Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turning very warm/hot, heatwave conditions likely; Sunday 24th -->

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭mikeecho

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Yes but St George is in the Mojave Desert where human survival would be nearly impossible in summer without mod cons. I have been in Vegas at the height of summer when it's 46-47c but it's only hot when you step outside. Most of Ireland doesn't have ac so that 28 degrees turns houses into saunas especially at night.

A/C in a house in Ireland, is like buying a 7,500L swimming pool from lidl....
    .... a compete waste of money for something you'll only get proper use of , once every 5 to 10 yrs.

(I'm tempted to buy a pool, but .... I won't)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Irish_rat wrote: »
    The reason that anything above 22 is unbearable is because for about 10 months of the year it's about half that temperature outside.

To be pedantic, half of 22 °C is about -147 °C, but I know what you mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Overnight min of 15.5c reached at 5:30am, rising quickly again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Seems to be a lot of mid to high level cloud around on the satellite early on. Might affect the chances of 30 being reached today. But it may burn away, let's see.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

My friend in St George Utah thinks it's funny that we find 28c hot. That would be a cool day there, it's 44c there today.

And we in ireland think it's funny that your friend in Utah has Donald Trump as a president .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Bright sunny morning here in kildare no cloud cover whatsoever and up over 15 already...
    It’s going to be a long sticky day..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

harr wrote: »
    Bright sunny morning here in kildare no cloud cover whatsoever and up over 15 already...
    It’s going to be a long sticky day..

The heat hit me when I got off the train last night in Sallins. It was 27c in the shade. I will be interested to see if it can beat that today.

I don't know if I want to be off work to avoid the heat or go to work and have the cooling onshore breeze.

Hopefully people are taking care of their pets in this heat.

I have three frozen bottles of water tried together and have the cats bed sitting on them. I also filled her water fountain with ice cubes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭sexmag

Possible red warning to be issued in inland areas as temp may reach 32, be careful everyone and check on young children and the eldery

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I am speculating with not much support from guidance, that there could be some locally heavy thunderstorms developing later today in Connacht and west Ulster. It appears that the more humid air has formed a wedge and cloud patterns suggest a weak frontal feature pushing north. It may only generate patchy altocumulus but with the hills in that part of the country and sea breeze boundaries there might be enough lift to get a few isolated thunderstorms to develop.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Already 19.7C here at 7:30am in north east Kilkenny.
    Looking really hot (by Irish standards) today.

Edit to add 20.2C, 5 minutes later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Mace head at 19c tat 7am!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Cork airport reporting 18 degrees already, not sure of the temp on my area but it’s generally a bit higher. Still though for 7:55am that’s impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Overcast again this morning in Kildare though looking at the satellite it's hopefully just short blip this time. Had no issues at all sleeping last night, with the window wide open it was perfectly comfortable

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

A number of stations above 20C at 8am, 21C in Belmullet.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,400 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Relatively warm but cool enough for a comfortable commute in Dublin.

Shirt not stuck to my back which is nice.

Sun coming out now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Overcast again this morning in Kildare though looking at the satellite it's hopefully just short blip this time. Had no issues at all sleeping last night, with the window wide open it was perfectly comfortable
    Fantastic sunny morning at 6am but gone overcast again but the sun peaking out on occasion so expecting the cloud to burn off a bit quicker than yesterday...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

sexmag wrote: »
    Possible red warning to be issued in inland areas as temp may reach 32, be careful everyone and check on young children and the eldery
    a
    Please; it would be a great kindness to make sure any old neighbours have their shopping in, and water supply is OK.
    We do not cope with extreme heat as we did years ago and can be slow to realise
    that.

I am certainly learning that this week :eek: Used to revel in it, now dread the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Merciless heat already building up here. West Mayo, offshore island

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

Graces7 wrote: »

Ahh now here!!

It's not the Sahara ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Car is reading 22 degrees in cork city at 9:05am!

Edit: 23 now

• Advertisement

Valley already up to 26 degrees at 08:50

METAR EGOV 270750Z 03007KT CAVOK 26/07 Q1025 BLU NOSIG=

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

A lot of cloud about here in Glasnevin but the sun's also shining. It's 18.9C now. The RH is much higher than it's been recently, at 70%. There's next to no wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,085 ✭✭✭OldRio

Adapt people adapt. Take a leaf out of our Spanish friends. I started drawing hay from a meadow at 6.00 am yesterday. Handballing square bales into a trailer. Stacked them in the barn. Finished at 1.00 pm.
    Into the shade for a bite and a snooze.
    Then back outside at 4.30.

Working all day in the rain and cold or this?
    I'll take the latter. (A little rain would be welcome though. A little I said) 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 20,084 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Graces7 wrote: »

Let me know when it gets above 45°.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Thats all great, but most employers don't allow adaption. I can't see my boss allow me to come in early or late on account of weather, its business as usual. That said, the air conditioning at work is wonderful but I know most don't have that.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

MT's forecast looks good for sun worshippers next week again with the warmer weather concentrated on the East coast rather than the Midlands/West.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

MT's forecast looks good for sun worshippers next week again with the warmer weather concentrated on the East coast rather than the Midlands/West.

Where is the forecast

Gurteen's max yesterday was 28.1, so Shannon still leading the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,582 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

question - is there a comparison between predicted highs versus actuals? I've a feeling, nothing more, that the actual highs are exceeding predicted pretty regularly in hot weather. Yesterday, for example, 26 was predicted and 29 hit in west kerry. Just wondering if there's something with the modeling that's not quite right (I know, I know...models...)

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,085 ✭✭✭OldRio

Thats all great, but most employers don't allow adaption. I can't see my boss allow me to come in early or late on account of weather, its business as usual. That said, the air conditioning at work is wonderful but I know most don't have that.

I do understand that but some people moaning about the weather do nothing to change their habits.
    Shut the curtains. Open the windows. Drink more water. Walk in the shade. Avail of air-conditioning in supermarkets in the warmest part of the day. It's common sense, alas some seem immune to it.g

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement