Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turning very warm/hot, heatwave conditions likely; Sunday 24th -->

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭squarecircles

and it all breaks down in a blaze of glory with a thundery low out of biscay.

ballooning azores back over us after the breakdown.

airpressure.png

• Registered Users Posts: 13,613 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Lots of comparisons will be made with this heatwave to 1976 and as a result, I have made this video to give you an insight into the Summer of 1976.

It was the year that ABBA was number one on the charts and Denis Howell was appointed Minister for Drought (but was followed by thunderstorms and a very wet Autumn).

Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

JCX BXC wrote: »
    No indication of when it'll end yet. Models are split

I'd take November,in reality the rest of June and July would do just nicely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Malayalam

Great video, Sryanbruen, really enjoyed watching it.

• Advertisement

just perusing the red tops about the heatwave and i always notice this tradition of people jumping into manky dirty urban rivers,whats that about? people on the continent tend to go to the beach when the weathers fine,iv just never seen it happen anywhere else.

who in their right mind would want to jump into the royal canal in Dublin,it looks filthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭highdef

just perusing the red tops about the heatwave and i always notice this tradition of people jumping into manky dirty urban rivers,whats that about? people on the continent tend to go to the beach when the weathers fine,iv just never seen it happen anywhere else.

who in their right mind would want to jump into the royal canal in Dublin,it looks filthy.

Looked crystal clear when I was walking alongside it yesterday near Bluebell

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭pad199207

highdef wrote: »
    Looked crystal clear when I was walking alongside it yesterday near Bluebell

The Grand Canal ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Here is a new nickname for the period of fine warm weather forecasted over the weekend and into next week. Best From The West! I heard it on the radio this morning. It is apposed to The Beast From The East earlier this year.

staring at this might come in handy next week. What a year its been so far...

[IMG][/img]iz6kc4.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Jpmarn wrote: »
    Here is a new nickname for the period of fine warm weather forecasted over the weekend and into next week. Best From The West! I heard it on the radio this morning. It is apposed to The Beast From The East earlier this year.

But this is also from the east! From the West you'd just get Atlantic muck ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭highdef

pad199207 wrote: »
    The Grand Canal ;)

Good point! So used to mentioning the Royal Canal as it's close by to my house.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Saturday looks like the start of the warmth with low 20's, then 25C definitely possible by Sunday across much of the country. Leinster and the east coast thankfully will fair much better this time around with high 20's possible for much of next week.

Bottle's of water should be advised for those M50 rush hour journeys.

Stunning 12z runs from both the GFS and UKMO.

50Z5ZAz.png

yhW30yp.gif

Looking back at this comment from March, Calibos you teaser! You must have joined forces with Joanna. :D

hRRvEp0.png

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭pad199207

Looking at these runs this evening, its Deja Vu July 2013!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Not liking the trend the GFS is showing for the worst of the heat to be in western and midland areas once again. By the end of next week, this model is showing dewpoint temps into the low 20s over the region:

2mdp_198.jpg?2018062012

Am hoping the ECM will prove to be the more correct model on this one, as it is showing the most intense warmth staying in the east of Ireland, not that it looks anyway cool on this side.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

What kind of humidity should we be expecting with such a blast of heat?? 50%+?

Arpege 12z maximum temperatures for this weekend since it's now in the range for this model.

Rommrht.png

8tF4QAk.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

Is that a 46 I see over northern France?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Mobhi1 wrote: »

That's the number on the bottom of the scale, highest over northern france is actually about 26c from what I can see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Mobhi1 wrote: »

No, that's one of the scale numbers. If you look closely it's light blue.

Not that it'll be too chilly in France :pac:

Navgem :pac:, hilarious model. Why does it even exist?

vIZDITN.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

GEM 12z is lovely too and just gets warmer and warmer, lots of 15c+ 850hpa air pushing up over the country again in the latter frames.

GEMOPEU00_240_2.png

sryanbruen wrote: »

Is that black hole over Belgium meant to indicate off the scale - i.e. >/46 degrees? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Did I read correctly somewhere that Met Eireann will issue yellow,orange and possibly red alerts if the temperatures go high to very high ?.I think that's potentially losing the plot.Its bad enough having Joanna,Jean etc giving them in Autumn/Winter and Spring,but please give us a break when at last we have a good Summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

sryanbruen wrote: »

Would no doubt be interesting to see how Londoners cope with 40c.

Did I read correctly somewhere that Met Eireann will issue yellow,orange and possibly red alerts if the temperatures go high to very high ?.I think that's potentially losing the plot.Its bad enough having Joanna,Jean etc giving them in Autumn/Winter and Spring,but please give us a break when at last we have a good Summer.

Yellow is any max above 27 degrees and looks almost certain.

Orange is max above 30 degrees and minima above 25 iirc

Red is as per Orange but for > 2 days

I know from experience living on the continent (specifically Belgium) that if temperatures exceed 37 all public buildings, schools etc are closed down. Don't think we'll get to that extreme but 27 here will feel like 37 there.

Met have gone there
    OUTLOOK: Dry, calm and settled with high pressure building. Becoming warmer and sunnier this weekend with values reaching mid twenties, (warmest on Sunday). Values climbing further into next week with possible heat wave conditions setting in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Not looking forward to this to be honest, hopefully the humidity will be okay at least but this is Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Agent_47

sdanseo wrote: »
    Met have gone there

Bring it on, memories of a long winter this year with no spring, I for one will be enjoying it.

BBQ will get proper exercise this year

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement