuinely don't know anyone outside this forum who has such major gripes with heat. Sure, people who have different perceptions of warm and hot and what temperature they class as those - but the word insufferable and the likes is something I mostly see around here. Different circles and all that I suppose.

This could go tit for tat forever but I don't think anyone can actually answer (if there is a proper answer that is) original post regards the exact same circumstances etc so I'll forever be curious :D

EDIT: iamtony - again... My question relates to why two people of extremely similar lifestyle and upbringings (i.e. exposure) both can acclimatise at such extremes of a spectrum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

I find this heat easier to deal with than the last spell its a lot down to humidity for me but we are all different. Beautiful day here today you know its hot when the tar starts to melt.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

I'd argue they do. Sure this forum seems to be a collection of the opposite at times but;

Huge numbers of people out and about (not just at beaches) when the temperature soars. Irish people long for sun holidays in their droves every year to get some heat because of general meh summers here. Tonnes of people exercising outdoors - if Irish people can't cope with hot weather in general surely physical exertion is a no-no out there.

I genuinely don't know anyone outside this forum who has such major gripes with heat. Sure, people who have different perceptions of warm and hot and what temperature they class as those - but the word insufferable and the likes is something I mostly see around here. Different circles and all that I suppose.

This could go tit for tat forever but I don't think anyone can actually answer my original post regards the exact same circumstances etc so I'll forever be curious :D

EDIT: iamtony - again... My question relates to why two people of extremely similar lifestyle and upbringings (i.e. exposure) both can acclimatise at such extremes of a spectrum.

I dunno, your assessment above seems to be more about the social aspects that 'fine' weather tends to bring out in us, rather than about the actual heat itself.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Carol25

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Not really. I'm not an expert when it comes to the quality of the weather instruments back then though I am aware of many controversial and potential inaccurate records before the 20th century (apparently Ireland's 33.3c is not one of them).

The maximum at Armagh Observatory on 26th June 1887 was 26.9c (80.4f).

This is an interesting discussion I have to say.

http://climate.arm.ac.uk/scans/1887/06/INDEXA.html

I've often wondered about both of our heat records, the minimum and maximum because they were both from the 19th century.
    Would the positioning and setup of a weather station have been the same back in the 19th century?
    I presume we were already using stevenson screens then though?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,152 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

My friend in St George Utah thinks it's funny that we find 28c hot. That would be a cool day there, it's 44c there today.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Irish_rat wrote: »
    The reason that anything above 22 is unbearable is because for about 10 months of the year it's about half that temperature outside.

Not true, gross exaggeration.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

It's 11:46 right now and still 20.1c now, I have no idea how I'll manage to sleep tonight. Dropping extremely slowly too!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

My friend in St George Utah thinks it's funny that we find 28c hot. That would be a cool day there, it's 44c there today.

This is similar to all the stories that were doing the rounds of tourists from Austria, Canada etc who couldn't understand why we had red warnings during the cold and snowy weather in late Feb/early March.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

It’s almost as if we aren’t used to heat in our home country while working. I mean our max temperature ever has only been 33.3 after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

I would really love a study to be done regards trivial things like this - why some Irish people are basically allergic to heat and why some can tolerate higher temperatures much easier like most Caucasians around the world. I posted about it last summer too I think;

Why would two Irish people, same age, same weight, same gender, same home address and exact same exposure to high temperatures of 22-30 degrees...why does one break down at 22 degrees and why is one much more comfortable. Obviously all humans are different but in the case above the differences are down to genetics so perhaps that's where it all lies. Or perhaps it's all in peoples heads. The brain is incredibly powerful and our own mentality can dictate our responses. Such as what a poster eluded to that when we go on a sun holiday we are prepared for it and cope well.

People who live in warmer countries don’t wonder at it and have the incentive to invest in keeping as cool as possible. AC in homes or architecture and house features that are conducive to keeping houses cool. Not stepping out at the hot parts of the day. Bring them all over to Ireland during a hot spell where we lack a lot of that stuff and I bet some would not enjoy it. I don’t think it’s strange that people tolerate heat differently.

And on sun holidays, Irish people can avail of those things that help keep you cool. And honestly, not everyone copes well on those holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Tis a warm one! Nice moon in the southern sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Carol25 wrote: »
    I've often wondered about both of our heat records, the minimum and maximum because they were both from the 19th century.
    Would the positioning and setup of a weather station have been the same back in the 19th century?
    I presume we were already using stevenson screens then though?

Perhaps these links might be of some interest to you - I cannot answer your question unfortunately myself because I don't acquire the knowledge of the history of Markree station.

http://staffweb.itsligo.ie/staff/dcotton/Meteorology.html

http://edepositireland.ie/bitstream/handle/2262/74613/Met%20%C3%89ireann%20Historical%20Note%20No.%206.pdf?sequence=7&isAllowed=y

This is similar to all the stories that were doing the rounds of tourists from Austria, Canada etc who couldn't understand why we had red warnings during the cold and snowy weather in late Feb/early March.

Humidity is a big factor. Canadians have told me that they find the Irish cold damp winters (Northerly or Northwesterly wind with a polar maritime airmass) to be a horrible experience.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

That's beside the point really. Obviously if certain conditions are normal then you become accustomed to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

Well at least its expected to cool down come the weekend albeit in the early 20s which is still quite warm by Irish standards but seems cool compared to the extremely hot temperatures we have experienced during recent days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

Iv had 3 showers today, been wearing only a towel since 8pm, Iv got new bed sheets and sleeping in the nip!! Tis a glorius summers night!

(This would make a great intro to an erotic novel!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Iv had 3 showers today, been wearing only a towel since 8pm, Iv got new bed sheets and sleeping in the nip!! Tis a glorius summers night!

(This would make a great intro to an erotic novel!!)
    A tea towel:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Got me before finished editing to include to it being mentally driven; it's probably a big factor alright.

Those of us already barely coping with chronic illness are affected adversely by extremes of weather. They drain and we have few reserves to draw on. Many old folk too. Inexpressibly hard these days are and the nights too. Just an ordeal.

Many folk too simply get on with their lives adapting and not making any ado or fuss, and not rushing round to fairs and beaches, lovely as those things are,. Enjoying

Just different personalities and circumstances.

Longing for some alleviation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

You'd swear some people love gray skies and miserable weather. I don't get it. Love the bit of heat after the truly awful winter we had. Definitely doesn't feel as hot as previous warm spells either.

Stephen15 wrote: »
    You'd swear some people love gray skies and miserable weather. I don't get it. Love the bit of heat after the truly awful winter we had. Definitely doesn't feel as hot as previous warm spells either.

So?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭mikeecho

How long is this glorious bout of fantastic weather expected to last.

Longer the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

We irish like to be miserable we like to give out about stuff thats just how we are. I remember been in san francisco for a few weeks waking up to blue skies every day and i was nearly missing the grey clouds and rain.

Just went outside... a huge dappled shadowed moon lantern hanging low and off to the left a great golden star...cool air flowing softly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Yes but St George is in the Mojave Desert where human survival would be nearly impossible in summer without mod cons. I have been in Vegas at the height of summer when it's 46-47c but it's only hot when you step outside. Most of Ireland doesn't have ac so that 28 degrees turns houses into saunas especially at night.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement