Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Turning very warm/hot, heatwave conditions likely; Sunday 24th -->

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I mean the ground is rock hard, it’s more to do with the lack of water falling I think vs the amount of water stored? Maybe not

Demand is higher than normal, plenty in reservoirs but the extra demand and the crumbling pipe infrastructure doesn't help.
    A normal summer here is a few days of fine weather in the mid twenties at most and the rain is never far away. This time there's been a prolonged spell of baking heat and people are watering gardens etc and IW are worried about water reserves going forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

eW8W8Fq.gif

Pretty much all models don't bring that system far enough north and keep the country mostly dry with the odd thundery shower developing in to the south and a few homegrown afternoon ones(intense if you get one though).

Shame for storm lovers like me but i'm sure there will be other chances before this period is over :cool:

20c here in North Dublin.

28c @ Sligo Airport at 3pm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Our gombeen of a neighbour has lit a bonfire in his garden near some trees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭sjb25

Mars Bar wrote: »

Call the fire brigade let em pay the call out fee soften his cough :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

All this talk of drought. Thank God we don't live in a country where it rains 363 days a year,where they waste every drop that falls from the sky.!. Fook me, I don't know how we'ed cope !!!!

This year I had 57 days with 2.0mm or more, today is the 181st day of the year.
    Looking at my data for the last 6.5 years 2012 to end of June 2018 inclusive, the average with 2mm or more is 111 days a year.
    The average for 0.2mm or more is 250 days, so on average about 3.8 months of no rain for my location.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

sjb25 wrote: »

Amen to that.. crazy man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

RobertKK wrote: »
    Looking at my data for the last 6.5 years 2012 to end of June 2018 inclusive, the average with 2mm or more is 111 days a year.
    The average for 0.2mm or more is 250 days, so on average about 3.8 months of no rain for my location.

I'd say it's warm on the sun ok. ! :)

Reached 29.1C at my location, currently 27.9C.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

All this talk of drought. Thank God we don't live in a country where it rains 363 days a year,where they waste every drop that falls from the sky.!. Fook me, I don't know how we'ed cope !!!!

Like many, you are reading a headline or believing the utter sh1te written in the sensationalist media.

There is no water shortage. BUT, without managing the extra demand, there would be shortages in a few weeks if the dry weather continued.

Now here's a question

1. Would you like people to water their grass, wash their cars and fill swimming pools leading to water being cutoff in a few weeks if the once in 40 years dry spell continues

Or

2. Restrict unnecessary water useage and ensure a supply throughout the summer even if it stays dry.

I can't see anything about a current shortage except by second rate "journalists" in tabloid rags.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Say what :confused::o

sjb25 wrote: »

Exactly,give his name when you are asked while reporting it.
    There's really some absolute fook wits in this country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

The yo-yo show of the different models on tomorrow's rain is probably due to the fact that any precipitation will likely be from upper levels. Different models may be differently handling its evaporation on the way down, some evaporating it, others having it reach the ground. In any case, if we do get any it'll probably not be worth a shyte.

Beautiful here in Carrick-on-Shannon. Some cumuli tried to bubble up earlier but didn't get far and now it's clear skies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,480 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Hooter23 wrote: »
    I can see now why countries in the Mediterranean have a Siesta in the afternoon this weather would wreck ya:pac:

I’ve been going into work much earlier these days, only way to get anything done and can see why they do this in Spain and places

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

A lot more heavy out today, bit of a breeze out but indoors is a killer , barely a breath of air..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Beautiful here in Carrick-on-Shannon. Some cumuli tried to bubble up earlier but didn't get far and now it's clear skies.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,235 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

21.7c in West Clare currently, however 71% humidity, as opposed to 25-35% all week.

Please read rte report.. https://www.rte.ie/news/weather/2018/0630/974334-ireland-heatwave/

2. Restrict unnecessary water useage and ensure a supply throughout the summer even if it stays dry.

I can't see anything about a current shortage except by second rate "journalists" in tabloid rags.[/QUOTE]

Exactly,give his name when you are asked while reporting it.
    There's really some absolute fook wits in this country.

Years ago a man near me set a fire near his home. Way out in the country, during the no fire season..

I was thinking I needed to report it when there were two great explosions and thick black smoke billowed.. called it in.

Later I learned that everyone for miles around saw it and did nothing.. that he had set his shed on fire, where the oil tank was. Could have been killed. Someone has to call it in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Mars Bar wrote: »

Call the gardai. There was a red warning issued to local authorities by Chief Fire Officers last week prohibiting all fires until further notice.

• Advertisement

The temperature has been rising her for the past hour, currently 29.8C, virtually calm conditions and blue skies.

What is the difference between fine and fair on Met Eireann reports?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

JCX BXC wrote: »
    21.7c in West Clare currently, however 71% humidity, as opposed to 25-35% all week.

Not where I am, are you sitting in a freezer ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭pad199207

What is the difference between fine and fair on Met Eireann reports?

Fine is a clear sunny sky, fair is scattered clouds but not partly cloudy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,235 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

nthclare wrote: »
    Not where I am, are you sitting in a freezer ?

Where are you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

It's not turned cold here in cork but it's certainly clouded over and dropped in temperature a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Graces7 wrote: »
    Please read rte report.. https://www.rte.ie/news/weather/2018/0630/974334-ireland-heatwave/

I can't see anything about a current shortage except by second rate "journalists" in tabloid rags.
    [/QUOTE]

Did you give a link to a correct report? Nothing in that to say there is a shortage, rather it is correctly saying that to manage supply restrictions are to be put in place.

And its rte and not a sensationalist rag, hence its a more reliable source of news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,668 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

In spite of it feeling chillier, it's still a grand day, not bad at all. This is a reflection of what a beautiful month June was. Think I'd have to say that it's my favourite June I've experienced in my life so far beating 2010.

Been out to Howth today.

KtbCAFZ.jpg

SNGhDdU.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,236 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Just drove up through the Sally Gap. Gorse on fire everywhere, flames right out to the side of the road at one point. Visibility was getting poor and there are few safe turning places on the Military Road, so I was about to turn back, but came upon a Fire Officer in a jeep and asked him if it was safe to go on. He said that it was but he followed me out and when we got down to the Sally Gap itself he had coned off the road. Had to moved the cones to get out and presumably he replaced them behind me.

Forgot to hit record on the dashcam at that point but this pic from the M11 shows how dry everyting is. You'd be forgiven for mistaking it for Spain:
    (no, not hogging the overtaking lane, just passed a car ;) )

dee764005b75edb4da8eba8ce312c5a2.png

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

A cloudier afternoon today in Castlebar, it reached 27.8 earlier in the day, but only 22.3C currently with a slight breeze out, twice as humid today then the last 3 days when it got over 30C here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,480 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Coming out of the winter we had, there was a lot of dead old vegetation around and that’s become like a tinder box in this heat. Not surprised by all the fires we are having

hirlamuk-41-27-0.png?30-18

Status Yellow - High-Temperature warning for Munster and Leinster
    On Sunday, temperatures in excess of 27 degrees are expected in parts of Leinster and Munster.

Issued: Saturday 30 June 2018 11:00

Updated: Saturday 30 June 2018 11:00

Valid from Saturday 30 June 2018 11:00 to Sunday 01 July 2018 21:00

https://www.met.ie/warnings

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

I would think the nationwide hose ban is imminent this evening....
    With no end in sight and heat re intensifing next week water will quickly empty in resorvoirs
    As for the farmers.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

Galway beaches look chilly for tomorrow going by that map.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Highest temperature today was 28 point something in Athenry - Joan Blackburn.

New Moon

Galway beaches look chilly for tomorrow going by that map.

Nah,just back to normal Irish summer. :)

Saw the BBC's forecast and from the looks of it thunderstorms and showers reaching Cornwall and South Wales at best by tomorrow evening before petering out. The East and SE of Ireland looking like staying fine and dry again while the West has more cloud cover.

Oneiric 3 wrote: »

We may change the ballad from Low lie the fields to Burnt are the fields of Athenry.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Where are you?

I was in Quilty

Xenji wrote: »
    A cloudier afternoon today in Castlebar, it reached 27.8 earlier in the day, but only 22.3C currently with a slight breeze out, twice as humid today then the last 3 days when it got over 30C here.

Temps a more modest mid 20s at the moment here but feels even dirtier and stickier than the last few days which is saying a lot.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Rougies

Temps a more modest mid 20s at the moment here but feels even dirtier and stickier than the last few days which is saying a lot.

I've been dreading the inevitable rise in humidity. I think the east will get our comeuppance next week after all these low humidy mid 20s sea breeze days. Some freaks will like it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

So the Costa Del Bray is to get hotter not cooler over the next few days!!!???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    It's not turned cold here in cork but it's certainly clouded over and dropped in temperature a bit.

We had that all day down on the west cork coast, however it’s now after brightening up and no longer cloudy! Temps rose massively too. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,158 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Lovely refreshing breeze on Rush beach today , a welcome relief from the much warmer south west Dublin

Rougies wrote: »
    I've been dreading the inevitable rise in humidity. I think the east will get our comeuppance next week after all these low humidy mid 20s sea breeze days. Some freaks will like it though.

The last third of May and the first third of June was characterised by weather like this. Mid 20s temperatures and high humidity. It just seems to be going on and on and on and on this year, and we haven't even reached the warmest and most sticky part of the year yet.

I think this weather would be more acceptable to me if it occurred in August, because at least then, you'd have the comforting of knowing that summer is on the way out (even if it is usually in a slow and torturous manner) At this point in time however, we are really just at its beginning, and this fills me with a dread that I cannot put into words.

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Walked by the canal a while ago. A very noticeable drop in temperatures compared to other evenings this week and a stronger breeze. Still gorgeous though.

Reminds me of 1995. 1995 was a prolonged sunny spell but not every day was 25+. There were many days that were low to mid 20s but they were still sunny and beautiful.

• Advertisement

28.2 according to Gerry on the radio at 18.50

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

If this spell of weather continues into mid July it could have serious consequences for farming and crops. Yields will be down hugely and after a harsh winter and now this feed supplies for animals could be extremely tight especially if we got an early autumn.

You have to wonder if Irish water should be cutting pressure back already. If there are 2 more weeks of this we are going to be in a bad situation. People will be queuing up at roadside wells and any farmer with his own well dug will have a lot of new friends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Calibos wrote: »
    So the Costa Del Bray is to get hotter not cooler over the next few days!!!???

Today was just perfect in Bray. 20c and a nice breeze!

28.2 °C at Athenry was the max of all stations, but for the synops, there was a close battle.

27.9 Shannon
    27.8 Gurteen
    27.6 Claremorris, Oak Park
    27.5 Finner
    27.1 Castlederg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Cloud and a fresh wind creating a big temperature difference between the N, NW, W to the S , E and SE . Quite fresh along the SW Coasts.

1mglXsm.png

ic62abI.png

MwSc9V3.png

G3ZwREr.png

wUfar3R.png

1elcrVA.png

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement