Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turning very warm/hot, heatwave conditions likely; Sunday 24th -->

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Here's a tip for you - if you have a fan in your house, don't use it to try and cool a room down as that doesn't really work if it's not pointed at you.

Instead, open a window really wide, position the fan about 100cm from it and point it outwards. Turn it up full blast.

Now go and open another window somewhere else in the house, and presuming that it's colder outside than inside, that cold air will be dragged into the house to replace the hot air expelled via the fan.

Obvious when you think about it, but it seems weird to point your fans out!

Adjust your strategy if there's a decent prevailing wind, ie. don't point your fan into an incoming wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

That 16c in Dublin just seems so nice right now.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

New maximum temperature record here at Durrow since our station started recording in 2010.

https://twitter.com/LaoisWeather/status/1012074176730017792

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

sdanseo wrote: »
    Sitting in Dublin in a warm house, windows all open again, in shorts and a jersey and still too warm. Need a fan, ice cream or a cold shower. Or maybe all three.

Have to close the windows soon before dark or it'll be like eight legged freaks in here sadly :(

Same in Newbridge

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Absolute blissful evening at Fr. Collins' Park.

ENCEhHP.jpg

• Advertisement

The somewhat more sensible HIRLAM model going for 30c maxes over pretty much the same regions where they occurred today. Same story for Friday too:

2mtemp_022.jpg?2018062718

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Gonzo wrote: »
    I'd bet on it being even warmer than that. Models getting a grip now on the continuation of the settled spell but reckon they are underdoing how warm that air is we will be dragging in from the near continent from Sunday. Watch as that gets upgraded. :)

yep and looks like the Greater Dublin area could potentially be warmer next week than this week, with very little influence from the Irish Sea. 25/26C, even higher could be possible in Dublin City next week, rather than the high teens/low 20s it's had for most of this week.

Phoenix Park recorded max of just under 28c today so Dublin is getting the hot temps this week also!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,758 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Last from me for this evening. This is the position on Sunday...

ARPOPEU12_102_1.png

Very warm, continental breezes continuing - temps mid to high 20's, occasionally 30+...? we shall see...

:cool:

ongarboy wrote: »
    Phoenix Park recorded max of just under 28c today so Dublin is getting the hot temps this week also!

I think the general difference between the warm/hot temps in the east and those in the west is those in the latter are hanging around much longer.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

That low in the Bay of biscay really isn't moving, or if it is, its very slow (thankfully! :D ) and if I am just making things up, does it look further south and more to the west on that image?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

MJohnston wrote: »
    Here's a tip for you - if you have a fan in your house, don't use it to try and cool a room down as that doesn't really work if it's not pointed at you.

Instead, open a window really wide, position the fan about 100cm from it and point it outwards. Turn it up full blast.

Now go and open another window somewhere else in the house, and presuming that it's colder outside than inside, that cold air will be dragged into the house to replace the hot air expelled via the fan.

Obvious when you think about it, but it seems weird to point your fans out!

Adjust your strategy if there's a decent prevailing wind, ie. don't point your fan into an incoming wind.

For some diy air conditioning, place a bowl of ice in front of a standard room fan in your bedroom (put the bowl on a small table or stand so it is raised off the floor). When making the ice, add some rock salt to lower the freezing temperature of the water. I’ve tried this on holiday in France with ambient room temps of 33c and it has a nice cooling effect...until the ice has all melted of course :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

ongarboy wrote: »
    My max was only 25.2c so quite a big difference over just a few miles, me being much nearer the sea being the obvious reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Yeah doing surprisingly well in Dublin. Kermit was spot on and glad he relaxed my fears a few days ago.

But above is right - temperatures fly back post 9pm in Dublin. No issues whatsoever with sleeping here. Full duvets as per usual. Helps my house is a little drafty but once the windows are opened in the late afternoon our indoor temperatures fly down. Only the front of the house gets sun after 1pm and after 7pm none of the window facing parts of the house get sunlight which further helps things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Have they taken in the roads yet?

I open the attic door at 10 PM and let the warm air rise into the roof where due to lack of insulation it should cool fairly quickly (relatively speaking).

21.2 here according to Micks weather station.

impossible to sleep without windows open or under duvets in Cork, room is 25 degrees now with windows open all day and curtains drawn. Oh well

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

lawred2 wrote: »
    Just went for a run. Glorious. It's amazing how a warm evening makes running such a pleasure.

I'll second that. The country smells so much different right now too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

It is bearable now in Dublin where I am.

But the heat has been trapped all day upstairs, and I know heat rises.

That is despite my own advice to everyone to keep blinds down and curtains pulled during the day too, well on those windows that get full sun anyway!

We will survive this, we will.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

impossible to sleep without windows open or under duvets in Cork, room is 25 degrees now with windows open all day and curtains drawn. Oh well

Were all drinking lots of alcohol to help with that, are you not:)

Have they taken in the roads yet?

Nope, but they need to! :D

https://twitter.com/LaoisWeather/status/1012052233561804800

iamtony wrote: »
    Were all drinking lots of alcohol to help with that, are you not:)

Since I turned 18 a week and a half ago, drink has been a factor. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Beautiful evening out there now with a bright full moon, haven't got a gauge but just back from a walk and still feeling very warm.

Something interesting I noticed, theres big stone walls along the footpaths here in Maynooth and its like walking alongside a radiator on full blast at the moment, some serious heat coming off them and really noticeable even from a couple of feet away, never really experienced that before!

The council spread lime and grit on the roads today:

https://twitter.com/JMulhall75/status/1011926101378129920

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Beautiful evening out there now with a bright full moon, haven't got a gauge but just back from a walk and still feeling very warm.

Something interesting I noticed, theres big stone walls along the footpaths here in Maynooth and its like walking alongside a radiator on full blast at the moment, some serious heat coming off them and really noticeable even from a couple of feet away, never really experienced that before!

That's thermal mass in action.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

With warmer uppers moving over us tonight I see no reason why the temp can't rise by another 2C tomorrow.
    For me the record is under threat

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Gonzo wrote: »
    yep and looks like the Greater Dublin area could potentially be warmer next week than this week, with very little influence from the Irish Sea. 25/26C, even higher could be possible in Dublin City next week, rather than the high teens/low 20s it's had for most of this week.

Dublin did fairly well today. 27.5 at Casement and 26.5 at Dublin Airport. A bit better than I thought we'd get.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Me house alarm sensors around the house at the moment.

454412.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

That's thermal mass in action.

Yeah I've felt warm concrete on a cool night plenty of times before but never had the walls actually warm me up as I was walking! I could even feel the air moving as the hot air was rising off them, pretty cool

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

The front of our house is red-brick and gets alot of sun, the heat off them is amazing, it means opening the Windows is fruitless as it lets the heat in!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Me house alarm sensors around the house at the moment.

That's very cool GL, how do you get that kind of setup?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

11pm
    Very warm in the west:

Mace head 22 degrees
    Shannon 22 degrees
    Newport 21
    Knock 21
    Athenry 21

East cooling down nicely:

Dublin airport 14 degrees
    Phoenix Park 15 degrees