Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turning very warm/hot, heatwave conditions likely; Sunday 24th -->

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,757 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

In terms of the weather models this morning the trend is to delay the breakdown and still very warm, continental type conditions until at least Tuesday. The temperature profile is creeping up as well over the weekend and in to the early days of next week.

So breaking this settled weather down is looking more difficult and less clear cut. Which is not unusual.

The UKMO in particular wants to prolong events. Interesting to see the evolution later today and whether that trend continues.

21c in north Dublin, hint of a sea breeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Athenry at 23c already, my station is at 23.2c!

Road temps will be interesting to watch today also, some hit 55c yesterday, I was chatting a mate last night who does some gritting for the council, usually rings me about frost and snow but last night it was heat as he is now contracted by council to spread lime on roads that are melting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

I don’t buy the people in hot countries like or tolerate heat claim. They seem to spend a lot of money on air conditioning if so.

In fact many an American from hot climes I met in London would complain about the heat there (which in reality is underestimated by the official readings). While work might have air conditioning the tube and most shops, restaurants (and shockingly for Americans) cinemas do not. And when they do air conditioning reduces the temperature by a few degrees while hot country air conditioning tends to feel cool. Even cold. And dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

I don’t buy the people in hot countries like or tolerate heat claim. They seem to spend a lot of money on air conditioning if so.

In fact many an American from hot climes I met in London would complain about the heat there (which in reality is underestimated by the official readings). While work might have air conditioning the tube and most shops, restaurants (and shockingly for Americans) cinemas do not. And when they do air conditioning reduces the temperature by a few degrees while hot country air conditioning tends to feel cool. And dry.

some of these people will have genetic conditioning to deal with the heat. Us pasty Irish don't really and can't handle it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Kamili wrote: »
    some of these people will have genetic conditioning to deal with the heat. Us pasty Irish don't really and can't handle it.

and yet they flock to air conditioning. Nobody likes heat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

OldRio wrote: »
    Adapt people adapt. Take a leaf out of our Spanish friends. I started drawing hay from a meadow at 6.00 am yesterday. Handballing square bales into a trailer. Stacked them in the barn. Finished at 1.00 pm.
    Into the shade for a bite and a snooze.
    Then back outside at 4.30.

Working all day in the rain and cold or this?
    I'll take the latter. (A little rain would be welcome though. A little I said) 😀

I've started work at 7am and will finish at 18:00 tomorrow evening in a crappy building with no airronditiononig. Hard to adapt! Just hope it is good over the weekend when I'm off!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Kamili wrote: »

My mother in law is cold when the heat drops below about 24 degrees.
    You should have seen the rest of the locals dressed when it was 16 degrees one evening.

It is one of the reasons that we have never invite her to Ireland as we think it will be too cold for her, even in our summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

And we in ireland think it's funny that your friend in Utah has Donal trump as a president .

That great Irish president!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

nthclare wrote: »
    My mum still talks about the heat in 76, I was just one year's of age.

I took a swig of coke and vodka, fell and cut my face, scarred for life lol

Those were the day's she says....

I was born on the first day of Autumn 1976 so very literally just missed that summer. My mum talks..em... laughingly at being heavily pregnant during it! I was on a J1 summer in the US then in 1995 so I reckon Im due a good summer......

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

My station is reporting 24.3C, unbroken blue skies and totally calm. Will definitely be hotter than yesterday. I think the hills all around which rise to over 300m in places are creating something of a heat trap in my location which shelters it from easterly breezes. My location is 220m asl.
    Maybe something similar happened in 1887 with Kilkenny county given the local topography.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

OldRio wrote: »
    I do understand that but some people moaning about the weather do nothing to change their habits.
    Shut the curtains. Open the windows. Drink more water. Walk in the shade. Avail of air-conditioning in supermarkets in the warmest part of the day. It's common sense, alas some seem immune to it.g

Oh dear!

My mother in law is cold when the heat drops below about 24 degrees.
    You should have seen the rest of the locals dressed when it was 16 degrees one evening.

It is one of the reasons that we have never invite her to Ireland as we think it will be too cold for her, even in our summer.

Spent 2 days in a car with a lady from Texas last month when the weather was warm ... windows kept closed.. phew

Graces7 wrote: »
    Oh dear!

Oh dear dear dear!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,085 ✭✭✭OldRio

Oh dear!

Oh dear😀

cnocbui wrote: »
    Let me know when it gets above 45°.

as i said, merciless.no respite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Steve F wrote: »
    Ahh now here!!

It's not the Sahara ;)

It's an offshore island tho. Completely different climate to us. Even uses the marine forecast instead..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

23.7 degrees celcius now in Tramore and its only 10am.

Last night temps stayed around 18 degrees, make it a very uncomfortable sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

A good few stations on 24 at 10 am

Shannon, Gurteen, Kerry Airport, Claremorris.

Athenry at 25C.

Spent 2 days in a car with a lady from Texas last month when the weather was warm ... windows kept closed.. phew

Well it would have felt cold here :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

26.8°C in Roscrea already, 53% hum.

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

Currently hitting 24.4c here in Mid Kerry at the moment ... yesterday at the same time temp was 24c so looking on par with yesterday where i got a high of 29.6c at 15:18

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

With a few places close to 25C already, I reckon 30C will be exceeded today in a few places.

Currently 20C at my location in Dunshaughlin, making this the warmest morning of the year. I am hoping to see mymax temperature of 26C being exceeded here today.

Most, if not all of next week is looking warm across much of Leinster with low to mid 20s possible.

edit: according to Met Eireann, my local weather station of Dunsany (just 5 miles away) is reporting 23C at 10am.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,757 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Pretty much certain to see over 30c today in some places. Midwest and some other western counties like Galway are particularly strong candidates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

22.1c, no wind and feeling very pleasant at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Jesus, 28c already at 10am in Wales (Porthmadog).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

The reason Irish hot weather is so unbearable for me, and I suspect many others, is the lack of infrastructure to support it.

We don't have external window shades on houses, so the solar radiation gets into the house constantly and heats it up.
    We don't have air conditioning, so there's no good way to cool a house down.
    Heatwaves generally also bring about calm winds, so there's no respite from opening all the windows in the house to let the breeze pass through.
    We don't have outdoor swimming pools, which usually make hot weather holidays so enjoyable.
    Our water infrastructure is not used to long-term dry spells, meaning we quickly get water restrictions, and our lovely greenery dies.
    We don't have window and door screens on our houses, so leaving them open is a prelude to a fly or wasp invasion (bees seem to be far less interested in being indoors, bless them).
    Too many people take the weather as an excuse for anti-social behaviour being acceptable (public drinking and littering, blasting crap music all day and street, etc.), and we don't have a policing system in this country.
    Irish men look fücking ridiculous in shorts, and blindingly ugly with their tops off.
    We don't sell enough frozen margaritas.

In short: end this hellish heatwave now, please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭kod87

Absolutely disgusting weather, impossible to enjoy since going outside means almost certain death.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Waterford city a pleasent 23.6c

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭kod87

MJohnston wrote: »
    The reason Irish hot weather is so unbearable for me, and I suspect many others, is the lack of infrastructure to support it.

We don't have external window shades on houses, so the solar radiation gets into the house constantly and heats it up.
    We don't have air conditioning, so there's no good way to cool a house down.
    Heatwaves generally also bring about calm winds, so there's no respite from opening all the windows in the house to let the breeze pass through.
    We don't have outdoor swimming pools, which usually make hot weather holidays so enjoyable.
    Our water infrastructure is not used to long-term dry spells, meaning we quickly get water restrictions, and our lovely greenery dies.
    We don't have window and door screens on our houses, so leaving them open is a prelude to a fly or wasp invasion (bees seem to be far less interested in being indoors, bless them).
    Too many people take the weather as an excuse for anti-social behaviour being acceptable (public drinking and littering, blasting crap music all day and street, etc.), and we don't have a policing system in this country.
    Irish men look fücking ridiculous in shorts, and blindingly ugly with their tops off.
    We don't sell enough frozen margaritas.

In short: end this hellish heatwave now, please.

There is no acceptable excuse for a grown man to wear shorts unless playing sports. Please keep your hairy legs to yourselves, be considerate to other human beings

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement